[TWoW Spoilers] Theon I

Ran

gosh the sample chapter was good. i would've prefered a sansa chapter but theon's was very intresting. we get to see what will supposedly happen to a lot of characters, and i'm happy that even though he isn't in the most comfortable of places, theon is being spared the hell of being reek. wonder what will happen when jeyne reaches the wall. hopefully jon isn't dead though.... THANKS G.R.R. Marti for this wonderful x-mas present :)

I would gladly accept Stannis as my king after reading this.

I second this. Hail Stannis. The atmosphere has completely changed since the last ADWD chapter. So far the pacing for this book seems to be alot faster than ADWD or AFOC. Which is good. I think this book will mirror the pacing of ASWS.

"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by."

Love it!

Stannis deserves to be King in many ways. I just hope that whatever his fate is that the winners of this war will show him honor and respect. He can be a prick, but he has done more than any other person in this series.

I think Stannis referring to the fact that there might be word that he has lost the battle, and even claims that he has died, was rather interesting.

Just being the pragmatist he can be about these things.... or has he a plan so clever you can brush your teeth with it?

This is a plan. Stannis has no intention to die, but he's not stupid either and understands that he very well may die. I like his fearlessness though. He actually gives a compliment to a couple of his men too. I think by the end of this book Stannis will finally receive the love from his people that he has soo longed for.

I just read this and it was so good. Stannis talking back to a raven, ruining the Karstark's plans, Theon and Asha, it was too awesome for words. I have high hopes and can't wait for the next book.

I for one loved the way Theon, Stannis and Asha played off each other in this chapter. And maybe Theon will become what Davos and Jon were to Stannis in books past.

Stannis may impress me yet.

I'll take the idea of the letter being a fake sent by Stannis - the accuracy of the details will actually make sense if Theon is providing coaching on Ramsey's style.

Stannis it would seem is learning to play the game of thrones a little better. He has a plan and he now has the Bank of Braavos behind him. He may die, but Stannis is going to 'reek' havoc.

It is, isn't it?! I'm betting on him financing Tyrion and Dany's trip home to Westeros.

ETA:

It just occurred to me that if Massey does end up being Dany's ticket home, then my theory of Dany's first stops in Westeros being Eastwatch and the Wall could be true. :D

Could be. Im not sure, but Im sure that what will happen is that Jeyne goes with Massey to Braavos and Arya will be discovered and she will come back with Massey. She will be going home with an army of sellswords.

Davos is Stannis' best friend and Manderly had (supposedly) killed him. You better fucking believe Stannis is pissed.

Oh, also. New favorite line:

"Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

The Freys are finished and Stannis has the early award for best quote of the book.

2 things:

1.) Stannis saying you may hear rumors that I am dead, this may or not may not be true, but you will bring me my army nevertheless. Could Stannis really be behind the false letters? It seems very likely now. He probably was just planning on reuniting with Jon at Winterfell. He couldnt have seen the betrayel. Now that I think about it...how can it not be a letter sent by Stannis?

2.) Theon tells him they have no ground and Stannis replies with ...we do not...yet. Very perculiar.

To remind of what was said elsewhere, the lake is full of holes, not safe going there. I wonder if it will be Stannis, Ramsay or Manderly who will learn that. Hope not our favorite baking fat man.

Interesting points already mentioned:

Braavosi ships being lost, well, it may help Asha.

Theons life for Jons, scary but possible. I think that it will be actually more interesting if we never get brans POV again, even if I desperately want to know what happened to meera

Yay, Stannis has to chose between old gods way and red guy while killing Theon, though I agree that its most probable that Theon is going to live

so many people going to Braavos, I wonder if Swyft is still going after Kevans death, but even Massey might not arrive because of the crisis on the Wall

Do you think Asha was warged by Bran ?

Because I don't see why she would like Theon to be given to the Old Gods.

What's clear is that Bran wants it (the ravens say so). To ultimately save him ? Or because he needs that sacrifice ? I'd go with the first. I have faith in Bran.

What if it takes place before the letter?

Manderely engages Stannis, but instead treats with him and tells him of Davos' promise to obtain Rickon. He returns to Winterfell- with Lightbringer- and reports that he has destroyed Stannis' army.

Unlikely, I know, but just a thought.

Very likely I'd say ! I agree. Kudos !

I would gladly accept Stannis as my king after reading this.

Definitely ! He's freaking awesome in this chapter (and I'm not a Stannis fan at all).

Hearing him talking about rumors of his death is just... wow. You imagine some awesome plan to lure Ramsay.

Go go, Stannis !

Oh, and thanks M, Martin !

Do you think Asha was warged by Bran ?

Because I don't see why she would like Theon to be given to the Old Gods.

