[TWoW Spoilers] Theon I, Part 2

Angalin

She only needs him to make the previous kingsmoot invalid, not to be king.

Yes, but she has to have some kind of plan to force the people to change their choice for king. If not, then they will just select Euron again. I highly doubt that Theon will be selected as king of the Iron Islands in the current state he is in, and if Asha is banking on that she is really desperate.

I have a few observations.

• It seems likely now that Mors Umber was the hooded man.

I really don't think that Mors = Hooded Man is likely at all.

Yes, he refers to him as 'kinslayer', but so did one of the spearwives. And plenty of others have called him turncloak. I think all this does is provide a little more evidence that the term kinslayer, at least in the North, is used somewhat liberally and can apply even when the deceased is not a blood relative.

The description of Mors Umber is pretty detailed:

Crowfood. Theon remembered. An old man, huge and powerful, with a ruddy face and a shaggy white beard. He had been seated on a garron, clad in the pelt of a gigantic snow bear, its head his hood. Under it he wore a stained white leather eye patch that reminded Theon of his uncle Euron.

and from it Mors seems like a pretty distinctive guy (even without the snow bear pelt).

If it had been Mors that Theon encountered in Winterfell then #1 he would have noted some of these prominent features when he met the HM and #2 would have realized Mors = HM himself when he first encountered Mors outside the walls.

I dont see Theon being King especially since he cant produce an heir. As far as the Kingsmoot goes if I remember correctly wasnt Damphair being hunted down by men close to Euron? Im sure he's spreading the word of Eurons godless ways. I dont expect the Kingsmoot to happen anytime soon but when it does I believe it will be Victarion who gets the nod shortly after bringing back the Iron Fleet with Dany and her Dragons.

I don't think that Asha could expect to be "Queen" nor Theon "King" of the Iron Islands. But I do think they can successfully invalidate the Kingsmoot and together, bring the resources of the Islands to aid Stannis.

If/when Manderly joins his forces to Stannis, Stannis will have use of the fleet at White Harbor to help arm the NW and the wildlings at the wall with food and the precious obsidian.

Victarion is chasing Daenarys and Euron is off plundering so neither is there to interfere with Asha/Theon at the moment. Sorry to obsess over the obsidian, but Stannis states that he wants the Wall defended.

Anyone else notice the line about Reek the Second "making him" kill those two boys? Eh. Curious.

I was disappointed by that line; it would indicate that Theon is not accepting responsibility for his actions. He did at least, in the past, acknowledge that he murdered the boys. Curiously, Theon does accept his imminent death; as punishment and relief.

I don't think that Asha could expect to be "Queen" nor Theon "King" of the Iron Islands. But I do think they can successfully invalidate the Kingsmoot and together, bring the resources of the Islands to aid Stannis.

If/when Manderly joins his forces to Stannis, Stannis will have use of the fleet at White Harbor to help arm the NW and the wildlings at the wall with food and the precious obsidian.

Victarion is chasing Daenarys and Euron is off plundering so neither is there to interfere with Asha/Theon at the moment. Sorry to obsess over the obsidian, but Stannis states that he wants the Wall defended.

Im not certain of Iron Islands politics but can there be another Kingsmoot if Euron and Vic aren't around? As for the Iron Islands becoming an ally of Stannis, I just dont see it. Have they ever allied with anyone ever?

Somehow I don't see Victarion persuading Dany to go with him, she may trick him out of his own fleet if anything or something to that end effect, that's what I'm betting. He may very well die before he gets back to Westoros.

Stannis said he did want to use Asha, so it's as likely as you say, to regain it as well as to aide Stannis. Though Stannis wanting to kill Theon runs contrary to that, perhaps he will be convince at the weirwood to do otherwise.

Urgh, I'm so sick of everyone discounting the women! I want a Queen on the Seastone Chair, a Queen of the North, a Princess of Dorne, a Khaleesi over all the Dothraki, a Matriarch of Volantis, and a goddamned Queen on the Iron Throne.

slychd over at tower of the hand wrote something cool:

Too true! :bowdown:

And count me in on the Stannis lovers.

