Who is ser Robert Strong gonna face in the trial?

Revan Baratheon

And somehow, this just does not feel "right" to me. If there is going to be a reveal of the New and Improved Sandor, I don't see this being the way. And if there is going to be a reckoning between the brothers, then it seems rather anticlimactic to have it occur in conjunction with Sandor's re-reveal, only a few chapters (at most) into the next book, and abruptly ending in one of them dying. I think we will see Sandor again and there will be a reckoning, but not like this.

Soooo, the person I believe it will be, who definitely meets at least one (and possibly both, given his general stupidity) of the criteria above, is Lancel. Lancel alone is 100% certain of Cersei's guilt, because he participated with her in some of the crimes she is accused of. And he has become more than enough of a true believer to just KNOW that the gods will grant him victory no matter who he fights, because his is the side of the righteous.

I agree so much, and this could be a catalyst in Sandor's re-reveal. A huge zombie knight is bound to cause gossip, and there is a certain little bird who is wanted for regicide. If she were to get caught and have to stand trial against the crown...

I agree so much, and this could be a catalyst in Sandor's re-reveal. A huge zombie knight is bound to cause gossip, and there is a certain little bird who is wanted for regicide. If she were to get caught and have to stand trial against the crown...

I agree! Bran saw both Jaime and the Hound facing Ser Strong. Both of them are "little brothers." But the timeline is off.

Cersei has to lose everything, before the valonqar comes. She will see all of her children crowned and all die, she will lose her position, her family, her friends and loved ones,...everything.

So whoever is going to be the Faith's champion will certainly fall to Ser Strong. It also makes no sense to bring out this unstoppable champion, then have him defeated in his first round, so to speak. Cersei will win her trial.

++++++++

I also believe that Jaime will eventually die because he is one that Cersei holds dear, even if they are now apart, he is still her brother. Also Jaime's dream about being herded into a pit by silent cowled men (monks?) to face his past. In the pit he is faced with his broken vows and his crime of kingslayer. He later tells Brienne that Sansa is his last chance for honor. I think it would be quite a guilt trip for Cersei if her brother was killed by her champion. (And I like Jaime and don't want to see him die!)

In Bran's dream there were 'shadows all around' King Robert, Ned and the girls. This is the point when Ned was pleading with the king for Sansa's wolf. There were soldiers and servants in the room. Then Bran goes on to describe the Hound and Jaime as also being in shadow. What does a shadow do but follow it's master? In that sense perhaps Jaime and the Hound were acting on behalf of another, facing down Ser Strong for someone else. I don't know if they will stand together as a team when the time comes or not, but Bran saw it happen. At some point the Hound will have to face his older brother. The question is who will win the battle and how? How do you stop the undead - with fire.

Cersei wants Sansa dead...no, she want Sansa to suffer so much that she 'begs' for death. I think at one point Sansa will be found out.

When Cersei gets wind of where Sansa is, she will have a decision to make if she wants to follow through and move against Sansa for her part in killing Joffrey. She can either have her arrested and brought back for trial, or send out someone to kill her outright. If there is a trial, Ser Strong will be the champion once again. But he was once Tywin's mad dog, and was used to attack the strongholds in the Riverlands. So I could also see her just sending him out on a mission like some 'Terminator.' Like Resse said: "He doesn't eat, he doesn't sleep, and he will not stop...until you are dead." Then there is that other prophecy about Sansa and a 'savage giant' in a castle of snow that makes me wonder if it is the same giant.

So I think whoever fights Ser Strong in Cersei' trial will lose, Ser Strong will go on and will fight Sandor at some point. Just not yet.

Cersei wants Sansa dead...no, she want Sansa to suffer so much that she 'begs' for death. I think at one point Sansa will be found out.

