Rossifuss

Didn't Bran recall the Danny Flint story when he was thinking of the Nightfort? So it must have happened more than 150 years ago.

True. I neglected to remember that fact when I was trying to twist it into my theory.

But Bran also asks Benjen to verify some of the stories he's heard about the Nightfort and Benjen's only answer is that they abandoned it 200 years ago. This seems sort of strange and evasive for Benjen who shared many things about the castles with Bran. Even though the Nightfort had been abandoned around the time we're suggesting Danny Flint was raped and murdered, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that whoever did the raping and murdering carried her off from one of the manned castles to an abandoned one to do the deed. The Nightfort is pretty close to Castle Black. Maybe they were on their way to the Shadow Tower. Or better yet, maybe Danny Flint was caught climbing the wall at the Nightfort.

Just twisting whatever facts I can because I'm not yet ready to abandon this theory. :drunk:

True. I neglected to remember that fact when I was trying to twist it into my theory.

But Bran also asks Benjen to verify some of the stories he's heard about the Nightfort and Benjen's only answer is that they abandoned it 200 years ago. This seems sort of strange and evasive for Benjen who shared many things about the castles with Bran. Even though the Nightfort had been abandoned around the time we're suggesting Danny Flint was raped and murdered, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that whoever did the raping and murdering carried her off from one of the manned castles to an abandoned one to do the deed. The Nightfort is pretty close to Castle Black. Maybe they were on their way to the Shadow Tower. Or better yet, maybe Danny Flint was caught climbing the wall at the Nightfort.

Just twisting whatever facts I can because I'm not yet ready to abandon this theory. :drunk:

Stick to your guns, Bluebonnet!

Hi, I'm Rossifuss and this is my first thread! I'm from Northern Ireland, I've read all the books and my favourite character is Barristan Selmy.

Right. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about Ned's mum, the wife of Rickard Stark? Perhaps my memory is fuzzy but I can't recall too much being said about her throughout the series which seems a bit strange as we hear a great deal about families such as the Targaryans or Martells and their respective histories.

Was she of noble birth? A member of another powerful family? Maybe she was of Flint or Norrey descent.

I've lurked on this forum for months now but couldn't resist joining in! Hope someone can come up with an answer!

As GRRM has stated a few times in recent interviews, he's a gardener, not a world-builder. So it's likely that because he hasn't needed the information, he hasn't made it up yet.

Maybe he will in a future book or for The World of Ice and Fire, but I doubt it.

I haven't read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but Lady Stark may have died giving birth to Benjen or when he was very young. My only support for this theory is that in Bran's flashback when he saw Lyanna and Benjen playing at swords in the godswood, it was their father who they feared Old Nan would go and tell what they were doing. No mention of their mother which indicates that she was not in the picture, or at the very least was ill/bedridden and not in a position to look after them. And Lyanna and Benjen were both very young at this point, both aged between 6 and 10 if I had to guess (though that may be wrong), so if she is dead at this point, they were obviously very young when it happened.

Didn't Bran recall the Danny Flint story when he was thinking of the Nightfort? So it must have happened more than 150 years ago.

Plus, the timelines in the ASOIAF are skewed, especially tales/stories/songs from the North. Old Nan is so old she gets all of the Brandon's she has nursed confused, there is even speculation about how old the wall actually is. It is a crackpot theory I know and may not even be a relevant one. But the timeline's in the book are (deliberately?) confusing.

Maybe Eddard's mum won't be revealed as something dark and twisted at all. It could just be something that isn't relevant to the story at all. I just can't put my finger on why GRRM creates this sense of drama and mystery that has me pouring over the books and every nook and cranny I can find. But he has managed. I'm hooked :drunk:

Archived