I feel loved and adored, I've never been cross forum quoted before. I shall have a crown made in my honor.

I'm going to go read all the unread posts and hopefully have something new to add in an edit.

Edit:

Hopefully She-Wolves of Winterfell will have some interesting bits about raven husbandry and lore about weirwoods to help us speculate on things in the current series.

The list of current people who can recognize Stark children is dwindling : women from Winterfell who are being held at the Dreadfort (probably not much use), Theon, Jeyne, and Jon Snow, that's about it. Littlefinger can discredit Jeyne as Arya, and probably will if/when it suits his purposes regarding Sansa.

4 or 5 sword were taken as per Theon. Bran, Rickon, Hodor, Osha and Jojen all took one. Can we finally lay this to rest?

And considering Massey has been one of Stannis' faithful throughout everything and left his own property and family behind, saying he is only in it for personal gain doesn't make sense to me.

The ravens w/Stannis are in cages...

Well obviously yes, they are, but is that the case for every raven that's ever been possessed? Like Mormont's raven?

Urgh, I'm so sick of everyone discounting the women! I want a Queen on the Seastone Chair, a Queen of the North, a Princess of Dorne, a Khaleesi over all the Dothraki, a Matriarch of Volantis, and a goddamned Queen on the Iron Throne.

1. The quote discounted Asha and Theon equally.

2. I'm a woman and I want the best ruler, whether it's a man or a woman. Wanting a woman just for the sake of having a woman is as big of a mistake as discounting a woman just because she's a woman. Get the best person for the job and leave gender out of it.

Well obviously yes, they are, but is that the case for every raven that's ever been possessed? Like Mormont's raven?

1. The quote discounted Asha and Theon equally.

2. I'm a woman and I want the best ruler, whether it's a man or a woman. Wanting a woman just for the sake of having a woman is as big of a mistake as discounting a woman just because she's a woman. Get the best person for the job and leave gender out of it.

Like Asha for the Iron Islands?

Re; the swords..(sorry)..I don't believe Rickon took a sword. I think he was too small. Osha took Lord Rickard's, Bran took Brandon's. I'm not sure , but I think Jojen took an ealier Lord's . These are mentioned in ACoK . Later ,I think in ASoS, it mentions Hodor had taken one from one of the old Kings and it was in much worse condition. I don't have all my books, so I can't double check , but as far as I know , only the four are mentioned.

Maybe that's all . But when GRRM has Theon say, four or five, he can't remember..he's leaving room for doubt.

Do the Iron Born need to necessarily accept Theon as king, isn't his existence enough just to negate the last Kingsmoot and you can call for another?

No the point is supposed to be he was/is a viable contender, the precedent is a badass son who was actually right since he became King. It not as if Asha can show up say hey Theon wasn't here earlier vote for me with any credibility.

I think Theon could recover a little bit, though -- with time and proper feeding, he might look not much uglier than Dagmer Cleftjaw, say, and Dagmer's a feared fighting man who commands a certain respect. ;)

But it's not his looks that are the issue it's that he can barely hold a knife, let alone become a feared fighter again. Which is almost a must here. Asha'd have a better chance raising Dagmer who was also absent.

To refine my theory... (it's probably already been said, but bear with me):

Stannis will sacrifice Theon to Bran.

Ramsay will kill Stannis.

"Lightbringer" will end up in someone else's hands.

Remember: GRRM says this chapter takes place before some of the events of ADwD. So, keep that in mind (i.e. Ramsay hasn't sent the letter yet, and Jon Snow hasn't been stabbed to death).

To refine my theory... (it's probably already been said, but bear with me):

Stannis will sacrifice Theon to Bran.

Ramsay will kill Stannis.

"Lightbringer" will end up in someone else's hands.

Remember: GRRM says this chapter takes place before some of the events of ADwD. So, keep that in mind (i.e. Ramsay hasn't sent the letter yet, and Jon Snow hasn't been stabbed to death).

I'm bearing that in mind and I still think the letter's bogus and that Stannis isn't really dead. I also think it'd be a colossal waste of Theon's development to just sacrifice the guy to a tree within the first 100 pages. :P

Archived