The specifics of Joff's....digestion problems....

I'm Unsullied

Littlefinger let Lysa kill her husband Jon Arryn.

He obtained the title Lord of Harrenhal. technically that gives him the Riverlands.

Then he was able to marry the mother of the Lord of the Vale.

Then he murdered Lysa.

He marries Sansa to the heir of the Vale, when Sweetrobin is out of the way,

The Vale Lords will back Sansa in her claim to Winterfell.

He then has power over the Vale, the Riverlands and the North

That beats a seat at the small council.

Ha Thanks guys, I can make a spoiler now.

Crown, this is what I think Littlefingers strategy was/is.

Littlefinger let Lysa kill her husband Jon Arryn.

He obtained the title Lord of Harrenhal. technically that gives him the Riverlands.

Then he was able to marry the mother of the Lord of the Vale.

Then he murdered Lysa.

He marries Sansa to the heir of the Vale, when Sweetrobin is out of the way,

The Vale Lords will back Sansa in her claim to Winterfell.

He then has power over the Vale, the Riverlands and the North

That beats a seat at the small council.

Ha Thanks guys, I can make a spoiler now.

Crown, this is what I think Littlefingers strategy was/is.

Yeah, I think you are right. I just thought about it while I posted my questions. Damn, that guy is a genius.

But LF has no power over the riverlands unless he actually goes to Harrenhall with an army of his own, and restores the castle's power. He also needs to call on the river lords to pay him homage at his seat Harrenhall.

Somewhere in that plotting of his he needs to reserve at least half a year of time and acquire an army that follows him into the riverlands - otherwise Harrenhall is just an empty title.

I doubt the Vale lords would do as he bids them, if he's just lord of Harrenhall on paper.

But LF has no power over the riverlands unless he actually goes to Harrenhall with an army of his own, and restores the castle's power. He also needs to call on the river lords to pay him homage at his seat Harrenhall.

Somewhere in that plotting of his he needs to reserve at least half a year of time and acquire an army that follows him into the riverlands - otherwise Harrenhall is just an empty title.

True. The empty title paid off already, though.

It gained him the marriage to the Vale. He coudn't marry Lysa as Lord Petyr Baelish of the Fingers.

End of Storm of Swords and beginning of A Feast for Crows, spoilers:

First he has to get the Lords of the Vale under his 'command' and recognize him as ruler of the Vale. Secondly, he has to reveal Alayne as Sansa Stark and claim Winterfell, since she's the only living child of Eddard Stark. If he succeeds, it wouldn't be difficult to claim Harrenhall and rule over the Riverlands, the Vale and Winterfell.

Didn't Littlefinger raise the possibility that Margaery could have been told to not drink after a certain moment?

I don't remember his saying this.

Anyway, my vote goes to "Garlan the Gallant" as being the one who actually puts the poison in Joff's wine cup. He lulls Tyrion into thinking he's a nice guy by saying kind words to him (and before that, Sansa, at her wedding dance) but he's in the perfect position to put it into his wine cup, then give Margaery a look or something that says "okay, DON'T drink now".

• 6 months later...

Littlefinger was behind all of it.

- Petyr writes the note "meet me in the godswood if you want to go home" to Sansa. She goes and meets Dontos.

- Sansa meets Ser Dontos numerous times and thinks he is the one who will help her get out, but really Dontos was working for Petyr.

- Dontos gives Sansa the poisoned hairnet and tells her to wear it to the wedding feast, which she does.

- At the wedding feast the Queen of Thorns straightens Sansa's hair, this giving herself access to the hair net

- When Joffrey gets into the argument with Tyrion he takes the chalice with him. Margaery and the QoT come over to him on the pretense of getting him to come back to the head table and cut the pie. The chalice got left behind while they did this. This is when I think the QoT poisoned the wine with the added benefit that it made it look like Tyrion was responsible. Remember that it was Littlefinger who arranged for the dwarf joust knowing that it would rankle Tyrion and probaby make Joffrey strike out to hurt his uncle.

I think Margaery was in on it the whole time. She may look sweet and innocent, but she has been under her grandmother's tutelage. That is why she wasn't terribly concerned about Sansa's warning's of Joffrey's cruelty. She knew he wasn't going to be around long enough for it to matter. In fact I would bet is was all planned before Littlefinger even left his initial meeting with the Tyrells.

I don't think it was Garlan, I think he really is just a "nice guy". They talk of poison being the weapon of women and eunichs. I don't think "Garlan the Gallant" or "The Knight of Flowers" would think to use poison. It would harm their honor. Besides, all the men in that family seem pretty clueless when it comes to the "game". It's the QoT who is really into the strategy.

Another hint that it was the QoT who did the poisoning is her name, Oleanna, which I think is a nod to the very poisonous Oleander.

I side with the Littlefinger/Tyrell plot. I absolutely love Margaery and agree that she's a little schemer along with her grandmother. I just finished re-reading this part of the story and was confused about LF's motives as well. We all know he's obsessed with power and trying to win over the Vale in AFfC. We shall see if/how/when he obtains his power. I wish he wasn't so damn evil and conniving.

Littlefinger was behind all of it.

- Petyr writes the note "meet me in the godswood if you want to go home" to Sansa. She goes and meets Dontos.

- Sansa meets Ser Dontos numerous times and thinks he is the one who will help her get out, but really Dontos was working for Petyr.

- Dontos gives Sansa the poisoned hairnet and tells her to wear it to the wedding feast, which she does.

- At the wedding feast the Queen of Thorns straightens Sansa's hair, this giving herself access to the hair net

- When Joffrey gets into the argument with Tyrion he takes the chalice with him. Margaery and the QoT come over to him on the pretense of getting him to come back to the head table and cut the pie. The chalice got left behind while they did this. This is when I think the QoT poisoned the wine with the added benefit that it made it look like Tyrion was responsible. Remember that it was Littlefinger who arranged for the dwarf joust knowing that it would rankle Tyrion and probaby make Joffrey strike out to hurt his uncle.

I thought this was one of the more clear things in the book--is there really any doubt regarding Tyrion's innocence? When he lied to Jaime at the end, I thought it was just out of spite since Joffrey was his son.

I thought this was one of the more clear things in the book--is there really any doubt regarding Tyrion's innocence? When he lied to Jaime at the end, I thought it was just out of spite since Joffrey was his son.

No, there is NO doubt about Tyrion's innocence. The chapter where Joff dies is from his point-of-view, I think. We see he didn't do it.

Archived