Least Fav POV?

TyrionsFlagon

I liked Arys' PoV. It wasn't crucial to the plot, sure, but it made for nice characterization.

Dany's chapters in DwD just seem like all the stuff that happens in them is completely unrelated to the main plot and is eventually completely inconsequential. Is there actually anyone out there who cares about the players and politics in Meereen ? And the whole "who is the Harpy" thing ? Or what happens to Daario at all ?

Dany's chapters in DwD just seem like all the stuff that happens in them is completely unrelated to the main plot and is eventually completely inconsequential. Is there actually anyone out there who cares about the players and politics in Meereen ? And the whole "who is the Harpy" thing ? Or what happens to Daario at all ?

1. That's actually the impression I got when I first read it. I couldn't put my finger on what the bloody hell it had to do with anything else that was going on. Most of the Westerosi who were supposed to be going to meet Dany either bailed out or never arrived before the end of the book, and the guy who did get there ... well ...

2. I think many people who like Dany as a character probably care at least a little about Meereen. But I don't, so I don't. :)

The Green Grace is (95% likely) the Harpy. You're welcome! :D

4. I do care what happened to Daario, insofar as I want a messy ending.

1. That's actually the impression I got when I first read it. I couldn't put my finger on what the bloody hell it had to do with anything else that was going on. Most of the Westerosi who were supposed to be going to meet Dany either bailed out or never arrived before the end of the book, and the guy who did get there ... well ...

That's what irked me the most. Before reading DwD, I heard about this "meereeneese knot" thing and I kept hoping all the characters would actually converge there. But nope. The only one of her suitors I actually liked died, so yeah... poor Quent :(

2. I think many people who like Dany as a character probably care at least a little about Meereen. But I don't, so I don't. :)

Well I did like her as a character before she got to Meereen. Meereen made me dislike her very strongly.

My reaction to finding that out was "ah." ... Seriously, how is that relevant to the overall plot ?

4. I do care what happened to Daario, insofar as I want a messy ending.

Well me too, sorta, but his interactions with Dany don't make for great writing...

That's what irked me the most. Before reading DwD, I heard about this "meereeneese knot" thing and I kept hoping all the characters would actually converge there. But nope. The only one of her suitors I actually liked died, so yeah... poor Quent :(

:(

Well I did like her as a character before she got to Meereen. Meereen made me dislike her very strongly.

:cheers: Join the club.

My reaction to finding that out was "ah." ... Seriously, how is that relevant to the overall plot ?

Either it will be revealed and matter in regards to Barristan trying to hold the city, or we'll never find out for sure, in which case, it probably won't matter.

Well me too, sorta, but his interactions with Dany don't make for great writing...

What, you don't like reading about how Daario had her in "every way a man could have a woman"?

EXACTLY!

Although I think she probably has no clue of why things are happening the way they are happening, at least from her

exchange with Barristan in Meereen .

But I still think Brienne's riverland excursion is the most boring of the POVs.

Why everybody hates on areoh povs? he has like 2. He isnt pov like jaime or anyone else because he is pov just to show sunspear court, and thats it-get that in your heads!

jon povs in acok were boring because grrm writes about his made up landscape, so are later chapters of arya in asos and briennes in affc, not because characters are boring, oh yes same thing with bran. I couldn`t stand those things in lotr and memory sorrow and thorn, and also in asoiaf. For now only harry potter is the book without the boring bits. Even the bible has them.

though i really like the character, Brienne in FfC bored me to death, except for the last 2 or 3 of her chapters.. the same would stand for Bran in ASoS, but in that case i got to like the Reeds, so it hasn't been that awful :D

I have to stifle a groan every time I come to a Damphair chapter. I'd just skip them altogether if I wasn't so anal, but it would drive me mad and I wouldn't be able to concentrate, knowing I'd skipped an entire chapter, so I just force myself to plow through his POVs. I do have a quirk, though, where I look ahead and count how many pages his chapters are, so that I know exactly how many pages I have to get through before I'm done ("That's two pages down and four to go...now three...").

Pate's chapter in AFFC was a long hard slog for me, too, even though I knew that Important And Significant Stuff always goes down in prologue POVs. But, meh, it still bored me to tears.

I wouldn't say it was my least favorite, but I found the Pate prologue hard to follow. IIRC there were 7 characters introduced that we'd never met before, all talking about additional characters that were also new. At least with Chet they were talking about LC Mormont, Sam and the Night's Watch. You knew that Chet's plans would effect other characters you were invested in.

Areo Hotah's are another difficult set of chapters, for similar reasons. You don't get much personality from him.

Aeron Damphair is just a character I hate. Maybe he and Melisandre will meet and cancel each other out... A world of water and fire... hehehe

Mh I am just going by what I can say with looking at all POV's during the wole series so far, since some were pretty different in some books (Dany as best example).

It's hard for me to judge some, because they got so few like Arys, although his chapter was good, but then he died, gnarr. Areo's chapters are interesting, but with that I mean everything else in his chapters, not him and that's a problem for me, since I also want to read much about the character and Areo... he likes his axe at least. I still don't see why GRRM couldn't simply summarize all Dorne chapters with Arianne, would have been better for her.

Otherwise I don't like Aeron, the kingsmoot chapter was good, but I don't warm up with his character.

Fatwell Tarly was so far only annoying, although there is hope with the Oldtown stuff.

Oh and Quentyn too. His chapters felt so... optional, don't know how to describe it correctly. Although I have to admit that his last chapter was one of the best in ADWD, just as honorable mention. Especially with his arc ending in ADWD his POV felt so pointless, I have problems if a character just got introduced, got a few screentime and then dies in the same book.

Why everybody hates on areoh povs? he has like 2. He isnt pov like jaime or anyone else because he is pov just to show sunspear court, and thats it-get that in your heads!

We already have a POV at Sunspear, though - Arianne. Why was it necessary to add another POV, and a mind-numbingly boring one at that? Why couldn't his chapters instead be given to Arianne and used to develop her further?

Oh and Quentyn too. His chapters felt so... optional, don't know how to describe it correctly. Although I have to admit that his last chapter was one of the best in ADWD, just as honorable mention. Especially with his arc ending in ADWD his POV felt so pointless, I have problems if a character just got introduced, got a few screentime and then dies in the same book.

I'm still a little mad at GRRM for robbing us of the Red Vider of Dorne so fast. So much wasted potential in that character.

Daenerys Targaryen. I am halfway through ASoS and except for the ending of AGoT, I have dreaded her chapters. All the rest I can go through even if with some difficulty, like that of Sansa's but Daenerys Targaryen is just a bit too difficult to read.

My favourite though, unlike many people here believe, are those of Bran's. I have always loved his chapters. I know he has a bigger role to play further down in the story, and so too Arya. But Bran is my favourite. He has been since the start. And if many of you believe that his earlier chapters which I have been loving so far were bad, and that the ones in ADwD are great, I can't wait to get there!! I know I have a long and hard journey to reach there, through AFfC and all that, but still, I am eagerly awaiting all the action.

I also love everything that has happened in the North, especially North of the Wall. Beyond-the-Wall scenes are my favourite ever since I started reading the series.

Archived