The Three-Headed Dragon (Possible Spoilers)

Ser Malthred Storm

I just finished the chapter where

Maester Aemon dies :crying:. After talking of how there needs to be three Targaryens to conquer Westeros. My theory is that the other two could be Jon and possibly Stannis. Jon already has many theories about how he is Lyanna and Rhaegar's son---which also resolves the whole "Promise me Ned" business---making him a Targaryen. Aemon also mentions that Stannis has some dragon blood as well, and unless G.R.R.M reveals a whole new character, he seems the only likely candidate. What do you all think of this?

Yeah, I definitely do think Jon is one of the dragonheads aside from Dany. As for the third, I don't know who to think that is. I suppose it would have to be someone who is compatible with the other two dragon riders...

The reason why Stannis has partial dragon blood is because the Baratheons on one side of their family can trace their lineage back to the Targaryens. Aegon V's daughter, Rhaelle Targaryen, married a Lord Baratheon of Storm's End. It does not mention his name, but he was most definitely a Baratheon. Rhaelle became the mother of Steffon Baratheon, and Steffon had three sons--Robert, Stannis and Renly.

Interesting, I think Dany and Jon would be my obvious first two picks, however the only thing I can think of for Bran is if he really learns how to utilize being a warg. He could possibly use that to his advantage to be one of the three? I'm just trying to think of how to justify the idea of Bran.

However, in my own opinion, I've yet to decide who the third rider could be. Could be cool if it were Tyrion OR Bran though.

I agree. If R+L=J is true, Jon would have the Targaryen connection (via Rhaegar). However, he is also connected to the Starks (via Lyanna), so technically speaking, Bran would be a logical candidate.

HOWEVER, I think Bran has a different role to play as a Warg. Again given Jon's connection to the Starks, isn't it also possible that Rickon could return to the story and that HE could be the third dragon rider? Think about it. Right now he's with the wildling woman, Osha (ICE, she came down from north of the Wall). So if he's destined to be the third dragon rider (FIRE), there could be another meaning of the phrase "A Song of Ice and Fire".

1. Lyanna Stark + Rhaegar Targaryen Ice & Fire

2. Jon being the product of R+L=J Ice & Fire together

3. Possibility of Bran (who is now north of the Wall) or Rickon (who's with a Wildling woman FROM north of the Wall) being the third dragon rider Ice & Fire

Here's another theory I have... So far, I've listed three (3) possibilities for the meaning of "A Song of Ice and Fire". In the series (at least through AFFC), GRRM wrote through the minds of several characters in Westeros that seven (7) is the magic number. 7 books planned, 7 gods/faces of God in southern Westeros, 7 Kingdoms... SO, I have a feeling that at some point through the next three books, he's gonna hint to us 4 more possibilities of what ASOIAF could mean with regard to the Stark-Targaryen connection.

My guesses. Dany and Jon seem to be a lock for me. Stark and Targaryen Ice and Fire Wolf and Dragon. And I believe that R + L = J.

As for the third, I don't know.

There are 4 canidates that I can think of.

Jorah-- Dany values him and truely wants him to regain his home/honor, and maybe she loves him. (I think she regrets sending him away immediately after doing so) Weakest of all the choices, I don't really think he is up to the Herculean task of dragon riding.

Bran -- brave, loyal, fierce in his way, and a Warg so technically he wouldn't have to use his body. I am more inclined to believe he will be Bran the Rebuilder/ spiritual leader than a dragon knight, but who knows GRRM loves to throw curve balls, although it would be a little redundant to have 2 Starks as dragon riders.

Arya -- Fierce, Loyal, Warg, Stark(ice), idolized Aegons sisters when she was young. She would be a great dragon knight, but I think that she will continue on her path of becoming a faceless man, in order to exact revenge on her enemies, who I believe will all be dead by the time she is able to kill them. Ditto on the redundant Stark idea.

Tyrion -- Smart, loyal, and shows unexpected levels of bravery. He has shown great affection for cripples, bastards, and broken things, and who is more outcasted than the exiled princess and the bastard of winterfell? I think that Dany will feel the same level of kinship towards Tyrion, that Jon and Tyrion felt when they bonded on the wall. He also dreamt of riding dragons as a child, and we all know how prophetic and important dreams are in the ASOIAF universe. Also, arguably the strongest houses in Westeros historically would be Stark, Targaryen, and Lannister, why not have all three represented in dragon riding. Not to mention how poetic it would be if the three that conquered Westeros were the three that no one really expected to hold any real power when they were young.

