Everything you need to know about Chicago for WorldCon...[NOW COMPLETE]

Sounds like our summer over here atm. :stillsick:

64 F is just the temperature of the water in Lake Michigan. Its plenty warm outside the water. We've had lots of days in the 90s so far...it will be up to 100 F this Thursday. So the lake water temperature is bound to be much warmer come the end of August is this hot weather continues.

I think what you are asking about is this:

http://www.tallshipwindy.com

That must be it! It did go from Navy Pier. Thank you :)

Alternatively, we could charter the Red Witch, their other tall ship. If we get 49 people, it would be about 30$ per head for 3 hours, which is much less than their usual price, unless I misunderstood something there.

Ooh - that looks nice. Don't suppose we'd get 49 people though...

I'm just going away for a week and will look at these more closely when I get back.

64 F is just the temperature of the water in Lake Michigan. Its plenty warm outside the water. We've had lots of days in the 90s so far...it will be up to 100 F this Thursday. So the lake water temperature is bound to be much warmer come the end of August is this hot weather continues.

Oh! Understood that wrong. :leaving:

;)

That must be it! It did go from Navy Pier. Thank you :)

Ooh - that looks nice. Don't suppose we'd get 49 people though...

I'm just going away for a week and will look at these more closely when I get back.

Ok, 49 might be a bit overly optimistic...but they do discounts for smaller groups too, I think.

On the first page of this thread I've filled in the information on the Getting Around Chicago post. If anyone has any questions about getting around Chicago and public transporation that the post does not answer, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the Things to do in Chicago post on the first page of this thread with updated information about tours, exhibits, performances, and other things going on in Chicago around the time of WorldCon. For those of you wondering about swimming while in Chicago, I've also included updated information on that.

I think that is is for Things do to in Chicago. I don't plan on updating that section any further unless something fabulous comes up at the last minute.

If anyone has any questions about anything, please let me know.

I wil now work on finishing the Food in Chicago post so that I can get it posted and available for your use.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are two things I wanted to add:

1. Where the hotel is located, there is an underground level of streets. So there's upper Wacker and lower Wacker. (There's even, kind of, a middle Wacker.) The hotel is also located right by the Chicago River. There are things that you might want to do that require you to cross the river. (For example, about 3 or 4 of the river boat tours have boarding along the river right across from the hotel.) To cross the river, you can walk along upper Wacker, going out out of your way a block or two to the east or west. Or you can cross on lower Wacker right there, without going out of your way. If is it day time, and you are sober, lower Wacker is a fine place to walk. Please, please, please do not let me hear about a bunch of drunk BwBers stumbling around lower Wacker at night.

2. Lately, there have been a series of "flash mob" attacks where groups of teenagers mug people, usually in tourist areas. Please be safe and be aware of your surroundings.

Please, please, please do not let me hear about a bunch of drunk BwBers stumbling around lower Wacker at night.

2. Lately, there have been a series of "flash mob" attacks where groups of teenagers mug people, usually in tourist areas. Please be safe and be aware of your surroundings.

Rest assured, if I form a flash mob, I will let you know about it beforehand. We'll need your right hook.

Thanks mouse, I've edited your information into the first post on the first page.

I've also finally added the information on Places to Eat in the post on the first page.

This post is now complete. All the information about Chicago, and how to travel around, and how to get in from the airport, and where to eat, and what to do is included in the posts on the first page of this thread. Any subsequent information that has come up in posts on the other pages has also been edited in to the first page of this post.

I hope the information is helpful. I hope everyone has a good time in Chicago! If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for all your hard work, LadyN!

Is it me or are there a lot of gourmet cupcake places in Chicago?

Thanks Ben!

And lol believe it or not I didn't even list half the cupcake places we have here. There are a ton more. Cupcakes are quite popular here. There are even cupcake trucks that sell cupcakes on the street in the downtown area.

Mmmm cupcakes... :drool:

On another note, are there areas of Chicago where you would not encourage tourists to go wandering around? I know that shit can happen anywhere, but you don't have to go looking for it...

One reason I'm asking: the Hard Rock Cafes sometimes tend to be in a bit shady areas...(and I really have to go there ;) )

I like cupcakes! Yes, yes. I will read the other info as well, but... CUPCAKES!!! :)

Mmmm cupcakes... :drool:

LOL! I hope you both get a chance to try out a variety and find the ones you like best!

On another note, are there areas of Chicago where you would not encourage tourists to go wandering around? I know that shit can happen anywhere, but you don't have to go looking for it...

One reason I'm asking: the Hard Rock Cafes sometimes tend to be in a bit shady areas...(and I really have to go there ;) )

Yes there are areas of Chicago that I would not encourage a tourist to go to. None of them, however, are areas that tourists would find themselves in as a normal course of their visit. You'd have to be really lost to find your way to these areas. The closest I can say is if you go to Hyde Park...just stay within Hyde Park as some of the surrounding areas are perhaps best not visited by yourself. But within Hyde Park itself you are fine.

The Hard Rock Hotel is about 2 blocks from the con hotel so its a very busy downtown/touristy area. They used to have a shop, I'm not sure if its still there or not. The Hard Rock Cafe is also in a busy touristy area so that is fine to go to as well.

Lady N - Chicago does have a significant homeless and panhandler population downtown. Do you have any advice for our more tenderhearted bretheren on how one deals with the panhandlers? People from small cities might not be prepared...and even from Atlanta (which is said to have a large population of such), I was shocked. People sleeping on grates, in January. A woman with a stroller, with a sign stating "$1...just give me $1 for my baby's formula".

I wanted to add to Lady Narcissa's advice.

As someone who works with the homeless on a daily basis, I have a policy of never actually giving money. Sometimes I will take a person to get something to eat, but I don't give out money for that purpose. Over the years I've come to realize that what's most valuable is what I call the 3 T's: time, touch, and talk. When people ask me for money, I let them know that I have nothing for them at that point, but I will often stop to chat with them for a moment or two. Sometimes it's as little as 30 seconds. I have rarely gotten hostile responses about my refusal to give money; I regularly receive appreciation for taking the time to treat the person with whom I'm talking as a human being.

A friend of mine who at one point was homeless for several months once told me that what struck him most was the lengths to which tourists and passers-by would go to not even acknowledge him -- not respond to his greetings or look him in the eye. He found that when people just acknowledged him it felt really good. It didn't give him something to eat, but there are dozens of soup kitchens, food pantries, and places to get free food around the city. Food wasn't necessarily the biggest issue. Being acknowledged and treated as a human being was. That may sound like a simple thing and no big deal, but few folks out panhandling experience that on a daily basis. If you don't want to have a daily budget to give out to people, maybe set aside an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get to know a couple people every day. Unlike money, the time you give them is literally priceless and can never be replaced.

Anyway. Just a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived