Now I am really curious about the whole Frey pie thing.

LadyoftheNorth72

If Manderly did indeed baked those Freys into a pie, I have a lot more respect for him. It's just such a daring thing to do. Is it breaking guest right if they're not under your roof when you kill them?

If I'm recalling it correctly, Manderly confirms with Davos that it's common to give guests a gift once they leave your house, and that this gift-giving signifies that the guest right is ended. Manderly was careful to provide them with horses for their trip to Winterfell, since they had travelled to White Harbor by ship.

So Wyman Manderly is in the clear with regard to guest right.

If Manderly did indeed baked those Freys into a pie, I have a lot more respect for him. It's just such a daring thing to do. Is it breaking guest right if they're not under your roof when you kill them?

Manderly gave the Freys palfreys as a parting guest gift. That made it plain to both gods and men that the Freys had ceased to be guests.

Then he got out his cooking pots and sharpened his knives.

Does anyone else wonder how the Freys were actually taken out? We know they got palfreys as gifts when they left, to mark the end of guest right protection. But were they allowed to leave and then run down on the road? Killed immediately or taken and held prisoner? They had to have at least some household men with them too, surely? Who also would've been killed. One of those things where even though you know what happened, the specifics are still up in the air.

• 1 year later...

It could be a coincidence, but there are numerous clues that support this theory. There was this conversation between Wyman Manderly and Davos (I'm quoting from memory, so these won't be the exact words): I will give them (the three Freys) three horses. Do they still give guest guest gifts in the south? Yes my lord, when their guest departs. Good, so you know what I'm talking about.

When someone receives a guest gift, it means they are no longer under the protection of guest right (see this: http://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/72867443218/what-is-the-frey-pie-theory), so lord Manderly would not be going against this custom.

Another clue is the disappearance of the three Freys right after leaving White Harbor.

The song about the Rat Cook requested by lord Manderly is maybe the strongest clue to support the Frey Pie theory.

There are just too many clues that point to this. I don't think GRRM would write those clues if they didn't lead somewhere.

Archived