Everything you need to know about Chicago for WorldCon...[NOW COMPLETE]

I've never been to a Worldcon but I am planning on going to this one. I have been to Chicago once and am happy to get back. My question is, if I book 3 nights, which nights should it be? Is F/S/S the peak of the con? The program hasn't been posted yet.

I've never been to a Worldcon but I am planning on going to this one. I have been to Chicago once and am happy to get back. My question is, if I book 3 nights, which nights should it be? Is F/S/S the peak of the con? The program hasn't been posted yet.

FSS - if there is no way you can do TFSS.

Chicon7 progress report #4 is now available, PDF link here.

Thanks for the link. I want to put in a good word for the event that supports the House of Good Shepherd, which is a really worthy charity here. It is a shelter for women and children affected by domestic violence. I donate most of my clothes and household items to them as that is what they most need in setting up their new lives and homes as they leave everything behind when they escape their abusive home situations.

I'd love to go to the RenFaire and the Mythbusters Exhibition, but can't make those two dates :( Anyone else interested in organising expeditions on other dates?

Alytha, the Museum of Science and Industry is really easy to get to on public transportation and the buses run all day long so you don't really need to plan a special trip in advance to go there. You can be more spontaneous about it. But you would need a car to get to the RenFaire so you would need to plan in advance. It would take you about an hour and a half to drive up there. I don't drive so I would be absolutely no help with this...sorry!

I've got a question, too. :)

What is the best way to get from O'Hare airport to the Con Hotel in the evening?

I'll arrive on Monday, August 27 at about 6:35 pm or something. I've no idea how long it'll take to get my luggage but I think that it may take up to an hour. (I'll arrive in the states on week before, so there shouldn't be any immigration things to do)

I'm thinking about taking a taxi, because I'm quite a sissy, but even that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

How much would a taxi from the airport to the Hotel cost?

What is the best way to get from O'Hare airport to the Con Hotel in the evening?

I'll arrive on Monday, August 27 at about 6:35 pm or something. I've no idea how long it'll take to get my luggage but I think that it may take up to an hour. (I'll arrive in the states on week before, so there shouldn't be any immigration things to do)

I'm thinking about taking a taxi, because I'm quite a sissy, but even that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

How much would a taxi from the airport to the Hotel cost?

Adz, if you look on the first page of this thread you will find a post I wrote titled "Getting to Chicago" - its the second post on the page. In that post there is a section on "Getting from O'Hare to the Hyatt". If you still have any questions after reading that, let me know. But I think it should answer your questions...the time of your arrival does not change any of this as the train would have plenty of people on it at that time.

Adz, if you look on the first page of this thread you will find a post I wrote titled "Getting to Chicago" - its the second post on the page. In that post there is a section on "Getting from O'Hare to the Hyatt". If you still have any questions after reading that, let me know. But I think it should answer your questions...the time of your arrival does not change any of this as the train would have plenty of people on it at that time.

Ah, thanks Lady N. :)

Didn't read that part of the thread. :blushing:

if anyone needs a con membership, it looks like I'll have 2 to transfer. Work changed its schedule and I'll be working that week if we make our deadlines. I will make mine, but I'm still skeptical they will make theirs. I'll know in early august. so send people my way. <sigh>

if anyone needs a con membership, it looks like I'll have 2 to transfer. Work changed its schedule and I'll be working that week if we make our deadlines. I will make mine, but I'm still skeptical they will make theirs. I'll know in early august. so send people my way. <sigh>

NO! Unacceptable!!! BOOO!!! :tantrum:

In other words, I hope you can get things worked out.

This sucks Boiled. Your work schedule sucks (I hope it can work out). Who are Neal & I s'posed to have a decent vino with now? We might have to bring our own.

• 2 weeks later...

For something to do Downtown, I gotta recommend Tastebud Toursfor a chance to sample a lot of differnet aspects of what Chicago is famous for...It's a walking tour, but it isn't terrible. Mrs. Jax walked it with me while eight months pregnant and at least one of the tours takes you through Pizano's, which really is the best deep dish in Chicago... :P

I love the food tour idea. I notice that Chicago Food Planet food toursare also slightly more highly recommended on Tripadvisor - they have three tours, including a more expensive Chinatown one :drool: Looks like they're booking up already so if anyone would be interested in doing one of these sometime between 27th Aug and the start of Con, post here - they're up to 12 people per tour I think.

If you are a Foodie and want to spend some of your time in Chicago eating at some hard to get into restaurants - I've updated the "Places to Eat" in Chicago post on the first page of this thread with information on two restaurants that would require action on your part sooner rather than later.

Thanks for that - your posts are wonderful.

