Which Pov will we get with the paperback ADWD?

Candor

Hello,

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but on the UK version of Amazon the paperback is split into two books due for release on the 15th of March. You can use their 'look inside' function to get a preview of the book.

Part 1 does not show if there is a preview chapter from The Winds of Winter but in part two it shows that the preview chapter will be the Theon chapter that is already published on GRRM's website. Here is a link.

Let's hope that there is one in Part 1!

Hmm, didn't think of that, but if it's also true that:

GRRM has said it will not be the Theon chapter he just gave us. also he said he will not be introducing any new Pov characters in TWoW other than one-off prologue or epilogue characters.

then GRRM can't show us a POV from any of the characters who have a part to play in the second part of the paperback edition. Would be stupid for all the first time readers of DwD.

That leaves us with:

1. Davos or Jamie (I think their chapters are well in the first half of DwD)

2. Sansa or Sam (they had no chapters at all in DwD)

Or did I miss something?

I have to admit I'm confused. How this corresponds to GRRM's assurances it wouldn't be a gift chapter in the paperback of ADWD? Even if there is another one in the first part of a split book, I thought it was said it wouldn't be Theon. Weird.

The chapter that is previewed for 'After the Feast' is Theon's 'The Turncloak' chapter. This could very well be the first chapter in the book, as the cliffhanger for Part One would be Tyrion being captured by a slaver.

That doesn't mean the sample chapter is a Theon chapter - that first page gives an idea of what the layout will be.

For what it's worth, the blurb is wrong - it states that Tyrion is sold as a slave in Yunkai!

I don't quite get what you're saying. So the Preview Chapter for TWOW that one can see in the Preview of ADWD: After the Feast on Amazon isn't final? or what?

Against that, I'd argue now that it is clear that the preview chapter in ADWD: Part 1 (Dust and something, right?) will be of a character not in the second part of the book. (If it isn't one chapter of the second part of ADWD). That makes Aeron the most likely candidate in my mind and GRRM was eager to read it already so there seems to be something gamechanging in there...

No. If you follow the link above, you can view 'a chapter' from the book. That is 'The Turncloak'. The first chapter in the book (look at the page numbers). It says nothing about TWOW preview chapter.

There won't be a preview chapter in part one.

No. If you follow the link above, you can view 'a chapter' from the book. That is 'The Turncloak'. The first chapter in the book (look at the page numbers). It says nothing about TWOW preview chapter.

No, you are wrong -- there are two chapters in that preview, the first is Turncloak, the second is Theon chapter from TWOW, the pages even have headers "The Winds of Winter", just scroll untill the end, you'll see.

Ah sorry, I stand corrected!

I'm a little disappointed that we are getting the same preview chapter. I suppose this chapter was chosen because it expands on one of the major plot lines of the book's second half and ends in a cliffhanger.

I guess we will have to wait and see which chapter is in the US version.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a date for when the pb will be published? I read somewhere that it would be in March, but I don't know if that's true.

Yeah I thought it was March as well, but that was just some date that was on amazon and when I went back to look for it earlier this week it wasn't there anymore.

So I went to an actual book store website (barnes and noble) and their release date for the paperback is June 27th or something around there which makes sense because typically a paperback version is published a year after the hardcover was released so they can make as much money off hardcovers as possible.

Yeah I thought it was March as well, but that was just some date that was on amazon and when I went back to look for it earlier this week it wasn't there anymore.

So I went to an actual book store website (barnes and noble) and their release date for the paperback is June 27th or something around there which makes sense because typically a paperback version is published a year after the hardcover was released so they can make as much money off hardcovers as possible.

[EDIT: damn, no image embedding allowed?]

Well, in fact the UK paperback should be released March 15th, split into two books. Voyager (UK publisher) confirmed their paperback would get a sample chapter. The release date for the US paperback has as far as I know not been confirmed to be June 27th.

So my heart skipped a few beats when I saw this at my local bookstore (Netherlands):

http://i94.photobuck...on/4ec524a7.jpg

Yes, the Harper Voyager paperback of Dance, in one book instead of two.

http://i94.photobuck...on/31b8f06d.jpg

And... it has a Winds sample chapter.

But sadly, we've already read it. It's Theon.

http://i94.photobuck...on/0348207e.jpg

They also had one copy of a Bantam (US) paperback, which had no sample chapter.

http://i94.photobuck...on/f2ec6036.jpg

As far as I know these releases were both completely unannounced. Very strange.

Archived