When Cersei gets wind of where Sansa is, she will have a decision to make if she wants to follow through and move against Sansa for her part in killing Joffrey. She can either have her arrested and brought back for trial, or send out someone to kill her outright. If there is a trial, Ser Strong will be the champion once again. But he was once Tywin's mad dog, and was used to attack the strongholds in the Riverlands. So I could also see her just sending him out on a mission like some 'Terminator.' Like Resse said: "He doesn't eat, he doesn't sleep, and he will not stop...until you are dead." Then there is that other prophecy about Sansa and a 'savage giant' in a castle of snow that makes me wonder if it is the same giant.

So I think whoever fights Ser Strong in Cersei' trial will lose, Ser Strong will go on and will fight Sandor at some point. Just not yet.

Whoa, I never considered that they would let an unstoppable, undead, and possibly uncontrollable knight out of the castle, but she is totally crazy enough to do it!

Whoa, I never considered that they would let an unstoppable, undead, and possibly uncontrollable knight out of the castle, but she is totally crazy enough to do it!

I try to look at all angles and don't make assumptions unless there is some evidence. All I know is that Bran with the assistance of Bloodraven, saw Jaime and the Hound facing Ser Strong. They were in shadow like many others around the King, Ned & the girls. To me, shadows do the will of who they belong to, so they might be acting on someone's orders, or doing it to protect someone. But Bloodraven & Bran saw it happen, and so far no one has been able to give me a good reason why it won't come to pass.

Everyone seems to be stuck on Ser Strong never leaving King's Landing. But I feel that after he proves himself in the trial, Cersei will use him. She is desperate for someone to do her bidding and keep their mouth shut about it. (pun intended) Also I can see her wielding him like a weapon after she is free and clear.

I 'assume' she will win the trial because she hasn't lost everything she holds dear yet. Also for GRRM to create this undefeatable monster then put him down so quickly is not really GRRM's style. That is why I make the assumption that she will win. But what will happen after that? If she has no need of him in the capital, or perhaps if people start asking questions about his strange behavior, then she might send him out on missions to deal with her enemies rather than keep him close by where people whisper. I mean, he's like her own personal assassin. The darkest sorcerery was used to create him, and he is dressed like some false white knight of the Faith, but he is nothing but darkness inside. A total mockery to the Faith. If the Faith should find out the truth about him......not to mention Dorne will be pretty pissed off as well.

As for Sansa, it's no doubt that Varys is trying to find her, but for what reason? I feel that he knows what Ser Strong is. He was great at disguises and he knows the underbelly of the Red Keep better than anyone. He probably knew (and heard) Qyburn working down there. Also, a knight that bumped into Brienne was telling her how Varys promised him a treasure if he found Sansa. Brienne discovers that many people are out hunting Sansa and the Hound. Later the knight known as the "Mad Mouse" has somehow wandered to the Eyrie and into Littlefinger's service. He was introduced to and spoke with Sansa directly. I don't know where this is leading and if he will recognize her, but Varys probably sent a number of people out looking in all different directions. She will be found out eventually, one way or another.

"If" Varys is the one that discovers her then what is he planning to do? Would he have her brought back to Cersei, no...I don't think so. I could see him using Sansa to bring down Cersei in some way. He might also attempt to use her to bring down Littlefinger. But I don't see how he is going to steal Sansa out from under Littlefinger's nose. But he is seeking her whereabouts.

And what "if" Brienne is the one to find Sansa? She was instructed to get her someplace safe. There is no place safe, no place to hide where she would not be seen...except that island with it's natural defenses. I'm not shipping SanSan, just pointing it out from Brienne's side. That's the safest place at this point in the series. Winter is coming, the people are starving, there is death everywhere, even the septs are raided. But this island has an abundance of food, is a sanctuary that would protect her honor, and the Elder Bro.'s was a former knight who physique impressed her. I could see Brienne taking her there. But again the problem with this theory is that first Brienne would have to snatch Sansa away from Littlefinger, which I doubt she would be able to.

Lastly, what will Cersei do when she learns where Sansa is? Will she bring her back and make her face Ser Strong in a combat trial? But maybe she knows that Sansa would probably choose a trial by Faith, so victory would not be certain. Maybe Cersei would just send out Ser Strong to kill Sansa outright. In a castle of snow perhaps? If Cersei learns where she is I could easily see her sending out a force to take Sansa, either to bring her back or to kill her there. She believes Sansa killed her son, the king, and because she is the heir to Winterfell she might still see Sansa as 'the younger queen.' She's paranoid. But what if it's Cersei's own daughter? hmmm...

I have just been trying to find out why Bran saw Jaime and the Hound facing Ser Strong. And why it was important to Bran to see it because if it wasn't, then Bloodraven wouldn't have shown him. What would drive Jaime to face his sister's champion?

I think when aegon 6 starts winning the tyrells might switch to him...cant see them ever joining stannis,and never forget they were targ loyalists originally...but this should be discussed in another thread,if someone can start such a thread,i would be grateful,or give link to existing?

Anyway ungregor vs lancel would be pretty dissapointing when compared to the memorable red viper duel

I still think it should be obara,cause i really wanba see her finally avenge her dad.plus it would be an epic duel/chapter !!!

"You killed my father,prepare to die!!"

Ya...

Obara came at Ser Robert Strong with her spear, trying to find a weak point in his armor. Flashing it harmlessly off the plate. Ser Robert never said a word swinging his two-handed greatsword as easily as a child swings a twig. Obara was tiring, yet the giant kept coming, never making a sound. The bastard wasn't even panting, he wasn't even breathing. Exhausted she tried to dodge his latest swing but was too slow, it took her arm off completely. A shadow fell over her as he blotted out the sun. "And then I smashed his fucking face in, like this!"

Seriously though, fan fiction aside, why does anybody think Obara has any chance? She isn't as good as the Red Viper is and sounds like she is an aggressive and stupid fighter (her interactions with Hotah) whereas Oberyn was a veteran of a hundred fights and cunning. Hell, Hotah said he would carve through her like a cake if they ever went at it, and it seemed quite reasonable to believe Hotah was close to Oberyn in terms of skill and all that.

Oberyn fought Gregor when he was injured and drinking a gallon of milk of the poppy a day, a substance that knocks people out for days if they have just a small amount of it. He also needed the poison to actually kill him and slow him down. Now we have a Gregor without the problem of stamina, without the capacity to be poisoned, wearing armor even thicker than what he used to wear and Obara is going to beat him..Obara? Come on. She'll be minced up by Swann or Darkstar by the time the trial comes about.

I've not read through the thread so I am.probably echoing others, but my thoughts on some of the candidates:

Sandor "the Gravedigger" Clegane: Very unlikely imo. To begin with, he is a wanted man for two crimes. One he is not guilty of, i.e. the Sack of Saltpans. The other he is guilty of, i.e. desertion in the middle of battle, which might carry a death penalty (idk if it does or not, but regardless he himself would have to be tried before he could represent the Faith, which time limits would not.permit). Conclusion, Sandor is unlikely.

Loras: Currently 'wounded' on Dragonstone. Assuming he is, he is in no fit state for battle. Assuming he isnt, the lie that he was will be exposed, causing some.level of scandal. Also, OP, he wouldnt be fighting to restore his sister's honour, he is fighting to prove Cersei guilty of regicide, deicide, and adultry. This presents another reason Loras would not be the Faith's champion; the Tyrells are in power while Margery is married to the King. Should Cersei be found guilty, Tommen is suddenly illegitimate, no longer King, and Marg is therefore no longer Queen and the Tyrells are out of power. Conclusion; Loras is unlikely.

Garlan Tyrell: In your OP you say Loras could win but Garlan would lose. I find this interesting, because Garlan is a better swordsman than Loras, as Loras himself admits to. We even see Garlan holding off three swordsman at once while training. Just quickly addressing that. But the reason for Loras re: Tyrell power stands for Garlan too, as well as the fact he is tied up in the Rech with Euron and the Ironborn. Conclusion; highly unlikely.

