Noooooooo (spoilers regarding Red Viper)

Southpaw1989

The Viper was fantastic.

That being said I think he went into the battle planning to die. I think he wanted to die. The poison he used was slow acting and painful because he wanted the Mountain to suffer, yet the duel had to be settled that day, and if it were settled with him winning he would not be able to drag out the Mountains death. I think he had every intention of dying in that battle.

The Viper was fantastic.

That being said I think he went into the battle planning to die. I think he wanted to die. The poison he used was slow acting and painful because he wanted the Mountain to suffer, yet the duel had to be settled that day, and if it were settled with him winning he would not be able to drag out the Mountains death. I think he had every intention of dying in that battle.

There wasn't even a small change that he could win at all. If he thought that he had a change of winning, he was just stupid.

That's an interesting notion, I never thought of it like that. I can't remember if it was Tyrion's thoughts or the Red Viper himself saying it but the political mayhem caused by the mountain winning as opposed to the red viper winning was brought up. The thought makes me feel better anyway, at why the Red Viper hesitated to give the Mountain the final blow, you know, after Viper had pierced, disarmed and floored the Mountain, standing over the Mountain with his own greatsword whilst he himself had hardly been touched (if at all) by the mountain, with a 99% chance of winning.

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting notion, I never thought of it like that. I can't remember if it was Tyrion's thoughts or the Red Viper himself saying it but the political mayhem caused by the mountain winning as opposed to the red viper winning was brought up. The thought makes me feel better anyway, at why the Red Viper hesitated to give the Mountain the final blow, you know, after Viper had pierced, disarmed and floored the Mountain, standing over the Mountain with his own greatsword whilst he himself had hardly been touched (if at all) by the mountain, with a 99% chance of winning.

He had to use the longsword because his spear was lodeged in the Mountain's body. Why he lingered was because he wanted a confession from him, but if there is one lesson I've learned from literature and film is that if you have a chance to kill someone, do it! Do it fast, do it right and then drink to thier memory. I really don't think he planned to die, but he did have one hell of a contingency plan.

I loved the Red Viper as well. He almost had Gregor, too. He was soooo close. Ugh! I despised Gregor and I liked the idea of Elia's own blood being the ones to do him in after the horrible way he murdered her and her babies. I was very upset when he died. I was like, "JUST KILL HIM, already!" Gregor is a monster and he will never show remorse or admit guilt for his past atrocities. Oberyn got too carried away.

Can't say I was really surprised by this. Although while reading it I was extremely surprised when I thought that Oberyn was going to win. But of course the Mountain had to ruin all that.

Definitely seemed like one of the cooler secondary characters that I've seen in the series so far. Disappointed to see him go but it's not like Martin has any trouble killing off important likeable characters haha.

I agree. I was also devastated. I was really starting to fall in love with him, especially how he kept yelling at Gregor during the fight. It just sent chills down my spine, and made me say, "No, please don't kill him - I want to get to know this character better!" But I had a feeling he was going to die. Actually, I think he may have wanted to die, or at least knew it was coming. It definitely shook up Dorne.

I agree. I was also devastated. I was really starting to fall in love with him, especially how he kept yelling at Gregor during the fight. It just sent chills down my spine, and made me say, "No, please don't kill him - I want to get to know this character better!" But I had a feeling he was going to die. Actually, I think he may have wanted to die, or at least knew it was coming. It definitely shook up Dorne.

I think it will definitely bring Myrcella to be more important with her being in Dorne and all. Especially since she's been completely pointless so far.

Read that scene last night, was brilliant. A part of me thought it was coming though when it detailed him being geared up by his 4 servants. It was like he was being prepared for battle one last time.

In a manner similar to Lady Stark, once you let thoughts of vengeance and justice cloud your mind, you end up dead. I'm thinking that this might become a common theme. Which doesn't bode well for Dany.

• 2 weeks later...

The Prince of Dorne came to King's Landing for justice, and that just was getting The Mountain to confess. He could've killed him earlier, but he wanted Clegane to confess first. After the confession, that was his justice. He went down, but he dragged The Mountain with him. The moment was intense as they fought, and he went down as one of my favourite character then.

I especially loved how Tyrion realizes no matter who wins, he's going to cause a lot of trouble for everyone and how it is almost worth to die for that alone. ;o)

Yeah I finished that scene yesterday night and it made for an interesting inspiration for all kinds of nightmares. Awesome.

The only reason I hoped the Mountain would survive is that I had secretly hoped he'd some day die at the hands of his brother Sandor. Obviously, that's now very unlikely to happen, but it will delight him to hear that Gregor died as painfully as he probably will of the Viper's poison. Really gruesome little side detail how he accidentally hacks the stable boy to pieces. Eeeeew.

I'm really sad the character is gone, but on the other hand... he had it coming somehow. And I think he expected it. And it's going to be really interesting now.

Everyone needs a character flaw. For the Red Viper, it was hubris. Then again, his spear was ruined and the sword was available. One rule seems to fit the GRRM universe that is casually ignored: when you have a chance to kill someone, do it!

Like Scott Evil always told his father in Austin Powers! :D

The only reason I hoped the Mountain would survive is that I had secretly hoped he'd some day die at the hands of his brother Sandor. Obviously, that's now very unlikely to happen, but it will delight him to hear that Gregor died as painfully as he probably will of the Viper's poison.

I had thought he might die from fire, not by the Hound but perhaps by Dracarys from Rhaegal!

Archived