Wind's Points of View.

Arkash

Alright, let's discuss the PoV we'll have in Winds...

So, we will have:

Arianne.

Sansa.

Arya.

Theon.

Damphair.

Those ones are official yet.

Now, who else ?

First, the inevitables:

Sam.

Tyrion.

Daenerys.

Jaime.

Cersei.

Davos.

Bran.

And the strongly possible:

Asha.

Victarion.

Barristan.

Areoh.

Melisandre.

Jon Conington.

Brienne.

Last, the new ones, maybe?

I know GRRM told there wont be new PoV but he also said, according to what I have found about this declaration (didnt manage to find the real source, so what I say may be not totally reliable) that nothing was carved in stone and maybe there will be new ones.

From what I think, he'll need some new characters made as PoV:

One of the Sand Snakes in King's Landing, because the only PoV we have now in KL is Cersei and I'm sure it wont be enough, so: Lady Nym or Tyene.

Could be interesting to have the Blackfish too.

Or Edmure Tully to visit Casterly Rock, but I'm quite sure this one wont happen: GRRM is saving CR for a special moment for us to discover it.

Along the other possible PoV I've discussed on the forum, some other names came out:

Val, Mance Ryder (although no king ever got a PoV so I would bet my money on this one), Willas, Garlan, Bronn, Rickon, Osha, Sarella, Olenna, Catelyn (??), Edric, Sandor, Ramsay..

So, well, here we are:

We have 19 POVs that are quite sure to be there, that's a lot...

Three more than Dance, not counting prologue and epilogue in both cases!

And I dont think characters that will live through Winds will have just one chapter (except maybe Bran), so that means, to keep the book viable, characters will have to die quickly to make some space (if I had to bet, I'd go for Theon, Brienne, Areoh, Connington, Barristan).

And during this whole post I havent mentionned Jon Snow, and the guy could up the number of PoV to 20...

I understand GRRM when he says he wont add PoV, but I think he'll have to add one or two...

Any thoughts ?

George has said that he intends to try hard not to introduce any new points of view apart from those doomed to be the viewpoint character of a prologue or epilogue. However, he won’t let himself be boxed into that if there is no other viable solution, as we saw occur with Ser Barristan.

Looking at that list makes me realize how bloated this story has become. Some people really need to die soon (and stay dead!!).

hopefully damphair and victarion

most likely candidates to die however are: Brienne, Barristan, Asha or Theon and of course Jon Connington

I don't know how much we will see of Bran, he knows way too much at this point

Well, what is strongly possible is that, seing the groups that are now, we'll have les povs:

Barristan, Tyrion, Victarion, (Dany): together.

Jaime, Brienne: together.

Theon, Asha; together.

Arianne, Aeroh: together.

Jon, Melisandre: together.

Well, what is strongly possible is that, seing the groups that are now, we'll have les povs:

Barristan, Tyrion, Victarion, (Dany): together.

Jaime, Brienne: together.

Theon, Asha; together.

Arianne, Aeroh: together.

Jon, Melisandre: together.

Very good point. He may drop some of those POV's altogether (and a few will die I would think). It'll be interesting to see if GRRM gives 2 chapter to Asha and 2 to Theon or all of them to Theon.. The distribution of chapters amongnst POV's who are near each other could go a lot of different ways.

I also agree with the poster who says a KL POV other than Cersei may be necessary. As we saw from Feast she is very unreliable as a narrator because everyone lies to her (and she's ignorant of this so many readers will miss that).

I also agree with the poster who says a KL POV other than Cersei may be necessary. As we saw from Feast she is very unreliable as a narrator because everyone lies to her (and she's ignorant of this so many readers will miss that).

That's the fun of her POVs. We readers have to pay attention to what is real and subtext, not only what Cersei thinks.

Usually in the series, the POVs have one arc inside the book, except the ones that are called by their title. So, which characters will have full arcs in this book and which will only describe what's happening around them? Will Damphair and Arienne become major POVs?

