[TWoW Spoilers] Theon I

Ran

I also think this is before the letter. Seems to be shortly after Theon's escape.

I just don't believe Stannis has the time to execute Theon properly before the battle starts. Though if he insists to do so, beheading him would be much faster than burning him.

Will be interesting to learn how Stannis chooses to deal with the turncloak. Somehow he has to choose between North and South. Either he does as his bannermen want him to, or he tries to win the Northmen by avenging Eddard's sons Stark style. He has to choose between the Old Gods or Rhollor, somehow even between Ice and Fire.

This makes for a very interesting conflict. I just hope for him he doesn't loose his own head in the attempt. Because on the Iron Throne, there can only be one.

It'd be nice if Theon spills everything to Stannis since he thinks he's going to die. I have too much faith and pity for Theon for him to die. Clearly there is some Bran interactions going on, and when have the ravens ever said "Theon" before? All in all, Theon's chapters kick ass, and it was a pleasant surprise.

Can't wait for the whole book to come out in like, what, 4 years?

I think Stannis referring to the fact that there might be word that he has lost the battle, and even claims that he has died, was rather interesting.

Just being the pragmatist he can be about these things.... or has he a plan so clever you can brush your teeth with it?

Just because this is before Jon received the letter doesn't mean it's before the letter was written and sent. I doubt Stannis would send his prize away given how adamant he was with Massey about not retreating. Stannis is acting as if he will win the battle and that mindset would make it more likely that he would have Theon with him. It's possible someone could sneak Theon away if the battle goes badly but there are exceedingly few people who would want to save him and many who want him dead. The only way I see Stannis losing and Theon escaping is if Bran intervenes.

As far as timeline goes, George makes it clear in his comment that this chapter takes place before some of the ADwD chapters -- e.g., it's before Jon's final chapter.

So by the time Justin Massey gets to the Wall Jon will be 'dead' and the letter of Stannis defeat will arrive leading Massey to marry the fake Arya and use the Bravossi loan to hire enough sellswords to take back Winterfell for his new bride. My first crackpot theory for Winds of Winter,

I think Stannis referring to the fact that there might be word that he has lost the battle, and even claims that he has died, was rather interesting.

Just being the pragmatist he can be about these things.... or has he a plan so clever you can brush your teeth with it?

I'll take option number 2, please.

I really like this implication. Especially combined with the Raven mail info.

This chapter raised my hopes for the letter being a fake. I would just love to see Stannis and Manderly joining up forces to kick the bastard of Bolton's ass.

I need the Bastard to die horribly- it's extremely important to me personally. I hope Manderly eats him.

Oh my. It seems like Jeyne will now, on top of everything, probably be disfigured due to frostbite. Poor girl.

Anyway, I was rather impressed with Stannis here. His douchiness was amusing/frustrating as always, the way he dealt with Karstark was just badass, and I find his confidence quite compelling. I wonder what he meant when he said he didn't have walls/high ground/natural defenses "yet?" Perhaps he means to use the snowfall to his advantage somehow, like Crowfood Umber?

Archived