Bran

ShadowRaven

He never said it anywhere.

And it doesn't make sense anyway.

Having a Bran's PoV now means revealing all the mysteries of ASOIAF (Jon's parentage... etc).

Maybe Martin made only the comment that Bran will be the most important character in TWOW (doesn't mean that he will have PoV chapters...).

I remember reading something by GRRM that said Bran would have the most chapters in TWoW over the other characters. Whether that will be by one or two chapters, or eight or nine chapters, I cannot say. Personally the more Bran Stark the better, because by extension it means more Bloodraven and the Children. :D

LotN

I remember reading something by GRRM that said Bran would have the most chapters in TWoW over the other characters.

Surely since Martin doesn't post very many places, it should be easy to dig this information back up and link it? I'm sure many people would find it interesting.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the concept of source amnesia?

If there will be more Bran chapters in TWOW I would be thrilled. I love the mystery and how dark Bran's POVs are. I'd like to know what he knows. We're not sure yet whether he knows R+L=J, or if he will ever know. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Bran chapters ROCK, for me at least :)

I would love if Bran had a greater presence in the next book - along with Arya and Sansa - and definitely think it's very likely, just not PoV wise. I really see him more of sticking to the background now, and influencing events that way, as in Theon's chapters.

Or is this an indication that Bran is even more powerful than BR?

The return of the dragons gave magic everywhere a boost. Bran must benefit from this boost as well. BR may live through the current crisis, but he's obviously fading from life, so yeah, I guess you can say Bran is more powerful, if not more knowledgeable.

What I don't get is: Why have Bran move to BR in 2-3 books and have him have less ways to communicate with the outside world? How is having Bran near BR / replacing BR possibly going to affect ASOIAF's plot? I would love it if he would be the main pov in TWOW, but we never know.

What I don't get is: Why have Bran move to BR in 2-3 books and have him have less ways to communicate with the outside world? How is having Bran near BR / replacing BR possibly going to affect ASOIAF's plot? I would love it if he would be the main pov in TWOW, but we never know.

It's my theory that GRRM hooked Bran up to the weirwood web so he can witness past events, like the Rhaegar/Lyanna hook-up, the Tower of Joy, etc., and share that with the reader. This is necessary because GRRM killed off all the other witnesses, lol. I guess we'll just have to see what Bran does communication-wise.

Well if he is as powful as BR he could just come to you in a dream, Talk to you at a tree, send a raven to talk to you or tie a messige to one and send it to you. Also he could make raven mail go were he wanted say send Frey bolton and Lannester messiges to Stannis or the wall. We know that ravens use to say the messige intead of it being tied to them in the past I dont see why bran cant start doing that real soon.

Or if Bran can get Jon (or Jon in Ghost) to a weirtree (or is heart tree?) then maybe he (Jon) can talk direct with Howland Reed?

Also, if Bran can contact all the remaining Starks, and a few others, he can orchestrate them to work together in a plan (I think it may be Jon who plans it, but Bran who can talk/influence the actions of others; ie, tell Sansa something to mention to Littlefinger, who does something that is beneficial to the Starks/north).

It's my theory that GRRM hooked Bran up to the weirwood web so he can witness past events, like the Rhaegar/Lyanna hook-up, the Tower of Joy, etc., and share that with the reader. This is necessary because GRRM killed off all the other witnesses, lol. I guess we'll just have to see what Bran does communication-wise.

Agree, and it's easier to unreliably report on past events for Bran than, let's say, Howland Reed. Bran will see the TOJ scene and think to himself "there's a woman in a bed of blood... holding something in her hands..../fade out", whilst Howland Reed would KNOW who was who and who did what.

Bran is basically our DNA test that Jon is R+L and will be able to answer all the other known and unknown secrets.

Agree, and it's easier to unreliably report on past events for Bran than, let's say, Howland Reed. Bran will see the TOJ scene and think to himself "there's a woman in a bed of blood... holding something in her hands..../fade out", whilst Howland Reed would KNOW who was who and who did what.

Bran is basically our DNA test that Jon is R+L and will be able to answer all the other known and unknown secrets.

Wait, wait, before we get too excited. If I have grasped the whole concept correctly, Bran can witness what the weirwood did, and only at that spot before the face cut in the bark. Unless there was a weirwood in Lyanna's bedchamber, there is no way he can find out via weirwood.

HOWEVER: now that magic is back and powers grow, could Bran see through other kinds oftrees with faces? Because, as Jon brings supplies to the Wildlings in the Mole Town, it is mentioned that they have cut faces into a couple of trees along the road.

Wait, wait, before we get too excited. If I have grasped the whole concept correctly, Bran can witness what the weirwood did, and only at that spot before the face cut in the bark. Unless there was a weirwood in Lyanna's bedchamber, there is no way he can find out via weirwood.

HOWEVER: now that magic is back and powers grow, could Bran see through other kinds oftrees with faces? Because, as Jon brings supplies to the Wildlings in the Mole Town, it is mentioned that they have cut faces into a couple of trees along the road.

Not only trees, could he see through weirwood doors (as they do retain some kind of magic)?

Not only trees, could he see through weirwood doors (as they do retain some kind of magic)?

An interesting idea. The door at Nightfor is described as having blind eyes; is this supposed to be normal with such doors, or a defect? And: could the face cut in the weirwood be made to open its mouth like the door does, so that someone could atually step through?

Well, not what Lyanna made Ned promise no. But Lyanna was missing for about the two years. Arianne's sister finds a CotF related place way down south so who knows whether she's been visiting and praying at one.

Well, not what Lyanna made Ned promise no. But Lyanna was missing for about the two years. Arianne's sister finds a CotF related place way down south so who knows whether she's been visiting and praying at one.

Well possible, yes. However, since there has already been established a link to Howland Reed, I believe it will be him who will set off the bomb. Or am I mistaken in my assumption that this is where Osha took Rickon and where Davos is heading?

Well possible, yes. However, since there has already been established a link to Howland Reed, I believe it will be him who will set off the bomb. Or am I mistaken in my assumption that this is where Osha took Rickon and where Davos is heading?

They are strongly suggested to be at Skagos.

An interesting idea. The door at Nightfor is described as having blind eyes; is this supposed to be normal with such doors, or a defect? And: could the face cut in the weirwood be made to open its mouth like the door does, so that someone could atually step through?

Here's a passage about the door in the House of B&W in Braavos when Arya first sees it. To me, it certainly sounds like Bran could be able to see through them.

At the top she found a set of carved wooden doors twelve feet high. The left-hand door was made of weirwood pale as bone, the right of gleaming ebony. In their center was a carved moon face; ebony on the weirwood side, weirwood on the ebony. The look of it reminded her somehow of the heart tree in the godswood at Winterfell. The doors are watching me, she thought.

Also, another VERY relevant passage about Bran seeing further than the trees and perhaps not even needing the door previously mentioned:

"The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.”

"When?” Bran wanted to know.

“In a year, or three, or ten. That I have not glimpsed. It will come in time, I promise you."

So in a nutshell, he only needs the carved eyes when he's still a rookie greenseer. Soon he won't need them any more. Will he even need weirwood or will he be basically an all-seeing god?

Archived