It would be great to see the official rules of Cyvasse.

Kantor

I have a friend who designs board games. It would be awesome if GRRM would commission someone like him to make up a cyvasse game.

though not as awesome as GRRM commissioning someone to make up high valyrian (and using Greek, Latin and generic elf language as a basis).

In Jr. High i mad board games, forgot about it for almost 10 years, and the second time Cyvasse came in to ASOIAF i couldnt stop thinking of it! However the past two books have givin us the most information on Cyvasse, so i assume the next two will as well. What i gatherd so far is guard the king(chess), memorize opponents pieces(stratego) but then many pieces can attack over multiple "squares", and your board will physically look diffrent than your opponents. There is an astronomical amount of pieces and it lasts for hours. When/if ASOIAF is finished this game will come out, almost guaranteed, please GRRM sell the fuck out!

I have a friend who designs board games. It would be awesome if GRRM would commission someone like him to make up a cyvasse game.

though not as awesome as GRRM commissioning someone to make up high valyrian (and using Greek, Latin and generic elf language as a basis).

It's the information age, send him an email with a proposition and PP presentation. You've seen the Windows commercial.

I would probably end up playing it and loving, no matter how bad it was.

Just imagine a fantasy themed Chess set and Monopoly having a condomless double vag with Battleship after a couple of bottles of mulled wine. The product after nine months of jestation would be only described as one epic board game. It would be too epic to fail

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought a similar thing while reading the books. The game sounds pretty complicated, but I know I would buy it straight away. Let's just hope that, if he does anything of the sort, GRRM hires a board game expert to design it and doesn't just make some cheap ASOIAF themed chess game with slightly different figurines. Although I'd probably buy that, too.

• 2 weeks later...

He did. Reportedly he is also a fairly good player, and he also played a chess game confronting Dorne against Highgarden.in Worldcon 07(?).

But he has also said that he hasn't devised any rules for Cyvasse and I don't think he would'nt be very good designing games. It requires a lost of skill and experience.

Martin has said he won't because Cyvasse is supposed to be as complex and as full of depth as chess... And obviously Martin knows he can't create another chess, so he's leaving it ambiguous

That's just the thing about chess - while it can be very complex and deep, its rules are quite simple and can be explained in 15 minutes. And while it certinaly hard to create another game of such depth and yet simple rules, it seems there's plenty of people who are willing to try (at least judging from this thread :P)

Archived