Is The Blackfish gay?

jarl the climber

Crackpot theory:

The Minisa idea is correct - that is who he wanted. And Tansy (Tansy from that Riverlands inn) is the one Hoster really wanted.

However, Hoster was the elder son and was expected to make the political marriage, and putting duty / politics first, he did. He married Minisa, and Brynden had to just sulk the rest of his life, especially once Minisa is dead.

Perhaps this marrying took place while Brynden was off fighting in the War of 9PK, and under political pressure, Hoster married (stole) the girl he knew his brother wanted.

I missed this before and I love it! I would be so thrilled if the Blackfish was asexual and I have wondered why Martin has not introduced an asexual character and now maybe he already has!

Ever considered that Arya might be the actual first one ?

I doubt it even as I say it, but she seems quite determined to lay all the love-and-family stuff aside.

I doubt it even as I say it, but she seems quite determined to lay all the love-and-family stuff aside.

Oh yes I have had my hopes with Arya but, like you, I have my doubts with her. I can't remember who all I have considered but Arya was one of them.

Since it looks like it has no plot relevance we aren't likely to find out. In the reference frame of the stories there seems to be no stigma to homosexuality, just a little locker room humor about Loras and Renly. Other than Corbray the gay characters are positive types.

Hey, now that Hoster's not around to arrange an uacceptable (to Brynden) political match or oppose what Brynden wants maybe he'll actually get married. After the war is won, of course. He might even become Lord of Riverrun if Edmure dies and his child is a girl. After RW II gets rid of the resident Freys.

Ever considered that Arya might be the actual first [asexual]?

Some argue that Stannis is asexual, as well. (Just throwing it out there.)

Arya's arc is refreshingly free of sexual overtones, praise R'hllor, and she has no interest in boys (and/or girls) at present, but that isn't to say that she couldn't develop an interest in boys (and/or girls). She is only 11 years old, after all. (Sansa seems pretty straight, what with her fantasies about Loras and her sexual interest in the Hound, but I always thought it would be the best trolling of fandom ever if, after all this speculation about Sansa's marriage prospects and the frequent assertions that Arya is either asexual or a lesbian, Sansa turned out to be a lesbian and Arya turned out to be straight.)

You can still be asexual and value human connections and love people; you just don't want to have sex with anyone.

Topic: It's a good point that we hear no mention of Brynden's love life. With straight bachelor characters (Bonifer Hasty, Barristan Selmy, etc.), we learn all about their lost loves (Rhaella, Ashara, etc.), or we learn about their lovers and children (Oberyn Martell). With gay characters, GRRM hints subtly at their sexuality (...maybe too subtly, since Loras/Renly and JonCon's love for Rhaegar seem to have flown over the heads of several readers), or has other characters state their preferences straight out (Littlefinger talking about Lyn Corbray's taste for boys). The lack of any whispers or mentions for Brynden seems to suggest that neither is the case for him; he's not pining for a woman lost to him, he doesn't have anything on the go at present, he has no bastards that we know of, and there are no rumours (in Westeros, at least) as to his preferences. That seems to add up to me to a whole lot of nothing: he doesn't seem to have any love life that we know of, or are likely to learn about. Really, though, who cares? Gay, straight, asexual...Brynden Tully is awesome, end of story. The mystery of his sexual preference is, to me at least, the least interesting thing about him.

Think about Arya's age, you can't really judge her sexuality....

Personally, I like the idea of him being asexual, why not? Not everything revolves around reproduction...

Aye, but in a way everything does revolve around reproduction, as we would be extinct without it.

Can you really tell children's sexuality at her age (9-11)?

As for the Blackfish, perhaps Westeros as a "don't ask don't tell" policy?

Doesn't mean to say he's gay. In the books it was hinted that Loras and Renly were intimate (this was done in your face style on the show). There's no hint of anything much in the books about the Blackfish.

But I suppose it's natural to assume the Blackfish must be gay as he hasn't married yet, I suppose people think that of men in real life as well. ;)

• 1 month later...

