Bran

ShadowRaven

An interesting thing about Bloodraven...have anyone noticed his resemblance to the scandinavian mythology god Odin?

Odin sits in a throne above the human realms (if you use the maps' reference,north is above).He gave his right eye as a payment for wisdom (bloodraven also lost one eye,and now has the third eye of greenseeing).Odin's crows speak to him,and tell him everything happening around the world (Bloodraven wargs into crows and weirwoods to see the world south).At his feet,Odin has two wolves (Bloodraven has an 'apprentice' wolf,since Bran is a Stark).

Maybe some inspiration GRRM had?

There's a lot of mystical lore about the Pineal Gland being a Third Eye.If you do you're meditation,tantric exercises and what not,you can open it and become a "seer" into higher dimensions and do cool stuff,like prophecy.Sounds like fun.

Looks like George has sourced this stuff for the Bran/Bloodraven arc.

Anyway,I'm off to meditate.Will let you know if I've activated my pineal gland next week. :wacko:

This is my response to the Wights and dragon glass(Obsidian) conversation.

I think the text supports the fact, that dragon glass is only really effective when using it against the Others.

-Dragon glass, is said to be "frozen dragon flame".

Isn't dragon flame suppose to be like fire from the sun? Well the Others don't come out when the sun is shining. So it makes sense, frozen dragon flame, wich is like frozen "sun fire", kills the Others. (this same theory makes sense, for why Valyrian Steel, or "dragon steel, would work in killing the Others......Valyrian steel is made from dragon flame, dragon flame is like the fire of the sun.... Others+Sun=Dead Others)

I think you "could" use obsidian, for a blade against a Wight, but I don't think it would be any more effective than a steel blade. In fact it would probably be worse, considering obsidian is not that durable. It really would not be good to use obsidian, on a Wight wearing armor though, as Sam the Slayer found out, when fighting small Paul.

However, even though the Others wear armor, obsidian still works very well against them. I believe it's because the armor that the Others wear is "magic", and obsidian is also a "magic" thing, in these books. (when you stab an Other with obsidian, they melt, even if you stab there armor....that's also why I think when you stab an other with obsidian, it's like them getting hit by dragon flame, and dragon flame is like the fire of the sun, ergo you have a dead melted Other)

So basically, Everything about the Others is "magic", The Others themselves are like a "magical beings", there armor is "magic", there swords are "magic". So dragon glass, also being "magically frozen dragon flame", kills the Others.

But when it comes to a Wight , there armor is not "magic", there bodies are not "magic", the only thing that is "magic", is the "magic" that reanimated them. You can't really stab the "magic" part of a Wight with obsidian, but you can with an Other, because every part of them is "magic".

That's my opinion any way. (sorry for all the " " in my post lol)

This post got me thinking about Valaryan steel.

Remember, Valaryan steel is a 'lost art' that only the Valaryans knew how to craft.

We know that the Valaryans had dragons because that is how they destroyed the Ghis empire in ancient wars.

Notice that all of the Valaryans (except Targaryans) have been dead since the disaster that destroyed the Valeryan empire 300 years ago.

I think that the reason that no one has been able to craft Valaryan steel since then is because the blacksmiths used dragon flame to temper the steel instead of regular fire.. ( a blacksmith creates a sword by heating the sword and cooling it rapidly by dunking it in water = tempered)

This theory would explain why Valarian swords are supposedly effective against the Others, and would also explain why no one knows how to craft the steel anymore.

It is also a cool way for the Valaryan swords to become relevant again in the near future. It is no coincidence that GRRM goes into detail about the swords when they sem to have no real value right now except for just being good swords.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember, Valaryan steel is a 'lost art' that only the Valaryans knew how to craft.

We know that the Valaryans had dragons because that is how they destroyed the Ghis empire in ancient wars.

Notice that all of the Valaryans (except Targaryans) have been dead since the disaster that destroyed the Valeryan empire 300 years ago.

I think that the reason that no one has been able to craft Valaryan steel since then is because the blacksmiths used dragon flame to temper the steel instead of regular fire.. ( a blacksmith creates a sword by heating the sword and cooling it rapidly by dunking it in water = tempered)

This theory would explain why Valarian swords are supposedly effective against the Others, and would also explain why no one knows how to craft the steel anymore.

