How many people live in Westeros? in each kingdom?

Mark Sawyer

@Prince Davos Martell: Welcome!!!

However, the North has about 62,000 soldiers. Robb needed to move fast so he couldn't get all his men.

The Riverlands have 45,000.

The Westerlands have 50,000.

Dorne has 30,000.

Vale has 50,000.

Reach has 105,000.

Stormlands has 35,000.

Remember, not every soldier went with Tywin, Robb, Renly, etc. They stayed home to guard their lands, they couldn't walk fast enough, or they didn't want to fight.

Welcome to the forums.

Nice to see a new face in those kind of discussions. Though you did use some wrong numbers. Actually, most of the information in this thread is a bit outdated.

The North got about 70,000 soldiers in total

The Vale about 50,000

The Riverlands 40,000-50,000

The Iron Islands 30,000-40,000

The Westerlands about 45,000

The Crownlands unknown, but low

The Stormlands about 30,000

The Reach about 100,000

Dorne about 30,000

And the percentage of soldiers raised averages about 1% of the total population, with some extremes in the North (probably 0.5%), the Reach (probably 1.5-2%) and the Iron Islands (probably 5-8%).

Thanks to you both.

While I agree that total number of soldiers is probably those numbers, I still feel my numbers were correct for the analysis. The reason for this is that, by taking historical battles and comparing them with battles in Westeros, I could get a feel for how large a population in country would need to be, for it to be able to muster that amount of people for a battle. So while the North probably has 62-70k soldiers, it could only munster 20k for the march south. The English probably did not send all of their soldiers to France either, making the historical examples valid for Westeros. Thus, based on the historical data, I know that a comparable society in our history, could muster about 1 soldier per 268 people living in the country. Using this I can make a reasonable guess for the population of the North. Using 62-70k soldiers to estimate the population of the North would probably overestimate the population. But, I may also have underestimated the population of the North, by not accounting for the difficulties in mustering troops from such a large area. So the population of the North should probably be closer to 8-10 million.

The problem is that you can't average the battles across all regions. The Northmen for example had to march 3,000 miles and started later than the Westermen, who basically marched just 300 miles and were the first ones to march out.

Therefore, those two armies in the Riverlands are vastly different compared to the total population of each region.

That's even worse for the Ironborn, who as a naval society as opposed to the agrarian ones, can field several times the percentage of the other regions before the war effort literally starves them.

You could basically say that the Ironborn attack on the Reach had eighty times as many men (as a percentage of the total population) than Robb's march into the Riverlands. That's not comparable at all.

• 8 months later...

Premodern states could be quite heavily militarized. According to Prestwich, Edward I mustered some 100,000 men for his larger scottish campaigns (not all in the same army, of course), which makes up between 1,5 to 2,7 per cent of the total population.

The medieval nordic countries, especially Norway as it was heavily dependent on the naval levy, had even higher percentages - depending on source we're talking 5-7%, although a lot of those troops were on a time limit as they had harvests to see to.

Archived