Everything you need to know about Chicago for WorldCon...[NOW COMPLETE]

I just saw this thread, and I had to reply. I've lived in Chicago for 15 years and LOVE showing the city off to visitors. You don't need a car, but if you have one, driving is much easier than NYC or San Francisco, but harder than Houston or Los Angeles. Public tranportation is convenient - if you use it, I highly recommend using the various transit tracker apps from both iOS or Android markets. All of the buses and most of the trains are GPS-linked, letting you know how long a wait until the next one arrives.

They Hyatt Regency is right downtown, so I may as well start there. Millenium Park is absolutely gorgeous in the summertime, and the Giant Space Bean From Space is a nifty bit of urban artwork. Right by the Regency are two of my favorite places to eat: The Purple Pig, and the recently opened Bar Toma. Both are outstanding, moderately priced considering the neighborhood, and casual.

Stay away from Navy Pier. It's a cheesy tourist trap.

The Chicago Architectural boat tours are fantastic. I think we've got the best skyline in the country, and you learn a lot about the history of architecture from it.

There are bicycle rentals in the park, and the lakeshore bike trail is one of my favorite things in the city. It extends about 15 miles, right next to the lake, and takes you past some pretty cool scenery. South takes you to Soldier Field, the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Field Museum of Natural History, and the University of Chicago (further south). North takes you past some nice neighborhoods, and goes through Lincoln Park (which is absolutely gorgeous); it's a great place to stop, lock up your bikes, and stroll and people watch.

Others have mentioned Wrigley Field. Really, the experience is about the whole neighborhood, and not just the stadium; go for the game, stay for the pub crawl afterwards. Though personally, as a cynical thirtysomething local, I've come to hate it, it's a lot of fun if you're 20 years old and new to the city. For eating in the neighborhood, I highly recommend Chilam Balam, Deleece Pub, and Crisp (fast food, but absolutely delicious), and Socca. If you're willing to trek a couple miles west, Hot Doug's has become a Chicago institution, but be warned that the line can stretch down the block and take up to 45 minutes during peak hours. I never go between 11:30 and 1:30.

If you feel like exploring the neighborhoods, I'd recommend taking a look at this list of restaurants from the dining forum I frequent (a convenient map is available here). Chicago has a very diverse food culture, and there are some great spots on that list you would likely miss if you only looked at more mainstream guides. The Publican has one of the best brunches anywhere - book a reservation early.

That's it for now - I'll be lurking to answer any questions you might have. I hope you all enjoy my city.

Just a warning, since some here don't know me .... but I'll be making an appearance at ChiCon, It's been too many years since I did a BWB hangout. Seeya Labor Day Weekend :)

Post the good news in the official thread! That way we can keep an accurate headcount AND your adoring fans will know to look out for you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff, Narcissa, thank you!

I had a little moment of panic today when I consciously realised how much time I'll be there outside the con, but with all the stuff you posted, there will be enough to do and see.

Is somebody going to organise group activities or trips as time grows nearer to Worldcon? (I'm not unwilling to do it, but I've never been in the region and not terribly well-known on here, so...volunteers? ;))

Glad you find the information useful Alytha! You can certainly keep yourself busy seeing things for a week or two especially if you venture beyond the downtown tourist attractions and go out into the neighborhoods and surrounding areas.

As for group activities or trips, I'm happy to help people with their planning but I'm not sure I'm the best person to take the lead on such things. The bad thing about having the con in your hometown for me is I'm still going to have to do a bunch of work things while the con is going on so I won't have a lot of free time on the weekdays before and after the con. If anyone is going to be around the weekend before of after the con, however, I could probably arrange something for then.

• 2 weeks later...

As I lived in Chicago for many a year and am planning on moving back before the con takes place, here's some food ideas for vegans and vegetarians:

Chicago Diner - 3411 N Halsted

Loving Hut - 5812 N Broadway

Soul Veg East - 205 E 75th

Bleeding Heart Bakery - 1955 W Belmont

Handlebar - 2311 W North

Icream - 1537 N Milwaukee

Rodan - 1530 N Milwaukee

Pick Me Up - 3408 N Clark

Earwax - 1561 N Milwaukee

El Faro - 3936 W 31st

Can't remember if I saw any mention of it in your posts LadyN but I'd be keen to sit one evening in a blues bar during the time in Chicago (its still the home of Blues right?). A drink or two with a backbeat thrumming, maybe even have a conversation. Appreciate any advice on decent joints to check out.