My instincts make me think that Tyrion will be the third dragon rider.

I'd like to point something out here, and that's the fact that Jon Snow to my knowledge shows no signs in his external features of having Targaryen blood. It may be that I'm biased by the appearance of Kit Harington playing him in the TV series but I also seem to recall that his HBO appearance pretty much matches how he's described in the books.

There have also been two references to his mother in the books - possible red herrings or deliberate cover ups by Ned of course, but I personally don't think neither that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, nor that he'll end up a dragon rider. He is sworn to the Night's Watch and I definitely believe that he will abide by his oath - although still of course keep playing an important part in the story to the end.

You're right, the books say that Jon looks more like ned than any of the other children.

As to his mother, I don't believe that Ned would let Jon feel so alone by not knowing who his mother was, if he weren't protecting some dangerous truth. Jon could have handled the truth but if that truth would have made him unsafe Ned would not have allowed anyone to know about it.

Robert was Ned's best friend, and there is no way a best friend can let you go without finding out who the mother of your bastard is. So Ned had to say something to him. There was no way around that.

Also one more point.

I don't think that Jon has to forsake his vows inorder to be a rider, he doesn't have to be king, or Dany's heir or anything.

But if the Others are completely wiped out wouldn't that make the Nights Watch useless? They will probably be disbanded if the war is truely won.

You're right, the books say that Jon looks more like ned than any of the other children.

As to his mother, I don't believe that Ned would let Jon feel so alone by not knowing who his mother was, if he weren't protecting some dangerous truth. Jon could have handled the truth but if that truth would have made him unsafe Ned would not have allowed anyone to know about it.

Robert was Ned's best friend, and there is no way a best friend can let you go without finding out who the mother of your bastard is. So Ned had to say something to him. There was no way around that.

Been lurking for a while... Finally joined to post something that struck me when I read your post. I think that even though Robert was Ned's best friend, it could be that Robert was one of the main people from whom Jon would need protection. Meaning, given the way Robert felt about Lyanna, he would have been highly likely to kill any offspring she had with Rhaegar, out of sheer jealousy.

And correcting myself to what I wrote above I should of course point out that IF Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, he could of course have inherited his Stark appearance from Lyanna...

However, I still think this whole theory is :bs: and I'd honestly be disappointed with GRRM if it turned out to be that way.

• 8 months later...

It seems likly that Dany is one head and Jon another.

Often people try to find a male person as the third head. But y is that? Ok, if Dany would be an aquivalent to Aegon I it does make sense. It is possible that the third head is female though. Maybe it is a second bride to Jon.

Thinking about the history of Dorne... in the end of the story there has to be factor that binds Dorne to the Seven Kingdoms. They had been independent for longer than any other kingdom and may have still an ambition to seperate. It is crackpot, but hey, y not say Arianne?! She is a princess and she once was promised to a Targ (ha, so she is a promised-princess too ;) ) and she wants a husband with teeth (direwolf!).

i think the dragon riders will be jon, danny and tyrion. stannis may have dragon blood but also brown ben plumm (i think stannis will die in the end, so maybe that's another reason), but some people think victarion could be one of the riders since he has euron's dragon-binder horn. but i prefer tyrion to victarion, and he could ride viserion since it's the smallest dragon and he has always been in interested in dragon lore. & grrm said tyrion was his fav. character somewhere so he might allow him to ride a dragon in the end..?

Tyrian rides the Dragon but Bran Wargs it saving Tyrian, He would be best bet to rebuild Westeros.

Dany is the obvious first choice. Dany-Drogon

i totally believe Jon is a Targ, so Jon-Rhaegal

Where's the bloody spoiler button, nevermind, about Aegon! I believe he dies eventually so that Tyrion (much to my dismay) turns out to be a Targ. So Tyrion-Vyserion it is (I really hope not)

I came to this conclusion due to GRRM's infatuation towards Tyrion's character.

Jon would line up with Vyserion, who is like ghost, white, red eyes.

Dany is easily the first choice for the 3 headed dragon, she will ride on Drogon, the names match and he was the biggest at the end of book 3.

