Is The Blackfish gay?

jarl the climber

i personally suspect that Blackfish is like a RL friend of mine. Definately hetero, probably ran around a lot in his younger days, buty simply has no interest in sharing his life with someone, and as stated, is rebellious enough to fight back when attempts are made to get him married. (Well, my friend is not the last part as no one has ever tried to get hi mmarried, but you get what I mean). He may bvery wellbe jsut a selfish person who chooses to concentrate on himself.

I also think Martin just threw that in for contrersy, within the story i mean. Far more interesting to have a character say "What? Yo uexpect me to get married to fix YOUR mistake?" then to have him say "Certainly Robb, of course I will"

Is he gay? No he seems a rather frosty and perpetually disgruntled fellow. Not gay at all.

Is he homosexual? Probably IMO.

Actually from what Catelyn said her,Lysa and Petyr would often goto him for advice and counsel when they had a problem instead of her Father.I think the theory of having lost his true love early in life sounds more likely

I doubt he's gay. Some posters may say that it's a cliche to argue that he refused to get married because he's too much of a wild-living ladies man, but if you think about it from an unbiased perspective, it's actually just as much of a cliche to say that he refused to get married because he's gay and proud.

The simplest answer is that he's probably just a rebellious younger brother who chafed at the idea of his big brother ordering him to marry a woman he hardly knew. People in medieval-like times grew up used to the idea of arranged marriages, true, so they'd be more used to it than us, but that doesn't guarantee that everyone would like it.

And maybe he did have a pre-marital bed-mate on the down-low, or maybe he's a virgin and just lives for battle. Like I said, I doubt he's gay. That seems like too much of a cookie-cutter "inside-the-box" explanation for me. I like the idea more that maybe he did love Minisa, because I got that impression as well from that quote to Catelyn. I also like the idea that he simply wants to live in the moment and not feel like he's tied down. He's an excellent soldier and commander, but those don't necessarily have to go hand in hand with starting a family or being the head of a House.

Although, to be unbiased, and argue the other side, there is one scene where it occurred to me that he might be gay, but that was only after my ACOK re-read, and after my ADWD first read, and I noticed a tiny, tiny, tiny similarity between the BF and Jon Connington. In ADWD, Connington gazes out over his lands and reminisces about Rhaegar. In ACOK, when the BF and Cat are discussing the new Lannister host being formed up in Lannisport under the leadership of Ser Stafford, the BF gazes out over the rivers outside Hoster's solar. This reminded me of the scene where it becomes 99% clear that Connington is gay (or at least was attracted to Rhaegar). However, this passed almost immediately, as I only noticed it in relation to the Connington scene, and because Ser Stafford would likely be an unlikely candidate for a Tully (bad history). Still, I thought I'd mention it.

So, while there are indications, they fall short when compared to those made about Loras/Renly, Connington, Lyn Corbray, etc... I think he's a bachelor, but not a "confirmed bachelor". :P

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you people automatically make links from "not wanting to be married" to "gay".

For me it's just that the Blackfish wants to remain totally free and wild, who tells you he doesnt go to some whores from time to time or had mistresses ?

He's a lord! He doesn't need to stay single to do those things in this society. Male infidelity isn't even grounds for divorce in this world. Having heirs is a very important lordly duty, as it can prevent wars and enables families to resolve property disputes through marriage.

He's a lord! He doesn't need to stay single to do those things in this society. Male infidelity isn't even grounds for divorce in this world. Having heirs is a very important lordly duty, as it can prevent wars and enables families to resolve property disputes through marriage.

No, he's not. He's brother to a Lord and inherits nothing for his own to necessarily pass on to his heirs, other than what he is given (for that purpose basically). His brother has an heir, so he's not even the backup.

No, he's not. He's brother to a Lord and inherits nothing for his own to necessarily pass on to his heirs, other than what he is given (for that purpose basically). His brother has an heir, so he's not even the backup.

