Knight of the Laughing Tree

Anvik

@whoever: they dont even wear plate armor in dorne.

You seriously think there are people crazy enough to joust without armor ??? It is one thing for regular troops not to use armor because of the heat. It is another not to use it when absolutely necessary for one's safety for short periods of time.

arya hasnt killed anyone in such a way that a mans strength would be required.

I say ned because it was obviously a stark and ben was kid while brandon was already competing.

If it was Ned, then why he didn't wear his own armor? So honoroble man should joust not in such disguised way as the KoLF did. He didn't have motives to hide his personality.

A huge thing is that Ned never told the story. Nor did Old Nan or anyone else. If it were Howland Reed, surely Ned would have brought it up before, as he certainly wasn't shy to reveal that he'd have died at the hands of Arthur Dayne if it weren't for him. He wasn't afraid to talk up Reed, even Robb points that out in ASoS with his "My father knew the worth of Howland Reed" line when sending people into the Neck.

The only times Ned's ever really clammed up about things is in regard to Jon Snow's parentage, and Lyanna. I suppose he might have never mentioned the tournament at Harrenhall because of what eventually happened with Rhaegar and Lyanna, but at the same time, Howland Reed was literally the only detail he provided about what went on at the Tower of Joy besides the casualties. Doesn't seem to make sense that he'd ignore Reed on Harrenhall (assuming he was the knight), but mention him when talking about the Tower of Joy.

As for Ned himself being the knight, I can't say I buy it. The height and size detail is a big one. It really seems to narrow it down to Lyanna or Reed.

Aerys has a dragon dream that KotLT will bring about the ruin of House Targaryen and thus orders Rheagar to find him and bring him to Aerys to charge him with treason.

Thist explains why he went to Harrenhall. Aerys did not leave the Red Keep for a long time, then he suddenly decided to go to Harrenhall.

@Lady G: Your post was useless seeing as how im not arguing whether a woman can kill. Its all about strength and a 14 year old girl has none.

also, is your username high-fiver? im just now bothering to pay attention to it.

Like I said, you are arguing about stature not gender. Be clear about that and you will offend fewer people. Plenty of examples of 14 yo girls who have the physical stature to be dangerous.

Pax, Eggs.

I repeat, Pax. That means peace, where we try not to offend each other B)

You seriously think there are people crazy enough to joust without armor ??? It is one thing for regular troops not to use armor because of the heat. It is another not to use it when absolutely necessary for one's safety for short periods of time.
i wasnt aware that full plate armor was required to joust.

Thist explains why he went to Harrenhall. Aerys did not leave the Red Keep for a long time, then he suddenly decided to go to Harrenhall.

Not really, Aerys has the dream while at Harrenhall. It is implied that he came there because he suspected his son of plotting to overthrow him (which we know Rheagar did) and using the tourney as a convenient event for meeting his co-conspirators ...

so you werent joking, youre just thick. let put it another way: what squires would have had the balls to jump arya or sansa on the ride to KL?

attacking lyanna while her family and the northerners were there to get get revenge would have been monstrously stupid.

Can't really dispute you calling Joffrey monstrously stupid, because he was... but he did try to kill Arya on the Kingsroad, and he also tried to have Bran assassinated inside Winterfell.

Oh, and Cersei one-upped Joffrey by asking Robert for Arya's head.

Sorry to tell you, but the Stark girls weren't even safe during the trek from the North to KL, when Ned was very close. So why would Lyanna be safe from other boys hurting her with her father back in Winterfell?

Can't really dispute you calling Joffrey monstrously stupid, because he was... but he did try to kill Arya on the Kingsroad, and he also tried to have Bran assassinated inside Winterfell. Oh, and Cersei one-upped Joffrey by asking Robert for Arya's head. Sorry to tell you, but the Stark girls weren't even safe during the trek from the North to KL, when Ned was very close. So why would Lyanna be safe from other boys hurting her with her father back in Winterfell?
and now youre comparing the queen and the prince to squires. *sigh*. are my posts really so hard to understand?

Sure you can joust without full plate armor...if you want to end up seriously injured or dead. Even tourney lances have big potential for harm. Their tip is made to shatter on impact with armor to prevent easy embedding in the body of an opponent (unlike war lances where tip is sharpened). However, even this is not sufficient to prevent injuries or even deaths of fully armored knights. There is no way any sane person would joust in a tourney not fully armored (they would likely be prevented from competing anyway) or only in chainmail (which is about as effective as no armor in a joust).

You could probably train jousting with no opponents without armor but even then you are risking injury by flying pieces of a shattered lance.

arya hasnt killed anyone in such a way that a mans strength would be required.

I say ned because it was obviously a stark and ben was kid while brandon was already competing.

So you're dismissing Lyanna because you don't believe a 16-year-old girl can joust (even though we already have loads of examples of young girls doing a lot of kick-ass stuff in the series and Lyanna herself has been called "half a horse") but you believe its Ned even though the KotLT has been described as being short and this pretty much eliminates him as a candidate?

At this point it seems like you're arguing against it being Lyanna coz you just don't want it to be Lyanna. Are you against the R+L=J theory by any chance? Just asking :)

she needs to be able to ride well in plate and withstand the force of the impact.

and now youre comparing the queen and the prince to squires. *sigh*. are my posts really so hard to understand?

Apparently, and also contradictory

Archived