Who is ser Robert Strong gonna face in the trial?

Revan Baratheon

In some previous trials by combat, size and strength were defeated by mobility and speed. The trick was to get the big man down on the ground. It would seem that Obara with her whip might be able to do this. However, I don't know that a poison spear would be enough to finish him off a second time. Perhaps a pot of pig-shit could roast him in his armor?

Respectfully submitted,

Steve

In some previous trials by combat, size and strength were defeated by mobility and speed. The trick was to get the big man down on the ground. It would seem that Obara with her whip might be able to do this. However, I don't know that a poison spear would be enough to finish him off a second time. Perhaps a pot of pig-shit could roast him in his armor?

Indeed, mobility and speed, but if the opponent won't die at all then it's only a matter of time before a mistake is made (as Oberyn found). And the dead don't tire...

---

Women of cunning

An excellent thought. What of women? The gender roles engrained in Andal custom of Westeros... how deeply rooted are they in the literal tenets of the Faith of the Seven. Is it even possible that the High Sparrow could accept the idea of a woman fighting in the trial by combat??

If the High Sparrow has put 2 and 2 together he (maybe even the sharper members of the Warrior's Sons) will realize that mere sword and skill will not be enough to slay Ser Robert Strong (just on account of his armour, let alone his unnatural constitution!). If he acknowledges this then he must look further afield towards more unconventional methods and champions. Tyene the Sand Snake is heading to King's Landing to infiltrate the Faith and will no doubt hide her treacherous streak and her deep knowledge of poisons. (Obara is unlikely to make it to Kings Landing in time for the trail - "Hunting" Darkstar will not be easy or quick). Perhaps one of cunning and dirty tricks is better suited to win the Trial by Combat, if only on a technicality. But then again, even if Tyene leverages or reveals her darker skills... I'm not sure its in her nature to be so reckless. She's Oberyn's daughter but perhaps with a little more subtlety and consideration...

Is this even an outside possibility?

• 4 months later...

I am surprised that there are so many different opinions on the challenger. I think it is pretty obvious that Sandor will emerge as the champion of the Faith. It has been heavily hinted in AFFC that he is still alive (gravedigger) and with the restoration of the Faith Militant it would make perfect sense. Not to mention, we've been waiting for the conclusion of this epic duel after the preview in AGOT.

• 7 months later...

Hurray, my first post in this awesome forum....

Cersei is accused of killing robert, icest, killing the high septon, etc.... and that's what she will go on the trial for.

Her champion: without a doubt is Ser Robert Strong, or (ungregor)... The opponents, hmm...

it is a trial by the fate, So from what I read so far, here are the possibilities

Sandor: Yes as sweet as it will be, he is disabled and has a lame leg... No chance of killing Gregor. Plus, he is still digging graves (If truly the gravedigger was him indeed)

Brienne: Not of the fate, and No, she is obviously a captive of Stoneheart and couldn't care less about the bitch queens fighting over Tommen, her story is quite different from all the political mess in KL.

Tyrells: Never... Cersei getting accused will mean Marg is no longer a queen... As Kevan told Lord Puff Fish in the epilogue.

Lancel: He is our guy... Sad, I kind of liked the guy, but Ser Robert will split him in half...

Cersei is not finished yet... Sadly... With Kevan's death, she will resume the regency somehow... There is no one else related to Tommen who could do that (unless the council offer it to Jaime, but that's a whole other story).

I think the whole point of killing Kevan was to give cersei a path back to power. Which is precisely what Varys wanted since Cersei was doing him and his cheesemonger a lot of good by keeping and fanning the enmity between tyrells and lannisters, while they give their "Dragon" more time in the Stormlands.

Ok so we know,circa ADWD that ser Robert will be cersie's champion and will defend her "honour" in a trial by champion single combat battle.Anyway cersie's pretty smug about winning..

The question is:against whom? All the good fighters are either wounded/dead/dissapeared/too far so whom will he fight? Suggesting Sandor is positively ludicrous as he is no longer the "hound" he has been spiritually healed blah blah..the main fact is that Sandor has a limp now and is less ferocious a fighter now,so Sandor is out,who then???

