Dexter: SPOILERS for Season 7

mor2

Are we allowed spoilers? Because this season pretty much laid out how far this show has fallen from Season 1. The incompetency of the entire department, Dexter always having luck on his side, the soap opera love stories - bleh.

I tried to get into Dexter a few weeks ago. Gave up towards the end of the first series. I thought the whole thing was very sleek and polished, but it was focused so much on the central char that the ensemble cast seemed kind of pallid in comparison - probably a side effect of having an SK as the point of view. It meant that any episode that wasn't critically important to Dexter's development felt like filler. And the shows I love best all have strong ensembles.

Now, reading these reviews, I'm glad that I got out when I did. I think even back in S1 I may have felt that the show would fade because of a combination of greed and an unwillingness to let Dexter ever go completely Steerpike or to change the formula some other way.

Are we allowed spoilers? Because this season pretty much laid out how far this show has fallen from Season 1. The incompetency of the entire department, Dexter always having luck on his side, the soap opera love stories - bleh.

unfortunately you are right, that usually the case, when tv shows getting too many seasons and you know you are going to wach it because you just have to know how it ends...

I thought the whole thing was very sleek and polished, but it was focused so much on the central char that the ensemble cast seemed kind of pallid in comparison

My God man, if that's how you felt in Season 1, your head would probably explode before you made it to the end.

My God man, if that's how you felt in Season 1, your head would probably explode before you made it to the end.

I quite liked LaGuerta and Doakes; Deb and Angel left me cold, while Vince appeared to have about 0.5 dimensions. So, given what I've read happens at the end of S2, my head probably would explode, yes. Lucky I decided not to watch it!

I gave up in season 3, which was when I realized the story wasn't going anywhere. Big stuff happened often enough, but either Dexter got an easy way out or everyone forgot about it the next season so it had no consequences. I like my shows to change from season to season. How long am I supposed to enjoy seeing Dexter kill one-dimensional villains?

I gave up in season 3, which was when I realized the story wasn't going anywhere. Big stuff happened often enough, but either Dexter got an easy way out or everyone forgot about it the next season so it had no consequences. I like my shows to change from season to season. How long am I supposed to enjoy seeing Dexter kill one-dimensional villains?

I hear you regarding the writing, but you missed out on the best Dexter villain of all time in Season 4. John Lithgow was anything but one-dimensional.

I hear you regarding the writing, but you missed out on the best Dexter villain of all time in Season 4. John Lithgow was anything but one-dimensional.

I'm sure a great actor can compensate for a lot of flaws, but I have read summaries and comments about seasons 4, 5, and 6 and I didn't like the plot. You would think that Rita's murder would shake things up, to say the least, but as far as I can tell, nothing has really changed.

I'm really curious to know if season 7 is going to be different for real now that Deb knows. Not curious enough to actually see an episode. I'm content to read someone else's review.

unfortunately you are right, that usually the case, when tv shows getting too many seasons and you know you are going to wach it because you just have to know how it ends...

You don't have to watch it to know how it ends. :)

My biggest problem is when Dexter seems to be the only one that realizes simple stuff like the killer might go after the victim that got away.

The characters just jump from one dramatic arc to another, story lines are dropped with no explanation, Dexter can do stuff like disappear for days without any problem.

I have a weird feeling Season 7 is going to be terrible. I'll be tuning in to Wikipedia for the summaries though.

Yep, this series should have ended with a bang at the end of season 5 (which I liked less than the preceding ones, too). While the last 3 episodes were, IMHO, slightly less boring than the season that preceded them, there was a lot of WTF stuff in them. I mean D&D :love:, really? While not biological incest, that's certainly a psychological one. As somebody said, incest seems to be the new pink on network TV.

Also, deeply disappointed that Deb didn't get to slowly piece it all together and to figure Dexter out with dawning horror. IMHO, it would have been a way more compelling plot-line than the Doomsday plod.

Not going to watch the next season unless I hear that it is actually good.

P.S. 2 more seasons?! Are you kidding? I guess that I have to revise this - I am not watching next season unless I hear that it is brilliant. Which is pretty much impossible at this juncture, so I guess I'll be dropping this.

It's a shame if you missed Season IV imho. The plot summary you read clearly didn't do it justice. Of course, if you do go watch it now, you'll have spoiled it by reading the plot summary. But, as others have stated, it'll still be worth it just to see John Lithgow at work.

Also, deeply disappointed that Deb didn't get to slowly piece it all together and to figure Dexter out with dawning horror. IMHO, it would have been a way more compelling plot-line than the Doomsday plod.

Couldn't agree more with this. How many times have they played that tired old card? Deb's about to walk in on Dexter killing the Big Bad only to be distracted at the last second...

It would have been so much more interesting to have had her piece it together detective style the way Doakes did in Season 2.

I don't know. I liked the sudden onset of Fubar into Dexter's meticulously planned murder more. We had that other angle covered by Doakes. I'm on my seat (and crossing my fingers hoping for good things) wondering what way they are going to have things unfold from Deb's walk in.

I just can't enjoy this show anymore. Even seasons 1 and 2 that I used to love now grate on me, because even though they had some amazing moments, I can also see all the bad things that started there and just intensified in later seasons. They stick out too much now. So even though John Lithgow must have been great, I would still feel frustrated at all the wasted potential and dropped plot lines and the way stuff happens that should change everything, yet it somehow stays the same.

On the other hand, reading summaries is totally stress-free and takes only a minute or two.

We had that other angle covered by Doakes.

Not really. Doakes hated Dexter from the start and wanted to believe the worst of him, even though his worst suspicions turned out not to be bad enough. So, the horror angle was absent. Also, from viewers PoV Dexter was never in any real danger.

With Deb, who loves Dexter and wants to believe the best of him, slow, inescapable build up of evidence, struggle with herself to follow her instincts or to overlook it (again), could have been deliciously scary and full of tension, IMHO. Also, there would have been real risk for Dexter, since he'd be psychologically unable to kill or frame her.

Of course, with at least 2 more seasons, major suck after revelation is practically guaranteed anyway. I mean, no way are they going to take him on the run for that long.

Archived