I'd love to go to the RenFaire and the Mythbusters Exhibition, but can't make those two dates :(

Anyone else interested in organising expeditions on other dates?

I expect Mentat and I could be persuaded to do the science museum visit on 28th or 29th or 30th (not sure exactly what time all the Con activity starts).

Sophie

Definitely want to do an architectural boat tour. I have been one one each of the previous two times I visited Chicago and really recommend them. I had absolutely no interest in skyscrapers and yet become fascinated. And you get some lovely views of things like the corncobs which make concrete look fun. I haven't done one of the Chicago Architectural Foundation ones before so that sounds like a great recommendation. Again, anyone around from 26th before the Con interested in these?

ETA: I meant to ask: when I was first in Chicago, probably about 6 years ago, I went out on the lake* on a 'sunset cruise' on a tall ship (for tourists) called the Tall Ship Sally (unless I've remembered wrong). There were a couple of them and they did a pirate act and fired a cannon at each other. It was fun, especially as the sun setting over Chicago was completely amazing. But I can't find any info on the web about them any more. Is there anything like this? If not tall ships with real sails, then sunset cruises that people would recommend?

* In Europe, this would be called a sea. But in the US, it is just a lake. In the US everything is bigger.

Does anyone know if the Hyatt has a swimmingpool?

I may want to get some swimming done while there. ;)

From the other thread:

For those of you who have made your hotel reservations, are you all booking at the Hyatt Regency Chicago? They don't even HAVE A POOOL!! damn...

You can always go to the beach and go swimming in Lake Michigan. There are dedicated lanes for swimming in some areas on the lake. Alternatively I think you can get a day pass to an athletic club near the hotel and use their pool. And I'm not sure if this is still the case but you used to be able to use the pool at the InterContinental Hotel (about 3 blocks north of the Hyatt) for a nominal fee on a daily basis. You've got options for swimming. I'll look into them and include that information in my Chicago thread.

Hi Sophie :)

I'd definetely be up for the Chinatown food tour on one of the days in the week before the Con (28th or 29th I'd guess)

The Tall ship thing sounds awesome too. I hope we can find that.

I'll start a thread to try to organise other activities in a couple of days.

Adz, I'll go swimming in the lake with you, but only if the water's more than 25°C ;)

I meant to ask: when I was first in Chicago, probably about 6 years ago, I went out on the lake* on a 'sunset cruise' on a tall ship (for tourists) called the Tall Ship Sally (unless I've remembered wrong). There were a couple of them and they did a pirate act and fired a cannon at each other. It was fun, especially as the sun setting over Chicago was completely amazing. But I can't find any info on the web about them any more. Is there anything like this? If not tall ships with real sails, then sunset cruises that people would recommend?

I think what you are asking about is this:

http://www.tallshipwindy.com

They seem to have some pirate themed cruises and it is a tall ship. It leaves from Navy Pier. I've never taken it so I can't recommend it or not. A decent source of reviews for things in Chicago is yelp.com and here are some of the reviews of the tours there:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tall-ship-windy-chicago

Adz, I'll go swimming in the lake with you, but only if the water's more than 25°C ;)

Its possible, it depends on how warm this summer is. If we have a real hot August the lake will be nice and warm when you get here. Its currently at about 64 degrees and its only the beginning of the summer.

Alternatively, we could charter the Red Witch, their other tall ship. If we get 49 people, it would be about 30$ per head for 3 hours, which is much less than their usual price, unless I misunderstood something there.

From the other thread:

Oh well... It's very helpful if one can read. :leaving:

Thanks Sophie. :)

Hi Sophie :)

I'd definetely be up for the Chinatown food tour on one of the days in the week before the Con (28th or 29th I'd guess)

The Tall ship thing sounds awesome too. I hope we can find that.

I'll start a thread to try to organise other activities in a couple of days.

Cool! :D

I think what you are asking about is this:

http://www.tallshipwindy.com

They seem to have some pirate themed cruises and it is a tall ship. It leaves from Navy Pier. I've never taken it so I can't recommend it or not. A decent source of reviews for things in Chicago is yelp.com and here are some of the reviews of the tours there:

http://www.yelp.com/...p-windy-chicago

Its possible, it depends on how warm this summer is. If we have a real hot August the lake will be nice and warm when you get here. Its currently at about 64 degrees and its only the beginning of the summer.

Sounds like our summer over here atm. :stillsick:

Alternatively, we could charter the Red Witch, their other tall ship. If we get 49 people, it would be about 30$ per head for 3 hours, which is much less than their usual price, unless I misunderstood something there.

I would be up for this. I think. ;)

Archived