Which Pov will we get with the paperback ADWD?

Candor

I don't think it will be one to solve any cliffhangers, so maybe Sansa, Davos, Sam or Tyrion.

sadly, I'm not counting on Jon, Bran, Arya.

I agree, I'm not expecting Jon, Jaime, Cersei, Dany, Barristan, Brienne, etc. A Davos boat-trip chapter could work, or one of Sam in Oldtown, or Arya still knocking around Braavos.

I agree, I'm not expecting Jon, Jaime, Cersei, Dany, Barristan, Brienne, etc. A Davos boat-trip chapter could work, or one of Sam in Oldtown, or Arya still knocking around Braavos.

I'd especially like Sam in Oldtown because that will likely be a long chapter. He'd have to go into how he got settled into Oldtown and where Gilly is and how he likes his classes before whatever present event the chapter would cover. I'd really like all that exposition in Oldtown.

Davos would be, as others have said, a travelogue on his way to Skagos, but we'd likely learn everything Davos knows about Skagos on the way.

Hmm, the chapter has to cater for - it has to at least partially be aimed at - those readers who don't read ADWD until the paperback version comes out. Those people will get ADWD and the sample chapter all at once - so I doubt it'll be resolving any of the cliffhangers at the end of ADWD.

The only paperback-release chapter I remember is the Theon one at the end of AGOT. This wasn't the first chapter in ACOK, it wasn't even the 6th I don't think, but it did introduce us to a new plotline and a new threat for the next book. So we could get something like that - but there are characters we haven't heard from since AFFC and I suspect it'll be from one of them as that would not involve resolving any of the cliffhangers.

It'll probably be Sansa or Sam just because there are enough people out there curious to know how they're getting on. But of course it could be Arya, Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Davos, Jaime, Victarion, Aeron, Areo, Brienne, Cersei, Connington, Mel or Barristan as well... :-)

I think that Damphair is a possibility - GRRM really wanted to read that chapter, but it was voted against. Maybe that will lead him not to put it in the paperback? *fingers crossed*

I think the main possibilities are (not in order):

Davos - though I think that the action will take place ON Skaggos, with his main role in the book revolving around Hardhome. So he would probably spend the chapter looking for Rickon and OSHA and maybe fighting off cannibals?

Sansa - the long awaited reveal of Harold Hardyng. We have waited a long time to find out what this Prince Charming style character is going to be like. Throw in Littlefinger's plots - I'm very interested to know what he knows about Aegon etc. And spice with The Mad Mouse... All the ingredients for a brilliant first chapter! (And probably the reason it was held back, qso the story arc flowed more fluidly).

Cersei - the aftermath of the double assassination, the return of Varys, the arrival of the Sandsnakes (maybe) and gearing up for Cersei's trial.

Sam - I have a theory that Lord Hightower is going to declare for Aegon Vi, due to the ties between House Targaryen and House Hightower. This will have a big impact on the maesters, Sam - Horn Hill could be at risk. What is going on with the Faceless Men, Sarella Sand, the glass candles. can Sam find information about the Others? Who is going to be sent to replace Pycelle? Loads of questions in this chapter.

Cersei - the aftermath of the double assassination, the return of Varys, the arrival of the Sandsnakes (maybe) and gearing up for Cersei's trial.

Strewth, if we have one more chapter of building up I'm going to eat the book. Can we not have the darn trial already?

People really haven't talked about it, but I for one would love it if we got a Barristan chapter because I want to read about some battle...especially the unsullied breaking the lines of a bunch of sellswords who trip over their weapons as they run away because they can't throw them down quick enough

This. This, and This. I hope you're listening, GRRM even though I know you aren't. :frown5:

This. This, and This. I hope you're listening, GRRM even though I know you aren't. :frown5:

I wouldn't mind a damphair pov if he's doing something interesting. Sure he's boring as hell but if he's planning or doing something cool then i can strand it.

For the love all of all things good i hope it's not a Areo Hotah pov.

My hope is for a Jon chapter. I know I am biased, because he's my favorite character, but I would like some details regarding his fate. Of course, it would make more sense to save this for the next book so there's something for new readers to stew over as they await the new book.

For AFFC we got a Dany chapter, which I think is due to her being GRRM's favorite character, but also because it had been so long without a Dany chapter. Also, she is closely associated with dragons and the next book would heavily feature dragons.

I have always associated the title, The Winds of Winter with Sansa and the Starks. So I am hoping GRRM will give us a Stark chapter, first preference being Jon Snow, but I would be just as happy with a Sansa or Bran chapter. I hope it is am important chapter, whoever the POV is.

PS: Jumping ahead to A Dream of Spring, for some reason I associate this title with Bran and the Stark children.

Off topic, but any idea how much time passed between the chapters GRRM released for ADWD on his website?

My hope is for a Jon chapter. I know I am biased, because he's my favorite character, but I would like some details regarding his fate. Of course, it would make more sense to save this for the next book so there's something for new readers to stew over as they await the new book.

For AFFC we got a Dany chapter, which I think is due to her being GRRM's favorite character, but also because it had been so long without a Dany chapter. Also, she is closely associated with dragons and the next book would heavily feature dragons.

I have always associated the title, The Winds of Winter with Sansa and the Starks. So I am hoping GRRM will give us a Stark chapter, first preference being Jon Snow, but I would be just as happy with a Sansa or Bran chapter. I hope it is am important chapter, whoever the POV is.

PS: Jumping ahead to A Dream of Spring, for some reason I associate this title with Bran and the Stark children.

Off topic, but any idea how much time passed between the chapters GRRM released for ADWD on his website?

You have to be out of your mind if you think he will resolve that cliffhanger about Jon in a fucking sample chapter . That would seriously be against the purpose of the cliffhanger to make people buy the next book . Also when did GRRM said that Dany was his favorite character ? He has stated numberous times that TYRION is his favorite character but people on this forum love to make up things that they believe in their mind to be the actual truth, even the crackpot theories .

Tyrionthebeast could've said it a little more gently (:P), but yeah, there's no way we're getting a POV preview where the person ended ADWD on a life-or-death cliffhanger. No way. So no Jon. It will probably be either the Damphair chapter (although he might release that one earlier, if it's already available), or Sam, Davos, Arya or Sansa.

And he's right about Tyrion being Martin's favorite character, it's not Dany.

You have to be out of your mind if you think he will resolve that cliffhanger about Jon in a fucking sample chapter . That would seriously be against the purpose of the cliffhanger to make people buy the next book . Also when did GRRM said that Dany was his favorite character ? He has stated numberous times that TYRION is his favorite character but people on this forum love to make up things that they believe in their mind to be the actual truth, even the crackpot theories .

And people^ on this forum are really overreacting.

I hope for a Sam chapter, we haven't seen him in years, so seeing him find out Jon's dead would be sweet :) Ok not sweet, heartbreaking, but sweet in a sense of satiating my ASOIAF hunger.

Archived