This was what I was thinking. He dosen't have to be married because he will not inherit and has nothing to pass on to his children if he does. Do the second, third, etc. sons in the story have to marry? Ned was not betrothed right, so is it more common I can't remember, I'm sure Ned might have married some one besides Cat if Brandon lived, but he might have had more options. The Blackfish had the perfect job for himself. Gaurding the gates gave him some freedom with no lord hovering over him, the Erie being so far and Jon Arryn being in King's Landing the whole time. BF didn't need to be at Riverrun or Winterfell because that was all covered. I think he wanted to enjoy his freedom and he didn't have to have twenty bastards to prove that he is straight. No one questions if Barriston is gay, who found honorable employment, and he could of had bastsards and dosen't. So no I do not think he is gay. You can be a decent guy and still be straight.

The Blackfish is easily my favorite secondary character in the series, so feel the need to chime in.

I don't think he's gay, and I don't think he was in love with his brother's wife and couldn't be with her (there are plentiful examples of both sorts of character all over ASOIAF). Why? For all the other characters in the series who fall into these categories there is no shortage of rumors about said love/sex lives. We never hear a peep about Blackfish. Why? Because there probably wasn't any. For GRRM a lack of hints is usuallly a hint itself.

The main reason the guys is a fan favorite is that he just doesn't give a frack. He refused to be pulled into his equally stubborn brother's political games, and likely does not want to be tied down or married. Maybe there was some lost love in his youth (Sir Bryden's type honestly seems more like some sharp but tragic village girl and not a high lady) but I don't think being in a relationship has ever been a priority for him. He lives his life his way, and we love him for it.

The simplest answer is that he's probably just a rebellious younger brother who chafed at the idea of his big brother ordering him to marry a woman he hardly knew. People in medieval-like times grew up used to the idea of arranged marriages, true, so they'd be more used to it than us, but that doesn't guarantee that everyone would like it.

Agree. i always got the vibe from brynden that he was just being rebellious. He wasnt going to do something because it was expected of him, he was going to do something because he wanted to do it.

Yes, the Blackfish is gay....

with Ser Barristan Selmy.

Shut up, it's true. The soapy backstory we get about Selmy's painfully generic unrequited "love" for the underage (doesn't "young maiden"= between 12 and 16?) Ashara Dayne does not exclude the possibility of a Blackfish/ Selmy wartime love hookup.

Just turn through Selmy's chapters in ADWD, replacing "young maiden" with "Young man" and "Ashara Dayne" with "Bryndyn Tully. And true love WILL find a way. :thumbsup:

Yes, the Blackfish is gay....

with Ser Barristan Selmy.

Shut up, it's true. The soapy backstory we get about Selmy's painfully generic unrequited "love" for the underage (doesn't "young maiden"= between 12 and 16?) Ashara Dayne does not exclude the possibility of a Blackfish/ Selmy wartime love hookup.

Just turn through Selmy's chapters in ADWD, replacing "young maiden" with "Young man" and "Ashara Dayne" with "Bryndyn Tully. And true love WILL find a way. :thumbsup:

Isn't the blackfish older than baristan? now.. Tywin Lannister and the blackfish... that'd be interesting

Isn't the blackfish older than baristan?

Barristan is the original cougar. He taught the Blackfish all a young man must know of swords and swordfighting, if you catch my drift. :fencing: :spank: :stunned:

now.. Tywin Lannister and the blackfish... that'd be interesting

I like the way you think..... :devil:

• 8 months later...

Why do you people automatically make links from "not wanting to be married" to "gay".

For me it's just that the Blackfish wants to remain totally free and wild, who tells you he doesnt go to some whores from time to time or had mistresses ?

That would make Jon Snow gay

I always assumed he was asexual. I mean he's getting on in years and he's never married or been noted as having a lover or bastard children. And on the other side no one makes any kind of suggestion that he sways towards men as they do with Corbray, Oberyn, Renly and Loras.

I missed this before and I love it! I would be so thrilled if the Blackfish was asexual :D and I have wondered why Martin has not introduced an asexual character and now maybe he already has! Martin has covered just about everything else so I hope he didn't miss this! Really I've already wondered who could be asexual and this fits perfectly!

Archived