Which Pov will we get with the paperback ADWD?

Candor

I would love a Jon chapter, a fool can dream I suppose. Damphair hold no interest at all, the Ironborn are so boring it’s not even funny. A Sansa chapter would also be fun.

Not as boing as Essos my friend. Pre-Dragon attacks of course.

Am I the only one liking the Damphair? LOL

I mean, he's not an amiable fellow, but he has a character. And I have been wondering what he's up to now. Unlike some Quentyn guy, or so (glad he's dead).

He's cool, but he's not really a player. I mean...whatever he is planning it seems like Euron is just going to eventually have him killed or something.

That is true, for some reason I did not consider Theon, Ironborn. I stand corrected. But I still stand by my statement about the rest of the Ironborn.

He's no iron-born. It is my greatest fanboy dream that he will be officially named a Stark by the end of ADOS.....one could dream.

We also know that he has removed a 'Battle of Ice' and a 'Battle of Fire' from 'A Dance With Dragons'. So he has completed at least 6 chapters:

Can someone explain to me what are these battles? Battle of Ice? and the Battle of Fire?

I'm assuming that the Ice battle is between Team Stannis and Team Bolton and the Fire Battle is in Mereen which is Team Danaerys vs. Team Everyone else in Essos?

If this is correct and GRRM cut these chapters out from ADWD then they must take place fairly earlier in TWOW. They seem to be really significant battles. Maybe the conclusion of these battles will give way to the song of ice and fire?

Also will the battle of Ice also include the battle at winterfell? Im assuming Stannis wins and marches his army on Winterfell(Thought it wont be easy like that - Maybe Team Reed, Team AA(formerly Jon) or Team Skaagos will join in it)

Hey, i'm relatively new to these books (started reading them after watching the tv programme) so until ADWD, all the other books I read were paperback. Have I read this correctly?! Does GRRM usually add an extra chapter to the paprback?! One that wasn't included in the hardback?! What a con that is!

It's not an extra chapter to the book, it's a preview chapter from the next book. It's very common with series to have this kind of preview chapter at the end of the mass market paperbacks.

The one major character with a truly unsatisfactory last chapter in the previous book was Tyrion. I assume that's because his next chapter takes place in the middle of the battle of Fire, and there wasn't enough room for the entire battle in Dance. But if that's true, it would make a great preview chapter.

There are also Sam, Sansa, and Davos, who presumably all have chapters that take place (like the Theon chapter on GRRM's website) before the end of Dance.

[about the Damphair]

He's cool, but he's not really a player. I mean...whatever he is planning it seems like Euron is just going to eventually have him killed or something.

I believe Euron is hiding somewhere on Victarion's ship, and one of his men is under a glamour in Westeros and ruling for him. If that's true, the Damphair might be the one who discovers this, and might easily defeat the fake Euron (although certainly not in his first chapter).

Lets see,

GoT had Theon meeting with Balon

CoK had Sansa meeting with QoT

SoS had Cersei attenting the funeral of Tywin Lannister and having Kevan reject her invitation to be Hand, while withholding the Regency.

FfC had Dany holding court and hearing about Drogon killing a child

According to this pattern, something game-changing takes place in all the previous preview chapters, so, predicting who will be the preview for WoW is nigh on impossible, without knowing what's happening in WoW.

Bran is unlikely, though not impossible.

Daenerys is on too much of a cliffhanger for her to have a preview chapter IMO.

I can't see it being a Jon chapter, as that would resolve the cliffhanger of 'wtf happened to jon?' way to early, this goes for a mellisandre POV as she's on the wall.

Arya would be interesting, depending on where she's headed, I think this one is rather likely, wouldn't necessarily advance any of the main plotlines thus far, and could provide valuable information.

Tyrion would be slightly pointless as a preview, simply because his story hinges on Dany getting back to Meereen at the moment.

Sansa is another likely possibility, in that she hasn't been seen for 1000+ pages of novel, and could provide insight to what LF's opinion of the current situation is, and fits with the 'gamechanger' if SweetRobin gets killed, or LF for that matter.

Davos is a possibility, as it brings Rickon back into the picture without giving major plotlines of WoW away.

Theon spoiler we already have, so unlikely.

Jaime would resolve his cliffhanger, so possible, but not necessarily likely.

