Yes but that doesn't explain why the Children didn't stay in the Andal-free North, but "fled" (Maester Luwin's word) north of the Wall. What some of us are currently proposing is that the Nights Watch turned on the Children and other old races, and sent them flying north in what's now remembered as the Battle for the Dawn - perhaps as the price of peace with the Andals.

Well, we don't know for a fact that the CotF didn't stay in the North, do we? What I mean is, we don’t know for sure when they fled North and disappeared altogether (South of the Wall).

We know that after the Andals slashed and burned the weirwoods and killed all the CotF they found in the South, they are said to have vanished from both South and North. We know there are several theories regarding this, we’re told one of them by maester Luwin; I don’t think he’s deliberately lying, but I’m not positive he actually knows the truth.

Remember, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate the timeline is, we’re still talking millennia. I think it’s quite possible that the CotF lingered in some areas in the North.

And, to have the NW and the northerners turning on the CotF because they were forced to by the Andals as some sort of price for peace is, in my opinion, out of the question.

I think the Andals vs. North (with all other species, CotF, what-have-you) war was, in a way, lost by the Andals, who never managed to get past the Neck and kinda gave up in the end. :dunno:

A poster on this thread did a search earlier and informed us that the only time the Battle for the Dawn is mentioned in the books is in the song The night that ended. So no reference to either Old Nan, maester Luwin, Osha, or anyone else that we usually rely on to feed us clues to the history.

Yup, that was me. And I found it odd there was only the one reference to it. :eek:

BTW: the first thread in this sequence was started by me early in what has turned out to be a long convalesence. I'm now adjudged fit to die for my country again and therefore back to work this morning so I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everybody on the board, (but particularly the heretics), for what has been a wonderful lifeline to the outside world, if not in all conscience the real one.

Thank you all.

As FanTasy said, thank you!

I’m happy to hear of your full recovery. But I hope that doesn’t mean you won’t be posting or that the thread is over... :grouphug:

Well, we don't know for a fact that the CotF didn't stay in the North, do we? What I mean is, we don’t know for sure when they fled North and disappeared altogether (South of the Wall).

We know that after the Andals slashed and burned the weirwoods and killed all the CotF they found in the South, they are said to have vanished from both South and North. We know there are several theories regarding this, we’re told one of them by maester Luwin; I don’t think he’s deliberately lying, but I’m not positive he actually knows the truth.

Remember, regardless of how accurate or inaccurate the timeline is, we’re still talking millennia. I think it’s quite possible that the CotF lingered in some areas in the North.

And, to have the NW and the northerners turning on the CotF because they were forced to by the Andals as some sort of price for peace is, in my opinion, out of the question.

I think the Andals vs. North (with all other species, CotF, what-have-you) war was, in a way, lost by the Andals, who never managed to get past the Neck and kinda gave up in the end. :dunno:

Yes, that's my view too. Leaf said the Children are in their long dwindling. Maybe the desctruction of so many weirwoods in the South affected their birthrate. Between the arrival of the Andals and the current age, there was a period of 6000 years. Maybe the Children remained in the North, but just gradually grew fewer and fewer until today all that is left are the ones in the far North.

They are dwindling.

Archived