Everything you need to know about Chicago for WorldCon...[NOW COMPLETE]

For something to do Downtown, I gotta recommend Tastebud Tours for a chance to sample a lot of differnet aspects of what Chicago is famous for...It's a walking tour, but it isn't terrible. Mrs. Jax walked it with me while eight months pregnant and at least one of the tours takes you through Pizano's, which really is the best deep dish in Chicago... :P

Thanks Mouse, I'll be sure to edit in that information when I update the transportation section.

Jaxom, I'll include that tour when I post the sightseeing section.

One thing I do not understand about GRRM is that he dislikes deep dish pizza. I mean, come on...?

Scot, I don't understand the dislike either. I mean deep dish is not my favorite pizza. I grew up in NYC and nothing beats John's on Bleecker Street for me so that will always be my first choice. But I'm never going to say no to most combinations of cheese, dough, and sauce.

Anyway it is my intention to edit in and add things to see and do in Chicago later this week...

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I remember from the 2000 Worldcon, the guidebook gave the following (only-slightly paraphrased) info on taking the el. "Do not get out on the numbered streets. You could die." While that part of town probably isn't the safest place to be, I'm thinking something a little less dramatic this time 'round, maybe?

I was thinking of trying to catch a game. Just looking at their website, it seems tickets go on sale in a few days (7 March), I know it's early planning but I know I'll be there on Mon 27 August and there's home games against Milwaukee Brewers on 27, 28, 29 & 30 (prob 28/29 would be best). Anyone else interested if I try and book tix?? Can't seem to see prices, but tix for away games cost between $10-$55, I don't know if that's indicative of Wrigley Field. Suggestions on best place to sit?? Also, as I really know nothing about the sport, why do they play against the same team 3 or 4 days in a row? Is it all one long game, and it's better to go the last day?

Update: it looks like those dates are classed as Silver games and cost $12-$74 ($13.50-$83.00 for those who like to know what it really costs ;p) depending on where you sit.

Also, as I really know nothing about the sport, why do they play against the same team 3 or 4 days in a row? Is it all one long game, and it's better to go the last day?

Each day is a complete, individual game. So you can go any day and it will be the same experience.

They play 3-4 games in a row in the same location because it makes it easier to handle the travel required to complete a 162 game season.

Suggestions on best place to sit?? Also, as I really know nothing about the sport, why do they play against the same team 3 or 4 days in a row? Is it all one long game, and it's better to go the last day?

I never go to Cubs games, only White Sox games so I can't speak from experience about their ballpark. I can say just based on generic ballpark principles and looking at their stadium layout, the Club Box 1F section would be most desirable as it is right by Home Plate followed by the Field Box 1F section, and then you move up and out from there. Basically the further up and out you move to the sides, the less you will see. That being said, the Bleachers are the most desirable place to sit if you are in your early 20s and are drunk....or at least that is their reputation...lol. But I suspect you won't have much choice with seats as most will have already been sold to season ticket holders before they go on sale to the general public next week. And really in the end it won't matter where you sit as half of what is fun about going to a ballgame is sitting and eating and drinking and taking in the atmosphere around you.

thanks for all the info lady n :) lots to do in chicago its going to be hard to choose..!

i guess from your description of the loop there would be plenty of places to grab breakfast around the hyatt.

Any ideas how much some take away toast and a cup of tea or coffee would cost? Or, someone like something like eggs on toast, muslie, or a full brekkie?

There is a "175 Things to Do in Chicago" article (to celebrate Chicago's 175th birthday) available right now. I am not sure how long they'll keep this story up on the site. LN, maybe you can incorporate some of the ideas into the "things to do" post.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/weekend/10991954-421/175-ways-to-celebrate-chicagos-birthday.html

i guess from your description of the loop there would be plenty of places to grab breakfast around the hyatt.

Any ideas how much some take away toast and a cup of tea or coffee would cost? Or, someone like something like eggs on toast, muslie, or a full brekkie?

I'm going to include information about places to get breakfast in the Where to Eat section when I post that.

Take away toast is something you probably won't find...toast is generally something you get as a free side when you have a proper breakfast in a sit down restaurant but I haven't ever noticed it as a take away item. The closest you will probably find here is a toasted bagel. You will find lots of options for take away bagels, muffins, scones, and donuts. There are also increasing breakfast sandwich options which generally involve an English muffin or other bread product with egg and bacon. To get a take away tea with a breakfast sandwich from Starbucks, it will cost you about $6. As for how much a full breakfast would cost...it really depends on the restaurant.

Update: it looks like those dates are classed as Silver games and cost $12-$74 ($13.50-$83.00 for those who like to know what it really costs ;p) depending on where you sit.

Try Stub Hub: http://stubhub.com. This is a resale site for tickets for various events from theater to sports. I use this all the time to go to the Cubs if I want to go on short notice or am looking for a good deal. The team was bad last year and expectations are not much higher this year, so I have been able to get tickets for much less than face value. However, if a certain game is a big draw (such as crosstown series, holiday weekend, etc) then you may end up paying more than face value, but it is still better than buying from someone on the street most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a Harry Dresden tour (although I know that the connection between Harry's Chicago and the real world is rather loose...) and found these:

Discovery Centre Tours

and this one.

Still no Harry...anyone know anything about those?

ETA: also been looking for ghost tours, and I get about half a dozen links that look good...does anyone have any experiences there?

I was looking for a Harry Dresden tour (although I know that the connection between Harry's Chicago and the real world is rather loose...) and found these:

Discovery Centre Tours

and this one.

Still no Harry...anyone know anything about those?

ETA: also been looking for ghost tours, and I get about half a dozen links that look good...does anyone have any experiences there?

I've never seen or heard of a Harry Dresden tour here. I suspect its because there is very little real Chicago in his books (at least based on what I've read) so its probably a difficult tour to do.

The Discovery Center is an organization that offers adult continuing education classes. I suspect most people taking those tours would be people that live in Chicago as opposed to tourists since that is who they advertise to. Based on my very limited experience with the group the tour guides probably range from very good to very bad. You might consider looking at some of the reviews on yelp to get a feel for the organization: http://www.yelp.com/biz/discovery-center-chicago

(yelp is a website where people can review all sorts of places. It's not limited to Chicago but it does seem to have a fair amount of people from Chicago contributing to it. Its a very good place for reading reviews of local restaurants. And it does seem to get some feedback on other organizations.)

As for ghost tours I have no experience with them here. But again turning to yelp, here are some reviews of some of the ghost tour groups. Hopefully it will give you some idea about them: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ghost+tours&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL&ns=1

Archived