And the only Sand Snake I'm interested as a POV is Obara, since there is no one near her at the moment.

What NO jon. You really don't think he is dead do you?

Well since we've seen him die or get stabbed many times, i think he is dead. But then again the Prologue was about Varamyr who talks alot about living a second life in a animal. I think Varamyr might be a complete waste of a POV if Jon is truly dead. One thing i'm quite certain of is that he won't be the same. We learned that death really changes people. Like the sweet and loving Catelyn, she became a heartless monster who seeks nothing but revenge. She even tried to kill Brienne who was trying to find Sansa. I think the Jon we knew is gone.

Well since we've seen him die or get stabbed many times, i think he is dead. But then again the Prologue was about Varamyr who talks alot about living a second life in a animal. I think Varamyr might be a complete waste of a POV if Jon is truly dead. One thing i'm quite certain of is that he won't be the same. We learned that death really changes people. Like the sweet and loving Catelyn, she became a heartless monster who seeks nothing but revenge. She even tried to kill Brienne who was trying to find Sansa. I think the Jon we knew is gone.

I disagree... remember how we've seen several characters (Lord Beric and Victarion) healed by Red Priests (Dondarrion restored after myriad deaths by Thoros of Myr and Greyjoy's hand by Moquorro). Although the healing always had consequences; it served to embolden them or set them more firmly on their paths. Lord Beric began to forget himself as he was before the beginning of the war (so in that respect, perhaps the "Jon we knew" is gone or changed for ever). Victarion begins to strike his own path after his hand is healed, deciding to take Danerys for himself.

Cat was dead for around four days before she was resurrected by Lord Beric. The circumstances around her resurrection are also different from the aforementioned characters: she was not saved just after death or healed from a mortal wound. Furthermore, she was killed by traitors rather than killed/wounded during battle for her chosen cause, as the others. This made her resurrected form seek only revenge, rather than pursuing her destiny with all the more vigor (revenge was all that was left for her).

I tend to think Jon will be resurrected (if dead) or healed (if dying) by Melissandre. This would also enter him officially into the running as the Prince Who Was Promised / Azor Ahi Reborn (which would also add credence to the R + L = J theories).

This all goes to say... I'm willing to convince myself that Jon can't be dead and will cite any plausible (or flimsy) piece of evidence to delude myself.

Most Likely Candidates to Die:

• Asha or Theon for obvious reasons
  • Barristan: he has served his purpose and we have three POV's around Meereen already
  • Brienne or Jaime for obvious reasons, my money's on Brienne
  • Damphair: what else could he possibly do other than pull a Maester Cressen on Euron; we will see the true extent of Euron's power
  • Jon Con or Arianne, probably Jon Con

I think Cersei will somehow manage to survive the book, otherwise we are completely shut off from KL. I'm also going to predict that there will be at least one "shocker" death a la Ned/Robb (though at a smaller scale, we don't have many characters like that left). The most likely POV candidates would be Sam and Davos, although a combination of Theon and Jaime might be sufficient "shockers". I also think that a few important non POVs will bite the dust, with Margaery, Stoneheart, and Doran being my guesses. Mayhaps Doran will be assassinated by Darkstar (I mean come on, he must have SOMETHING to do), which leaves the impulsive Arianne in command and free to side with Team Aegon over Team Dany. This would also give Areo something to do before hopefully dying himself. Just pure speculation.

What NO jon. You really don't think he is dead do you?

No I dont think he's dead but I think we wont have any PoV of him !

with Margaery, Stoneheart, and Doran being my guesses. Mayhaps Doran will be assassinated by Darkstar (I mean come on, he must have SOMETHING to do), which leaves the impulsive Arianne in command and free to side with Team Aegon over Team Dany. This would also give Areo something to do before hopefully dying himself. Just pure speculation.

I'd like Cat ton finally meet her end.

Doran will probaly die soon, yes. And Arianne will make Dorne move much faster.

I think the Damphair might bite the dust at the end of the book.

Areoh might die as well alongside Doran !

Archived