Brienne of Tarth: A formidable swords(wo)man despite the numerous injuries she has recently sustained. However, she is currently in the Riverlands with Jamie, potentially returning to the Brotherhood Without Banners and Lady Stoneheart. Even ignoring this fact, there is a large distance between the RL and Kig's Landing, making it difficult for Brienne to return in time. Although, having said that, I seem to remember that Jamie has been missing for some two weeks as of the DwD epilogue, so there is potential for Brienne here, but I still consider her unlikely. Unless of course she is the far out option "another, younger and more beautiful". Conclusion; possible, but not.entirely likely.

Jamie: As above with time constraints but the potential to be there, having.been missing some time. That he is mentioned in the epilogue could potentially be a hint that he may be in the city, and is actually going to be the Faith's champion rather than Cersei's as the result of some information or event that may have come to light. It would be fitting woth his arc to be the cause of Cersei's downfall and all by defeating Robert Strong, but as a fighter right now he is, well, less than competent. But that is guesswork of course. Conclusion; Jamie is highly debateable. (Crackpot; Jamie is "youger and more beautiful and will take all Cersei holds dear by allowing RS to kill him and making Cersei realise she loves her twin :p *endcrackpot*)

Lancel Lannister; Currently in a position to champion the Faith and extremely pious. If the High Sparrow asked him, there is little doubt Lancel would champion the Faith. The HS recognises that Cersei must be found not guilty in order for the Faith to maintain the power franted by Tommen, and so thwy may put forward frail and weakened Lancel as a scapegoat. Possible, but this assumes the HS is actually a schemer like all others. Conclusion; Lancel is a good candidate

Ser Theodan the True; Another of the Faith's Knights we have been introduxed to by name, Ser Theodan has interacted with Cersei twice - once carrying a message for the HS, and again for her Walk of Shame. This may suggest he ia highly regarded among the order of the Stars. Chances against Robert Strong are unknown, as we have no information on his skills as a knight. Conclusion; another good candidate

ETA: Obara is in Dorne, hunting Darkstar. Lady Nym and Tyene Sand are heading to King's Landing.

ETA (2): Out there theory - following the deaths of Grand Maester Pycelle and Kevan Lannister, and unknown and chaotic sequence of events results in both Cersei's and Margaerys trials not happening at all

I don t think Cersei will lose her trial, I think Margery will lose hers (arranged by intrigues of Varys to heat the conflict Tyrell/Lannister).

Probably the Faith will name someone among its new Warriors to face UnGregor and perhaps Lancel will step forward to atone for his own sins with Cersei and probably UnGregor will kill him..I can imagine something like that.

I doubt it, Cersei has already picked her champion, and the trial is supposed to be very close to the end of Dance. If it were a Trial by Seven it would.most likely have been announced already. Unlike Dunk and Egg, this Trial has been planned for a while now, whereas Dunk's trial was pretty spur of the moment

In Bran's dream there were 'shadows all around' King Robert, Ned and the girls. This is the point when Ned was pleading with the king for Sansa's wolf. There were soldiers and servants in the room. Then Bran goes on to describe the Hound and Jaime as also being in shadow. What does a shadow do but follow it's master? In that sense perhaps Jaime and the Hound were acting on behalf of another, facing down Ser Strong for someone else. I don't know if they will stand together as a team when the time comes or not, but Bran saw it happen. At some point the Hound will have to face his older brother. The question is who will win the battle and how? How do you stop the undead - with fire.

Sandor overcoming his fear of fire to win, that just sounds like GRRM. I hope for that. And I can definitely see him as the new Sandor, who needs a motive (like Sansa in danger) for killing his brother, because he doesn't want to do it anymore. Because that's character development.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I am not even sure RS is going to be Cersei's champion... She sure thinks so when she arrives at the Red Keep after her walk of shame but Qyburn is not so blind / stupid not to know that Cersei has gone batshit crazy? Plus the discription of RS: "A greathelm hid his face. From its crest streamed seven silken plumes in the rainbow colors of the Faith. A pair of golden seven-pointed stars clasped his billowing cloak at the shoulders." Sounds to me like he may be more of a champion for the Faith...

Archived