Can't remember if I saw any mention of it in your posts LadyN but I'd be keen to sit one evening in a blues bar during the time in Chicago (its still the home of Blues right?). A drink or two with a backbeat thrumming, maybe even have a conversation. Appreciate any advice on decent joints to check out.

If you look on the first page of this thread in the "Things to do in Chicago" post you will find the section I have on blues and jazz in Chicago. I'm not too familiar with the blues scene here but I have a few links that should help get you the information you need. There are a number of places you can go but I'm not sure what will be going on during WorldCon at this point.

Anyone familiar with Amtrak trips? Specifically, reckon I could make it a liesurely train trip to Chicago via Seattle if I land in LA on the morning of the 23rd?

I was thinking of spending a couple days in LA but might do that on my way back as I'd like to visit Seattle and possibly even Vancouver if I have time...

EDIT: Moved from other thread, seems more appropriate here.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a Foodie and want to spend some of your time in Chicago eating at some hard to get into restaurants - I've updated the "Places to Eat" in Chicago post on the first page of this thread with information on two restaurants that would require action on your part sooner rather than later.

This is a good website to check out for some deals on theater, etc but probably best to check for deals closer to Labor Day weekend as most of what they offer is only a few weeks ahead. They have been posting some weekend Sox games at various times so it may be good to check out for those interested in that.

http://www.goldstar.com/chicago/events

Also if anyone is looking for a guidebook, I recommend the "Not for Tourists Guide to Chicago". Even though if you are buying it for WorldCon you are likely a tourist, but what I like about this is that in addition to liAting the usual restaurants and bars, it also points out pharmacies, cleaners, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc neighborhood by neighborhood so you will have a good idea where to find stuff. And it looks like they have a nice website for those addicted to your smartphones.

http://www.notfortourists.com/chicago.aspx

Chicon7 progress report #4 is now available, PDF link here.

On page 4 there are event suggestions for those with time to enjoy what Chicago has to offer. Most of these LadyN has generously covered at the start of the thread, but its interesting to see what other attendees are planning.

Some events that are already being planned are:

1. A trip to the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, WI, on Sunday, August 26. (http://www.renfair.com/bristol) This Ren Faire is a couple of hours north of Chicago and is a wonderful place. If enough people are willing to pay for vans or a bus to make it affordable, we will try to rent them, otherwise, carpooling is the plan. If we can get at least 15 people, then we can get discount tickets.

2. Can’t Stop the Serenity Charity event in Chicago on Saturday, September 8. (http://www.chicagolandbrowncoats.com) This event raises money for Equality Now and The House of the Good Shepherd. In addition to showing the movie Serenity, it has a costume contest, a charity auction, and possibly even an improv team performing an episode of Firefly. Maybe. You never know.

3. Outings to see the Chicago Cubs play at Wrigley Field. (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com) The Cubs will be playing at home from August 24 through September 2. At this time, no specific days have been decided upon.

4. An outing to the Museum of Science and Industry. (http://www.msichicago.org) We are currently looking at Monday, August 27 so that we can also see the special “Mythbusters: The Explosive Exhibition” (which ends on September 3). This museum is a wonderland, seriously. I have spent hours and hours in this place and still don’t think I’ve seen everything.

5. A beer tasting. No date has been decided yet. A fan plans to find some nearby bars that have local brews on tap and do some tastings. There are quite a few microbreweries in Chicago – it’s been growing in the last few years.

Jebus,

If you're taking an Amtrak trip be sure to factor in possible delays, see why here. Still, I think it would be worth it. If one is not in the drinks carriage with good company then one can take the opportunity to catch up on some Hugo nomination reads.

I'd love to go to the RenFaire and the Mythbusters Exhibition, but can't make those two dates :(

Anyone else interested in organising expeditions on other dates?

Archived