Alleras the sandsnake - Complete analysis

• 3 months later...

When talking about Sarella's function in the story I think a huge part of it is going to deal with Sam and teaching him how to shoot a bow. Jon wanted every one at the NW to perfect it because he believed it was something that men were forgetting to do and Sam promises him he will continue to work on it in Oldtown, and who better to teach him then a master archer?

I also think this will lead Sam to tell Sarella about The Others and help her find/accomplish whatever she is there for.

Crackpot Theory: Sarella and Sam find the dragon book Tyrion was talking about, learn about every kind of dragon (fire,ice,stone, whatever else), weaknesses, how to train them, etc. Then they join the battle and slay The Others ice dragon as they march south with two arrows though both eyes. Go Samwell! [emoji33]

Simpler Theory: Sam's new found archery skills make a huge impact in the story by killing a main character while saving another.

• 3 months later...

Excellent OP. Have you had a chance to read the encyclopedia? I'd be curious for an update to your theory in light of some of the new facts about Old Town and the Citadel, the maesters and the death of dragons.

I think it plausible that the arrival of the comet was the event that convinced Sarella to go to Old Town with Oberyn's blessing. The Martels know of the prophecy and would have seen the comet as the sign of the time of the prophecy. Perhaps Sarella is simply trying to discover all she can about the prophecy and dragons. If Marwyn was unaware of her true identity, she most likely was revealed after hearing news of her fathers death.

The connection of Sarella and Sam has great potential. Dorne "knows" of Ned Stark's arrival at Starfall with infant Jon (as evidenced by the milk brother). Would Sarella know this? Is it possible that Sarella/Sam discussion will partially reveal Jon's parentage?

I agree that the Maesters are trying to rid the world of magic (you'd think Varys would be more aligned with them too) and in some ways they are aligned with the House of Black and White which is anti-Targ/dragon. Will Sam/Sarella be enough to foil Jaqen H'ghar's plans?

Have you noticed how many weirwood trees there are in the south even though they were all supposed to be chopped down? Almost every Brienne chapter has a new hearttree. And now there is a massive hearttree in the raven tower at the citadel, which Sam will almost certainly be spending a lot of time in as he'll find the raven's comforting and the heart tree too.

What's Sam going to do when he finds out Jon has been "killed"? Will that be the conversation with Sarella that reveals Jon's parentage?

I think it likely that the "how to kill a dragon" book will talk about what the Maester of Kings Landing did to stunt and wither the last dragon the Targaryan's hatched during Aegon III's reign. Even it's skull was deformed.

Dorne is definitely a realm of secrets but it's very possible that Aegon the Conqueror's sister survived the death of her dragon (which the Dornish killed with a bolt through the eye) and possibly that is the message in the secret letter that was delivered to Aegon which caused him to end is invasion of Dorne: we have you sister priosoner. Did she live out her days in Dorne? Did she bear children? Did she make any prophecy? Dorne has carefully guarded knowledge and Sarella is first and foremost seeking knowledge. She didn't know that the dragons hatched until Sam arrived and she certainly doesn't know of Quentyn's mission or demise.

My personal hopeful forthcoming Citadel moment: Sam get's raven informing him to cast his vote for new commander, He's in shock and speaks of Jon to Alleras, who informs him of Ned Stark's arrival at starfall with infant Jon. Sam pray/grieves at the weirwood tree. Bran/tree speaks to Sam explaining Jon is not "dead". Sam shares information about Jon's birth with Bran. He casts his vote via raven for Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

Doran described what Sarella was doing as a 'game'. I think it is easily plausible that she is there simply because she wants too as she is naturally curious and has no problem trying to push boundaries.

Whether she found herself under Marwyn specifically or by chance is something unknown, but it does add another dynamic to the characters around Sam.

Doran described what Sarella was doing as a 'game'. I think it is easily plausible that she is there simply because she wants too as she is naturally curious and has no problem trying to push boundaries.

Whether she found herself under Marwyn specifically or by chance is something unknown, but it does add another dynamic to the characters around Sam.

I agree that it's likelier that Sarella simply went there because she wanted to, not because she was sent on a specific mission by Doran.

Archived