Samwell is a strong possibility as he could give us major info on what's happening in the Reach (like if Oldtown falls to the Ironborn)

Aeron (damphair) would be a disappointment for the readers, as most of us don't particularly care for his story.

Areo would only be doing something for Doran, presumably involving the KG in Dorne finding out about Myrcella, so IMO unlikely.

Cersei or anyone in KL doesn't work because it would inevitably contain knowledge of how the trial turns out, ruining that cliffhanger.

Brienne, I think we may have seen the last of Brienne PoVs, assuming Jaime isn't dead.

Asha would provide insight into stannis' motives, though I can't see him doing anything uber drastic at the moment.

Victarion would answer the questions that everyone has as to what's happening in Meereen with Dany gone and Barristan blundering along like the sweet fool he is.

Arrienne will most likely have info on Myrcella, another cliffhanger, so I don't see that happening (though I haven't read the spoiler chapter(s) from her that everyone keeps citing on this forum)

Connington is possible, with him being the PoV for Aegon/YG, maybe expounding on what is going on in t he Stormlands.

Mellisandre I covered in Jon's, cliffhanger resolution=/=good preview for next book. :)

Selmy would seem pointless unless it's seeing Dany come back to Meereen or after, which answers too many questions we have about her story at the moment.

This is just my opinion of the living current POVs, and as we have been promised no new ones, I covered my opinion of them all :cool4:

Anybody who thinks that the preview will have any major plot development is deluding themselves. We will NOT, for example, be reading about Cersei's trial or the battle of Winterfell/Meereen (which all but eliminates Theon, Asha, Barriston, Victarion and Tyrion). Nor will we be getting any sort of resolution of cliffhangers, which eliminates Jon, Melisandre, Jaime, and Brienne. The most likely candidates are Sansa, Samwell, and Arya. We haven't heard from Sansa or Sam since AFFC, which makes them very good candidates. As for Arya, she shouldn't be doing anything major quite yet, so she is another good possibility. Also, GRRM has already written a Sansa chapter AND an Arya chapter. Then again, GRRM could always lame out and give us one of the Aeron or Arianne chapters.

I feel like with all these cliffhangers, GRRM might be (rightfully) thinking that readers will be expecting a chapter that will hint to what happened to those characters, so I think he's going to pick a POV that revisits some of the other things tWoW will have to address, like whether or not Davos finds Rickon or not, what's going on with LF and Sansa, and not the mention the plethora of ambiguous prophecies and unresolved issues that have been plaguing fans' pet peeve lists. :drunk:

For example, I can see a Cersei chapter that, instead of revealing the outcome of her trial, learns that the Tyrells poisoned Joffrey, and thus showing the extent of the family's ambitions, and possibly giving a taste of what they're planning to do next, especially since they learn that Rhaeger's heir Aegon is apparently alive and coming take over King's Landing. Which IMHO provides us fans with more background information in preparation for tWoW without spoiling anything big.

But then who knows? All we can do is speculate and employ a lot of wishful thinking.

More likely than not, GRRM will throw in a Damphair chapter instead, because apparently he's doing something "very interesting." :stillsick: (after reading other people's posts I feel less bad about not giving a shit about Damphair, or the entire Iron Islands for that matter besides the Greyjoys abroad) but at this point I don't even care who's POV it is, as long as it's more ASOIF!! But it will be nice if this preview at least partially resolves some past issues that really won't spoil anything GRRM doesn't want to spoil. DwD just seemed to create more questions than answer them. :drunk:

Bran makes the most sense.

As others have stated, usually the preview chapter at the end of the chapter is a chapter that strongly whets the appetite to read the next book. This means that POVs that have been left as cliffhangers will not appear, so no Dany, Jon, or Asha (now since Theon's fate has become a cliffhanger). The cliffhanger has already whet the reader's appetite for more, resolving it in a preview chapter destroy's GRRM's goals.

Also, the preview chapter is usually designed to include a game changer fact that makes the reader what to read more. Like an "oh shit" moment that forces the reader to wonder what happens next.

Finally, the preview chapter focuses on the big theme of the next book. As an above post nicely summarized:

GoT had Theon meeting with Balon -- makes sense because Clash of Kings and new development was a new king claimant.

