Game of Thrones RPG Official Site Opens, 2nd Trailer

Westeros

I can't understand how people can make the connection that any fantasy game that has elements of medieval history or fiction is a rip-off of Martin's world. Skyrim has giants, mammoths, dragons, a human that's "dragonborn", undead with glowing blue eyes and a northern setting. Martin didn't invent any of these, either. The Witcher 2 has multiple kings vying for power, a villian named the "Kingslayer", intrigue, betrayal, swords, and a castle as a setting in the game. Is it a rip-off of Martin too?

"The developers have cited "realistic" fantasy fiction such as George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and fantasy paintings by artists such as Frank Frazettaas inspiration for the game." -Wikipedia.

I wasnt making a blind assumption, i was going off what ive read in developer diaries and interviews. Now, just making a gritty 'realistic' fantasy rpg in no way makes it a rip off of soiaf. Straight up taking ideas, plot and characters does.

Alistair: Bastard born from a king and fostered by a noble, later joins an ancient order dedicated to defending the realm from a supernatural evil. Also his step mum hated him.

The King is killed, a death orchestrated by the father of the queen, who assumes command, while her father, a noble of great repute and power is actually in control.

The Grey Wardens were an order of warriors and rangers dedicated to fighting supernatural evil that threatens the land, they can hold no titles and marry no wives or bear children. Their numbers are dwindling as the threat they stand to fight has fallen into legend.

It just really bothered me, trying to play it and seeing all these things. Its not even similarity, its pretty straight up.

Dragon Age is a great series of games (love the 2nd one even). I played DA before I found out about ASOIAF/GoT, so none of the similarities hit me. But now that I play it, I do see them now.

I believe this game will be a fun one. If the story is written by GRRM, then it has to have that at least riding on its shoulders. The graphics don't even look bad, either. Look on par with Dragon Age to me, and the graphics for that weren't that bad. I say give it a chance.

I don't think that playing the game is the blind a

"The developers have cited "realistic" fantasy fiction such as George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and fantasy paintings by artists such as Frank Frazettaas inspiration for the game." -Wikipedia.

I wasnt making a blind assumption, i was going off what ive read in developer diaries and interviews. Now, just making a gritty 'realistic' fantasy rpg in no way makes it a rip off of soiaf. Straight up taking ideas, plot and characters does.

Alistair: Bastard born from a king and fostered by a noble, later joins an ancient order dedicated to defending the realm from a supernatural evil. Also his step mum hated him.

The King is killed, a death orchestrated by the father of the queen, who assumes command, while her father, a noble of great repute and power is actually in control.

The Grey Wardens were an order of warriors and rangers dedicated to fighting supernatural evil that threatens the land, they can hold no titles and marry no wives or bear children. Their numbers are dwindling as the threat they stand to fight has fallen into legend.

It just really bothered me, trying to play it and seeing all these things. Its not even similarity, its pretty straight up.

I didn't think it was a blind assumption. Plus I think playing the game is a better indicator of the final product, and formation of an opinion, than a few lines cited on wikipedia or a passing sentence in a preview. Anyways, I came off a bit harsh, my apologies. You have some good points too... didn't connect Logain to Tywin. It is a striking similarity, though Tywin would have probably gotten to job done and killed the PC. Logain was a better choice. :drunk:

Mostly upset that people will pass off some pretty decent media because of similarities to another form of media. Others have passed that game over because of the LOTR "connection" too. I hope you give it another go, because it has some really good roleplaying scenarios that really immerse you in the game (Why we love rpgs in the first place, right!). I hope that GOT is half as good as DA:O, I really hope...

When is the Website going to actually "open" up? There are three unlockable settings/areas for the website that you need to LIKE to unlock, but there's no LIKE button to be found. The game is out in two months, let us see all the site!

The only reason why this game might succeed is the story, GRRM also works on it according to the trailer.

In all the other areas it is probally going to fail horribly. The studio is to small and they haven't got enough production time. The graphics look like a game from 2007.

I wonder how they're going to include Westeros in the game, is it going to be an open world? Skyrim, for example, was maybe the size of Skagos, perhaps even smaller.. Massive job, unless they trimm the size of Westeros immensely (travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing in 10 minutes lolz)

I wonder how they're going to include Westeros in the game, is it going to be an open world? Skyrim, for example, was maybe the size of Skagos, perhaps even smaller.. Massive job, unless they trimm the size of Westeros immensely (travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing in 10 minutes lolz)

From what I've gathered, it won't be anything like Skyrim. It'll be in chapters with emphasis on the narrative. It'll probably show a small map of some of the North and the some of the Crownlands (like DA or the star map in ME). You'll reach the edge of the in-game map, and then it'll load to the "overview" map, you'll choose the next location you want to visit, and it'll "fast-travel" you there will another load screen. Or there may not even be an "overview" map, and you'll have to complete the main quest, then it'll send you packing to the new location. You may not even get to return to the previous locations. For example, you might be forced to go to King's Landing after finshing the Castle Black scenario, and then Castle Black could be locked out for the rest of the game.

Castle Black, and King's Landing are the two well known locations we'll see, and they won't match the HBO series since the game was in development long before they got involved. I doubt, very much, that we'll see Winterfell or any other major locale with the exception of the two mentioned above.