It is also a cool way for the Valaryan swords to become relevant again in the near future. It is no coincidence that GRRM goes into detail about the swords when they sem to have no real value right now except for just being good swords.

Also explain why they refer to it as Dragonsteel in the old books Sam reads

The Targaryens are not the only family to escape Valyria.The Valeryons of Driftmark are of Valyrian descent too.

Aurane Waters is a bastard of this family.

Means there could be others too.

Victarion was already taking Moat Cailin and it was hardly stupid. If Asha had just brought her men there, or even brought a 100 men there to help Theon, they'd still be there, wintering out Ser Rodric.

Winterfell wasn't what the Ironborn wanted anyways. I seem to recall Asha stating that much pretty clearly in the books. To a lesser degree they wanted revenge upon the Starks for their help in putting down the Greyjoy Rebellion. Though they didn't go right to war against the Lannisters or Stannis, did they? They saw an opportunity to reave an undefended coast, get some loot and salt wives, as that's their traditional MO. They also wanted to establish themselves as owners of the western sea while TPTB were busy fighting among themselves. The last Greyjoy to take and hold much in the way of the mainland was Harren Hoare/Harren the Black. Things didn't end so well for him, did it?

Taking and holding landlocked castles and territory isn't their thing. Theon deciding to do just that was in no small way him showing that he was to a fair point more of a Stark than a Greyjoy. Theon being a man without a country and a man who's more kin to his captors than his family is a big part of what makes him a great/tragic character. Him having so much to prove that he finds it difficult to find his own way and be true to himself and all...

The Targaryens are not the only family to escape Valyria.The Valeryons of Driftmark are of Valyrian descent too.

Aurane Waters is a bastard of this family.

Means there could be others too.

Outside of Westeros there's the whore that's entertaining Jorah Mormont, she seems to have a fair bit of Valyrian blood (white hair and Dany resemblance).

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing about Bran,

He is improving his warging skills, will he ever have the capacity to warg into a dragon? I think thats a skill that might come in handy dontchaknow?

I can picture him totally changing the tide of a battle like a baus.

After rewatching the first episode of the show and looking at Bran's first chapter again, I can't help but feel that he's going to have to cut someone's head off, or at least have to execute someone.

I've always theorized that it's more about him passing on his wisdom to Bran -- wisdom on how to rule well. Therefore, particularly after Robb's death, I've always thought he will eventually return to Winterfell and rule the North. Of course there are many who say (that due to Bran's current circumstances) it will be Rickon, or one of the sisters, but I just can't buy it.

I've always theorized that it's more about him passing on his wisdom to Bran -- wisdom on how to rule well. Therefore, particularly after Robb's death, I've always thought he will eventually return to Winterfell and rule the North. Of course there are many who say (that due to Bran's current circumstances) it will be Rickon, or one of the sisters, but I just can't buy it.

Winterfell needs a heir of the male line, no doubt about that. Rickon fits the bill since he hasn't done any consequential work so far. Bran's purpose is to provide wisdom to whoever is the king next. He must be on council, probably a successor to Varys. Arya, if she doesn't turn too evil, will be a fine knight or instrumental is assassinating someone really important. Jon Snow could be a Rhaeger/Lyanna byproduct and in essence, a Targereyen.

With such a high speed access to World Wide Weirwood, Bran cannot possibly turn evil. I can't see how he can talk through the tree where Theon will be brought. And the ravens will not utter sentences. Theon may end up making a confession though, approved by the Bran-controlled-ravens in few words. Stannis might dispose him off once his secrets are revealed.

Valyrian steel is probably regular still with addition of obsidian, melted in dragon flame.

I think entire idea is based on Damascus steel - unique steel formula lost in middle ages. This steel was created by melting unique glass types with steel to create incredibly strong material (scientists tried to re engineer this formula and some experiments were relatively successful).

Martin is rarely creating new world, he is usually mixing parts of real world history and adding some subtle fantasy elements.

I'm surprised at the number of people who see Bran (and the Singers and BR) as dark siders. I've thought from the first POV chapter in GoT that Bran is the most pure of heart, the most GOOD character in the entire series. I may well be wrong, but I've always just had a strong feeling about that. Even after all he's been through (including his 'cannibalistic' warging), he still has a great innocence about him. I've often thought that, as he was the first POV character, so too will he be the last.

• 8 months later...

Archived