Not everyone wants kids or a relationship. That was true in the middle ages as well, being the second son gave him the power to do so, even though his brother wanted him to marry. He might be gay as well, but surely Cat would comment on that in her POV explaining him as a bachelor.

My problem with this is I am single, 37, decent looking with a decent job and am not an asshole, never been to jail or anything like that, don't drink smoke or do drugs. I am not married, nor do I ever want to be. I don't date more than maybe every 5 years to remind myself why I like being single so much.

My Dad assumes I am gay. He doesn't come right out and say it, but my Step Mom and him make comments about how they would accept a gay child around me way too much for it to be a coincidence, and there was an explicit statement once when I did bring a girlfriend over there that they had started thinking I might be gay. If TV shows are accurate I will probably be a suspect as a serial killer at some point because I am quiet and seem nice to all my neighbours lol

I don't care, I am not offended by it because sexuality is not something I care about, however, I am most definitely not gay. I adore the female form and have never been remotely attracted to boy or man or anything other than a pleasant looking female. Nevertheless, people assume you are gay, weird or some sort of deviant if there is clearly nothing wrong with you but you are single.

Whatever. That might be the case with the Blackfish, being single and wishing to remain so does not mean you are gay, not that there is anything wrong with that lol

Let's see, the Blackfish has been surrounded by instability his whole life, he has no great lands or anything and maybe he doesn't want to raise any baby fish in the world he lives in. I might get together with a woman when I am of appropriate age to go out with ones that definitely can't have kids anymore, who knows, I like playing computer games and total quiet and reading too much to really give a shit.

ACOK -Catelyn I

"Sometimes he (Hoster) does not now what season it is, or who I am. Once he called me by my Mother's name."

"He misses her still," Ser Brynden answered. "You have her face. I can see it in your cheekbones, and your jaw..."

Just noticed this line on a reread. The Blackfish seems to remember Cat's mother pretty vividly. And the way he trails off like that after making the comparison...I got the sense that he misses her too.

I'm definitely in support of the theory that he never married because he loved his brother's wife now.

• 1 month later...

I never thought he might be gay, I assumed part of his whole "strong individualism" thing was not wanting to be tied down. If Martin had written him to be gay, I think one of the other characters would have put about some innuendo, esepeically considering how homophobic Westeros is (at least outside of Dorne). Pinkfish or something.

I think the Minisa love triangle thing is possible.

I could see this being similar to a Selmy-Ashara sort of thing.

The man stuck to his guns and didn't let his brother marry him off. Look at Cat. Ok, Brandon dies, let's go with Ned. And Lysa to Jon Arryn...after her baby was aborted and LF was sent away.

Brynden maybe just threw himself into his military work. He wasn't going to sulk and grow bitter like Lysa did.

And I think the Blackfish loves his family and was too mature, noble, and honorable, to ever tell the Tully kids, "Hey, I loved your mom, but she married Hoster."

They weren't told, and so the readers aren't privy either.

If that was the case.

My bets. We find out more about him in later books. Maybe not much, but.

Why do you people automatically make links from "not wanting to be married" to "gay".

For me it's just that the Blackfish wants to remain totally free and wild, who tells you he doesnt go to some whores from time to time or had mistresses ?

Love this thought. Don't care if he's gay or not. But I don't think he is. I do believe he had an unrequited love (see above posts by others) and decided if I can't have her, I will not be forced into a marriage. And he may indeed have an older woman as a lover with no need to worry about pregnancy. (there's always tansy tea as Plan B.)

I suppose that this is one of those things that can come down either way.

I like the idea that he's gay (or indeed asexual) and that he's comfortable enough with it to make a stand, given the setting and personally, I'm more inclined towards this theory than any other because of Catelyn's line "He has not wed. You know that, Father. Nor will he ever.".(emphasis mine) Firstly, because if he does have an interest in women then it seems a bit presumptuous of Catelyn to completely rule out any future relationships for him. Secondly, because if it's Minisa it seems weird for Catelyn to even know about it, let alone be so down with the uncle-mother-father love triangle.

Of course it could just as easily be him pining for an offscreen lost love, it doesn't alter the plot at all really, but it is great fun to speculate.

Archived