Asha made it clear in ADWD that she feels burning is a hideous way to die, to the point where she was wondering if she could trick someone into slitting her throat if Stannis decided to send her to the pyre. They're surrounded by literally thousands of people who want Theon dead. I think Asha has just decided that, if she can't save Theon's life, at least she can mitigate some of his suffering.

Asha made it clear in ADWD that she feels burning is a hideous way to die, to the point where she was wondering if she could trick someone into slitting her throat if Stannis decided to send her to the pyre. They're surrounded by literally thousands of people who want Theon dead. I think Asha has just decided that, if she can't save Theon's life, at least she can mitigate some of his suffering.

But it's quite a funny coincidence if Asha's demand serves Bran's purpose perfectly, don't you think ?

The Justin Massey thing sounds awesome. He plans to meet the meet the Golden Company, which could mean an alliance with Aegon or maybe ask the Second Sons for help and Tyrion joining Stannis is just EPIC. I think the battles of Ice and Fire are coming together very quickly.

I think bran would want to see theon dead too. He killed alot of people bran was close to. Only reason bran would keep him alive is to serve some plot that he has come up with. I think we will start seeing alot more people dieing in front of weirwood trees :devil:

I think bran would want to see theon dead too. He killed alot of people bran was close to. Only reason bran would keep him alive is to serve some plot that he has come up with. I think we will start seeing alot more people dieing in front of weirwood trees :devil:

lol agreed, but Bran probably wants to save Theon, not kill him. At least not for revenge. IDK.

Theon can become beheaded by a flaming sword in front of a weirwood tree. Fire and Ice.

But it's quite a funny coincidence if Asha's demand serves Bran's purpose perfectly, don't you think ?

Bran is just awesome, and I knew he was present when the ravens said Theon. But wait I though people couldn't skinchange between the Wall. As in you cannot skinchange with a creature as long as it is on the other side of the wall.

"They know my name." Geekasm.

Bran is just awesome, and I knew he was present when the ravens said Theon. But wait I though people couldn't skinchange between the Wall. As in you cannot skinchange with a creature as long as it is on the other side of the wall.

Well, obviously, he can.

I second this. Hail Stannis. The atmosphere has completely changed since the last ADWD chapter. So far the pacing for this book seems to be alot faster than ADWD or AFOC. Which is good. I think this book will mirror the pacing of ASWS.

yes i love how people are finally seeing that Stannis is the rightful King. What i really loved about this excerpt is that it shows how smart and awesome Stannis is.

Wham, bam, thank you...........Stannis. :spank:

This chapter is making me all sort of gleeful. And may I say an amen that it wasn't an Damphair chapter? Anyhow, about pace: it seemed fast, but I liked that. gets the blood rushing and the readers' mind engaged with all the things that are afoot. A great sample to make everyone super-curious, so thanks for that, GRRM.

Interestingly... if Justin gets there and finds Jon dead, he might take "Arya" on to Braavos with him, I would think. Where the real Arya is, although she might be gone by then since she was going out on apprenticeship.

I think this might be just the thing. Before she truly becomes "nobody", Arya hears that an Arya Stark has come to Braavos. Hello. She investigates further and learns the things that are afoot. Perhaps even Jon's "death"? Would that motivate her to return? It might. She might realize that she is Arya Stark, blood of Winterfell, daughter of Eddard and Catelyn, and most certainly not nobody! And Arya Stark cannot be a faceless man, only "nobody" can. Cue, return to home. Nymeria-search-party. Road trip.

I kind of think Manderly went to Winterfell to die. That is what he is expecting to happen, at either the hands of Stannis or the hands of the Boltons.

Didn't he have a spectacular ride up there, great train of food and shiz? Maybe he was trying to ride to his death gloriously? Interesting thought, Alexia. I'm curious to know the truth of it.

Stannis did not grind his teeth once!

So proud.

:wub: My bb is growing up.

Both Theon and Stannis were a revelation in this chapter. I can't believe I'm going to type this, but Stannis actually managed to impress me here. He had a bit of a swagger and a confidence that for the first time was not completely overwhelmed by his sanctimonious posturing. And the depiction of Theon was quite realistic too. Still terrified of Ramsay (and rightly so), but also slowly showing signs of recovery: sense of humour, will to survive etc, pride etc. We even got a throwaway reference to Sansa and lemoncakes! Yay! My Sansa appetite has been sated temporarily (ok, not really, but I'm not going to dwell on the negative).

I'm most excited for what will happen with Jeyne Poole now. Are we going to see a clash of the Aryas in Braavos? Will Massey leave her at the Wall?

(jaw falls open)

And yet, I commend you for realizing the gloriousness that is Stannis. :thumbsup:

Archived