Skyrim - 16 square miles of virtual terrain - 256 miles

Skagos - 300 miles by 150 miles - 45000 square miles in size as estimated by Free Northman @ http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58529-skagos/

Skyrim is possibly the largest, most detailed game-world ever created. Bethsoft and ZeniMax Media are probably the best devs ever at creating massive living worlds.

"ZeniMax Media Inc. today announced the closing of a US$150 Million investment by Providence Equity Partners, a leading private equity firm, in convertible preferred stock of the Company. The proceeds will be used to fund additional growth through increased game development, expanded publishing operations, and strategic acquisitions. The new investment by Providence supplements an earlier investment of US$300 Million made by the firm in October 2007". Oct 2010

As an open-world game, like Skyrim, it would be impossible to render Westeros. Maybe an RTS, or a Mount & Blade sandbox game with a over-world map that can't be explored, but even making the Wall and some of the Gift true to scale would take a huge, experienced team many years. I don't think Cyandine has half a billion dollars kicking around just for marketing and r&d.

Only studios I could see doing "proper" ASOIAF games would be Taleworlds and CD Projekt. I despise Bethesda games (bought Skyrim thinking it would be better, regret it) so they'd hardly be the right studio for me.

It's just a shame that a big franchise like this was handed to a second-rate studio.

and an over complicated gameplay mechanic

Wait, what were you expecting? It was supposed to be a throwback to old CRPGs, and even then it was much less complex than, say, Baldur's Gate 2.

also, the "post reply" button in the post menu doesn't seem to work. Have to use quick reply.

I found where the Facebook "LIKE" button is, so you can unlock new information about the site. If you read the tutorial at the start of the site, the third page tells about the unlockables. It shows a pic of the FB thumbs up, then even gives a date of January 12th on the slider with the four sections.

But when you go to the actual site, there is no FB "LIKE" on the slider with the four partions. And WTF is with the date? I guess it's just an example of more failed expectation. Every gamer I've come into contact with is already very concerned about Cyanide selling them half a game. 90% of the posts about the game have been negative. This whole half-assed website nonsense isn't doing them any favors either. There's nothing on the site, as of now, that gives new info on the game. Nothing that we don't know already. They certainly set themselves up for a failure.

So I tried find the AGOT forum on Cyanide's website to, at the very least, inform them of this. But there are no GOT forums on their website. :bang:

Is it just me who thinks ASOIAF would be way better off as a MMORPG? Just with the nature of the different Kingdoms and such, and I say this as someone who's never gotten into those games outside of a 3 month World of Warcraft player a few years back.

Either way hopefully there's a lot of freedom in this, and there's a chance to explore Westeros. That alone might be worth the cost of the game.

Skyrim - 16 square miles of virtual terrain - 256 miles

Skagos - 300 miles by 150 miles - 45000 square miles in size as estimated by Free Northman @ http://asoiaf.wester...c/58529-skagos/

As an open-world game, like Skyrim, it would be impossible to render Westeros. Maybe an RTS, or a Mount & Blade sandbox game with a over-world map that can't be explored, but even making the Wall and some of the Gift true to scale would take a huge, experienced team many years. I don't think Cyandine has half a billion dollars kicking around just for marketing and r&d.

They could condense the world of ASOIAF, reproducing it as is would be impossible and simply not enjoyable to navigate. Video games can make a relatively small virtual place seem massive, but before we get ahead of ourselves they would need to create a game that is interesting. As good as the books are I personally don't see them leading themselves well to the gaming medium.

Why graphics are so bad? Anyone have an idea?
Because it's an independent studio. Also, why are we judging the merits of all other aspects of the game by graphics? People seem to have no idea that one can squeeze out a lot of innovation from simple concepts and small time if people are intelligently working behind the scenes. I may eat my words, but why do we have to be so cynical about the potential to be great?

A game like Skyrim set in Westeros would be amazing.
I don't agree at all, which is ironic in such a tremendous fashion that I won't bother to explain. No one seems to understand what makes a great RPG. They seem to think that Western RPGs are automatically better because it inherently displays some sense of freedom? What happened to having something carefully constructed and lovingly crafted to such a degree that something feels bigger than it is? That's what the TV show is like. Games like The Witcher (1+2) prove that there is a lot of merit in at least a linear concept with open gameplay. I jsut can't stand the thought that in a world of limiting technology (and it is, believe me) that we might throw away the ideas of closeness and development merely to satisfy the "gamey" feel of something. So no, an Elder Scolls like RPG of ASoIaF (at least at the current time) would be both infeasible and nowhere near as good as something more set in it's mind. The nature of the world prevents such a system.

For anyone interested, the Game of Thrones Xbox 360 is available for Pre Order for 44.99 on amazon.com. Not sure how long the promotion will last, the PS3 one is still 59.96.

That is probably highway robbery considering the prospective quality of the game.

How about waiting a month or two after it comes out and paying $15 for it straight from the bargain bin^

This pre-order promotion is obviously a preemptive ploy to reduce losses.

Even though I love the books, the show, the world that GRRM created I still think it can compete with all the wonderful RPGs available.

Apart from varying factions of soldiers there is limited fantasy, you've got wights, Others, direwolves, dragons mammoths and giants.

I'm assuming the the GA wants more diversity then that.

Archived