Who is ser Robert Strong gonna face in the trial?

Revan Baratheon

They should import a White Walker to do the job. Maybe that one at the end of HBO episode 20 with the shriek.

Really, I think a new champion will be introduced because no one in Westeros can kill The Mountain and now that he is UnGregor he will be impossible to kill without some sort of sorcery. So I think it will be a religious champion we have yet to meet, maybe a priest or priestess of the Lord of Light.

Or maybe the Tyrells will use their money to contract with a Faceless Man.

Has the possibility of Cersei seizing back power been discussed? She has a knack for capitalising on a crisis and taking advantage. Couldn't she convince Tommen to restore her to power and un-name Mace Tyrell as Hand? This is after all what Varys wanted in killing Kevan. If so, the trial will not take place, and more likely a war between throne and church, resulting in a slaughter of the Sept.

Has the possibility of Cersei seizing back power been discussed? She has a knack for capitalising on a crisis and taking advantage. Couldn't she convince Tommen to restore her to power and un-name Mace Tyrell as Hand? This is after all what Varys wanted in killing Kevan. If so, the trial will not take place, and more likely a war between throne and church, resulting in a slaughter of the Sept.

I thought Cersi was docile now?

I thought Cersi was docile now?

Well, that's how she acts around her uncle. I'm not sure we can be certain of that. Here's our last look into Cersei's mind:

Yes, thought Cersei Lannister. Oh, yes.

That doesn't sound too docile. Then there's this exchange with Kevan:

She nodded. "Uncle, may I ask you a question?"

"Whatever you wish."

"Your wife . . . do you mean to bring her to court?"

"No." Dorna was a gentle soul, never comfortable but at home with friends and kin around her. She had done well by their children, dreamed of having grandchildren, prayed seven times a day, loved needlework and flowers. In King's Landing she would be as happy as one of Tommen's kittens in a pit of vipers. "My lady wife mislikes travel. Lannisport is her place."

"It is a wise woman who knows her place."

He did not like the sound of that. "Say what you mean."

"I thought I did." Cersei held out her cup.

Something's going on there. Cersei's playing the role of the dutiful penitent, but I don't think she's really changed her stripes. And Kevan's murder isn't going to help things.

I could see Maggie playing the game and some how getting Maester Q. on their side and have Strong chosen for Maggie's champion . .. that would be awesome . . but who knows . . "Winds of Winter" may not even make it to the stands . .. .

I could see Maggie playing the game and some how getting Maester Q. on their side and have Strong chosen for Maggie's champion . .. that would be awesome . . but who knows . . "Winds of Winter" may not even make it to the stands . .. .

Margaery is choosing a proper trial, not a trial by combat.

I agree that Sandor could possibly represent the faith in the trial. And if he wins, which would result in Cersei's execution, he would fufill the prophecy as the little brother (valonqar) to Gregor.

Though i'm not sure how he'll get from the Quiet Isle to Kings Landing so fast..

I agree that Sandor could possibly represent the faith in the trial. And if he wins, which would result in Cersei's execution, he would fufill the prophecy as the little brother (valonqar) to Gregor.

Though i'm not sure how he'll get from the Quiet Isle to Kings Landing so fast..

Except Sandor's got a lame leg....how would he fight? I dunno, maybe it got better?

ooh thats a nice idea.

I was sure Cersei would win just because she need's to be killed by her Valonqar....but if it's referring to Sandor/Gregor...then maybe not...

Cersei's reliance on unGregor is actually a decent point in favor of Sandor being the valonqar. Even if he never fights unGregor, Sandor being a younger brother would have the second most relevance to the Lannister situation; only Jaime would have more (that is, if one considers Tyrion is unlikely to be the valonqar). There are several characters that technically are "valonqars" and stand some chance of killing Cersei but now the Hound is one whose status as a valonqar is one of the more connected to Cersei-Qyburn's activities. Sandor becoming a monk and potentially assisting the Faith Militant further increases the odds of him being Cersei's killer (either directly or indirectly).

If Sandor ends up fighting his brother's reanimated corpse, I suspect it will be after the trial, although it is in the realm of possibility that he could somehow become a resort of the HS. His leg would have to recover if he is to fight effectively, though. Strangling Cersei, however, would not necessarily require addressing the limp.

I stand by Loras Tyrell championing the Faith. The glove fits perfectly: it's been hinted repeatedly that there's much more (or much less) to his "injuries" than meets the eye, he'll want revenge on Cersei for quite blatantly bringing false charges against his sister (whom he'll have access to speak with, since Tarly has her under protection), he dislikes Cersei regardless, he's one of the finest knights in the realm (thus one of the few capable of going up against Gregor), and he and Gregor Clegane have some unfinished business from GoT. Where, if you'll recall, Loras won their little conflict thanks to underhanded trickery... though was saved from death himself by Sandor showing up to bring down his brother.

Maybe that's some foreshadowing in itself. ^_^ Although, explaining why he fought to condemn Queen Cersei to death to Lord Commander Jaime might be a bit awkward...

I don't expect a duel with Strong and whomever to be completed.

I suspect that something is going to go wrong with Qyburn's magic, or Strong is going to be revealed during the fight to not have a head, or something. Perhaps he'll actually start losing, an arm will pop off, and there will be no blood, etc. I think that the "duel" is going to end up in some horrible, gigantic clusterfuck.

This may be a stretch, but it's a possibility that Jaime is forced to prove to Stoneheart his worth by fighting Cersei's champion. After all, what good would all that training with Ser Ilyn be if he can't put it to practice? Plus, Jaime and Cersei clearly have had a falling out. The only obstacle in the way of this, in my opinion, is the time it would take for Brienne and Jaime to get back to King's Landing after they wrap up whatever they'll be up to in TWoW with the BwB, especially considering it seems Cersei's trial will be happening early on in the next book.

Likely, Lancel seems the easy choice, however. I just don't see Cersei losing her trial or being executed and Lancel would be the best choice to make sure Cersei lives on, because the odds of Lancel defeating RS seem pretty slim.

Well I hope those who say Osney Kettleblack are right (and I think they are), because I need Lancel somewhere else later for one of my ideas. If he faces Robert Strong he'll just be dead (although that is becoming less of a hindrance these days).

not a Garlan Tyrell fanboy at all Garlan Tyrell go go go? ;__;

'Cause we've not seen him do much fighting other than showing up in the Battle of Blackwater Bay and training against multiple dudes. It'd be great to see him go toe-to-toe with Ungregor Clegane.

Strong would cuts through Obara too easily. If we assume it is Gregor then only a few men in the realm stand a chance. The Hound (sober) would win but he may not be the same man, Jaime is a hand short of standing a chance and Barristan is a world away and old. On the surface there is no one, so it will be interesting who steps up.

Loras has beaten him before (at least at jousting), but who knows what sort of physical state he's going to be in. I'd propose not a good one. I personally think Robert Strong is going to win regardless of who he faces. I mean, size and strength aside, how do you kill someone who has no head?

Archived