As the mountain told to the prince Oberyn Martell, "some dead man"

As this combat has been prepared quite meticulously, the opponent should rather be someone we as readers are emotionally attached to. Nobody cares whether Lancel lives or dies, same with the Kettleblacks. Obara Sand would just be a rehash of the fight Gregor-Oberyn and somewhat uncreative for Martin. Brienne has absolutely no stakes against Cersei and Sandor's narrative is concluded, we don't need him die or retire a second time. Also, this kind of set-up just has to backfire somehow as nobody wants to see Cersei's role at court strengthened again after she has already been dismantled so far. Let's face it: Her time is up, she has to go.

Martin always held up to Faulkner's slogan: The struggle of the human heart is the only thing worth writing about.

My guess would be Jaime, as that would be the most emotional conflict setup: To Jaime, as he finally has to speak out against his sister; to Cersei, as she does not want to see Jaime dead but does not want to lose the trial either; to Tommen and to anyone else too. Maybe Cersei somehow even interferes herself with the fight when she sees Jaime losing or dying. I can even see them both dying in the process and think that would be an emotionally satisfying conclusion of both storylines and it would go well with the Valonqar-prophecy. Though I think Jaime is still needed for some conflict-resolution with Brienne and Lady Stoneheart.

While we're at it: My personal favorite as a contestant would be Thoros of Myr, who hopefully will have some role to play in the next books; but alas, this does not seem very likely from a narrative point of view as he's an adherent of the "wrong" religion and busy with other things. I would find it highly interesting if Lady Stoneheard would show up in Kings Landing with her entourage, as her narrative still requires some more revenge of her own, though I don't assume that's what's going to happen.

The only thing I'm sure of is Ser Robert will win. If I have learned anything from reading these books it's that GRRM doesn't give us what we want and is not a fan of happy endings. And it looks like we unanimously want Cersei to fry and will be rooting for The Faiths champion no matter who it is.

My guess is that it will be Lancel and he will get crushed.

My hope is it will be Sandor and the little brother will (perhaps without knowing Ser Roberts true identity) kill his older brother and Cersei's champion leading to her death fulfilling the Valonquer. The more I think about it the less since it makes. Isn't The Hound being blamed by pretty much everyone for Saltpans? And isn't he wanted as an oathbreaker for abandoning the king as a member of The Kingsguard?

What about theodan wells? Theodan the true!!!. He is deeply religious. he was the first knight to plege him self to the warrior's sons and is currently in KL. Plus IMO the high Sparrow seems like the type of person who wants to move the power of the church up. What better way to do that than to have the leader of your church militia win a high profile trial by combat against a member of the King's Guard against the queen regent.

Bonifer Hasty, or one of his Holy Hundred, is another candidate I would think. Maybe the most pious knight we have seen in the whole series. Not more than a few days ride from KL either.

We might be looking at this scenario the wrong way though. Maybe the faith sends forth a more magical champion to combat the man that is clearly born from black magic? Maybe the High Septon himself champions the faith wielding a holy artifact or something of that nature.

Well, Oberyn was a freaking JUDGE at the trial of Tyrion, which is kind of a conflict of interest (I think), but maybe it does have to be a member of the Faith. I hope GRRM makes it more interesting than "SMASH. Then Cersei won."

OT: At first I had to do a doublt take at your post, bc I read "FM" as "Faceless Man" instead of "Faith Militant." Oops. Too many acronyms!

The whole trial was a conflict of Interest, Tywin hates Tyrion and Mace already made up his mind

Sandor Clegane in order to allow him to redeem himself for Sansa

While I do think that, if he's still indeed alive, Sandor will face off against UnGregor at some point, I don't think it will be at the beginning of the sixth book. Martin has spent chapters over two books building up both UnGregor and Cercei's inevitable trial by combat. I just don't see any way he loses his first fight. In fact, I'd wager that anyone expecting an epic confrontation like the duel between the Viper and the Mountain is going to be disappointed. I think this is going to be more of a massacre than a fight.

Archived