The second will be either (the mummer's Dragon/Jon Snow)

With the Mummer's Dragon, I'm not entirely sure if he is a true Targaryen. I have never trusted Varys, and Illyrio is no better. Hiding away one Targaryen is impressive but two, not sure that happened. I'm sure GRRM will reveal who this dragon really is. If it isn't the Mummer's Dragon it will be jon snow. He will be Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, I'm sure of it. Lyanna was taken after the tourney at Harrenhal and from their Branden and Lord Stark rode south to KL. They were murdered by the mad king, Ned was in the Eyrie and Jon Arryn raised his banner instead of turning Ned over to the mad king. Ned escaped north, Robert rode with Jon Arryn and Lord Tully rose in the riverlands. Once Ned raises his banner in the North and the battle of the bells, then the battle and death of rhaegar on the Trident. Then Tywin Lannister arrived at KL, and sacks the city. Jaime kills the mad king (which his explanation for is the best thing i have ever read), and Ned stark shows up quickly after to hold the throne for Robert. Once Robert arrives in KL, Ned rides to Dorne to the ToJ with his 6 northmen. He comes upon the White Bull, Sword of the Morning, and Whent. After the battle where Ned and Howland Reed are the only two left, they rescue Lyanna and the famous, "Promise Me, Ned". In ASOS, Edric Dayne tells Arya that Jon snow was his milk brother. Ned had gotten Edric's aunt pregnant and when Ned didn't return she killed herself. But Harwin says she was sister to the sword of the morning, that was why she threw herself into the sea. In book 6, Howland Reed must appear, he is the only person in the seven kingdoms who knows the truth of the ToJ. Jon was raised in Starfall till Ned came back and picked him up before he returned north. Ned never got to discuss Jon's mother with him, the last time they saw each other was not supposed to be. I would rather see Jon Targaryen and not have the Mummer's Dragon's be a real Targaryen.

So the Third Head of the dragon will have no Targaryen blood, and it will be the best moment in the entire series, where one character comes to realize his purpose. Tyrion Lannister will ride a dragon, I just know it. He can read and speak Valyrian, he knows all the stories of dragons, and lets be honest, he has had a couple rough years so once he arrives somewhere near Daenarys he will be able to woo her and meet the dragons. After that he will be the lord of Casterly Rock and he will go back to Westeros

• 3 weeks later...

When Viserion finds a liking to BBP, I kinda hope he's not one of the riders. :worried:

And correcting myself to what I wrote above I should of course point out that IF Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, he could of course have inherited his Stark appearance from Lyanna...

However, I still think this whole theory is :bs: and I'd honestly be disappointed with GRRM if it turned out to be that way.

It's the most popular theory. But what I hate about it most is that people saying he's legitimate as if it's already a fact.

• 1 year later...

I personally subscribe to Tyrion Jon and Daenerys constituting The Three-Headed Dragon.To start with Jon and Tyrion can potentially have Targaryen blood,as long as R+L=J and Tyrion being the result of Aerys/Joanna affair.To add, I have noticed some similarities between the characters.The three of them are the third child born to a couple,except Rhaegar,who had made children with different women.Not to mention that all of them killed their mother while being born.

Thus, I connected The Three-Headed Dragon theory with the Azor Ahai theory.As we know, Azor Ahai managed to make Lightbringer in his third attempt by killing Nissa Nissa.This is translated to the fact that all of them were the third attempt and killed a loved woman,their mother..

So,these three to be The Three-Headed Dragon and thus the three forms of Azor Ahai.

I am sure there are some obsticles to this theory that might not make it true...

I always wonder, why everyone thinks there has to be dragonriders. Someone stated in this thread that GRRM doesn't do the obvious. So I wouldn't be surprised if there will be no dragonriding. Or if there will be dragonriders, Daenerys and Jon - the most obvious and popular choices - may not be among them.

Frankly, I don't care that much who rides the dragons, but that said dragons are still alive at the end of the story. I'm not a huge Dany-Fan (not a hater either, I just don't care about her character that much) but I love the dragons :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

what if the third dragon head is the son or daughter of Jon (targaryen) Snow and Dany? It seems like Jon and Dany are the most solid candidates as of now, and no one else really makes sense, or at least anyone else is a huge stretch. Bran could make sense as someone who rides or wargs into one of the dragons, but that still doesnt have to mean he is one of the heads. So if Dany and Jon were to pair up, and I see this being a possiblility because if R+L=Jon then Jon is the last male Targaryen and we all know Targs like to keep it in the family. Jon is Fire and Ice, Dany is the Mother of Dragons and their child could then be the third head and LIghtbringer

Archived