CoK had Sansa meeting with QoT -- SoS was largely a story of reversals and dramatic resolutions through internal schemes and betrayals so Sansa's meeting, setting some of the facts for one of the biggest betrayals of Joffrey's murder and Tyrion's faming, makes a lot of sense in hindsight

SoS had Cersei attenting the funeral of Tywin Lannister and having Kevan reject her invitation to be Hand, while withholding the Regency. -- makes sense because aFfC was all about the post-war death and fallout, particularly political fallout in Westeros

FfC had Dany holding court and hearing about Drogon killing a child -- makes sense because aDwD by title focuses on dragons

Using the above criteria as a guide, the most logical preview chapter is......BRAN!

Winds of Winter by title will focus on Winter. Winter, typically, is associated with the Others. Thus, it makes a lot of sense for the preview chapter (always an established POV) to set up the heightened threat that the Others will pose to Westeros. As Bran is the only POV north of the Wall and the Others are very unlikely to reach the wall by the beginning of WoW, it makes the most sense that Bran will be the preview chapter. The actual events and whether it is Bran 1 or 2 are impossible to predict, but my best guess is that Bran will have to move because the Others + zombies are moving south en mass towards the Wall and will overrun Children of the Forest's sanctuary, with the end of the chapter something to the extent of Bran being told by Bloodraven that now the cripple must fly away. Of course, it could also introduce new threats from the Great Other -- as possibly the human allies Mel has suggested in the past, new monsters, or some other big surprise that would indicate that the Great Other has something matching the "nuclear" capability of Dany's dragons.

Anybody who thinks that the preview will have any major plot development is deluding themselves. We will NOT, for example, be reading about Cersei's trial or the battle of Winterfell/Meereen (which all but eliminates Theon, Asha, Barriston, Victarion and Tyrion). Nor will we be getting any sort of resolution of cliffhangers, which eliminates Jon, Melisandre, Jaime, and Brienne. The most likely candidates are Sansa, Samwell, and Arya. We haven't heard from Sansa or Sam since AFFC, which makes them very good candidates. As for Arya, she shouldn't be doing anything major quite yet, so she is another good possibility. Also, GRRM has already written a Sansa chapter AND an Arya chapter. Then again, GRRM could always lame out and give us one of the Aeron or Arianne chapters.

I agree 100 percent. I wouldn't rule out Bran as well, but personally I'm afraid it would be Aeron or Arianne, thpugh I'd prefer arya or Sansa.

My bet is on Sansa (Metting Harry the Heir and learning a bit more about Littlefinger's plot) or Damphair (whatever the hell he's up to on the Iron Islands. I really don't care whatever it is). Both were absent from ADWD and would probably not give too much away.

Davos and Arya would also be possibilities (Davos setting foot on Skagos to look for Rickon or Arya finally returning to Westeros).

I really hope it's not Aeron Damphair (my least favorite character), but he seems most likely along with Sansa.

I personally believe that, after reading Theon I, a Bran chapter might ruin the suspense of Theon's predicament. If Bran has plans for Theon, then I don't think we will be getting his POV even in TWoW until after Theon's execution situation is resolved.

My thought would be Bran 1 would occur before Theon 1.

What makes it possibly unlikely, however, is that the two preview chapters are North-heavy and there will probably be some major stuff covered in Souther Westeros and Essos, so it may make sense for GRRM to do a POV from one of those areas to round it out.

But I still think Bran makes the most sense for the above reasons and GRRM probably expects that the largest number of future customers will be reading the preview in the end of the aDwD paperback than the previews through convention reads, website postings, etc.

My hope is that whatever Martin has planned for Damphair will be a complete gamechanger (Martin: "this chapter has some pretty messed up stuff..."). I hope its so good that people (including myself) actually begin to give a shit about Aeron.

Btw, I'm a Greyjoy fan and even I dislike Damphair.

Here's who it absolutely cannot be due to cliffhangers:

(Any Mereen Perspective)

Dany

Barristan

Tyrion

Victarion

Jamie

Brienne

Jon

Here's who it's unlikely to be:

Davos

Asha

Bran

Melisandre

Dawnstar (because who cares?)

Jon Connington (due to the fact that before the sample Arianne chapter, he'd literally be doing nothing, elsewise you skip that chapter entirely)

So who might it be?

Arya

Samwell

Cersei

Damphair (UGH)

Sansa

Arianne

Theon

Since I live in France, it will be hard to lay my hands on it, so I hope people will publish it online !

Not legally, they wouldn't. I expect there'll be a summary floating around the board at some point.

Archived