Wind's Points of View.

Arkash

Yes, that would be a shock indeed, provided Tyrion has the biggest number of chapters so far and GRRM admited he's one of his favourite characters. But I'm not saying it's completely out of question, there's no such thing in ASOIAF I guess. The question is: what could be the point of potential Tyrion's death? Cos I don't believe a "shock value" would be enough. But it's worth discussing.

If the endgame is Westeros vs. Others Tyrion is useless. Honestly I don't see him riding a dragon or outwitting the Others. And he shouldn't live for murdering his father, regardless what Tywin has done. Honourable men don't do this [and I can imagine the endgame being a question of being honourable as well].

I disagree with you, simply on the grounds that I am not yet certain that the valonqar is actually referring to Cersei's brothers by blood.

It could be just over thinking, but I suspect that it would be too easy if it was Tyrion or Jaime. Having it be Jaime is convenient because it gives people the satisfaction of seeing Cersei fall by the hand of the brother she loves, having turned her other brother against her by assuming the valonqar would be Tyrion, and hating him her entire life. But I think it would pull a fast one on Cersei and readers if Jaime was killed, and the valonqar was NOT Tyrion. As soon as Jaime dies, everyone would assume that Tyrion would be the one to kill her, but to be honest, I don't think Tyrion would have it in him to kill his sister. As much as he hates Cersei, I have this inkling that he pities her (or is on his way to pitying her) more than anything.

On a grander scale, I think that pity for Cersei is something that a number of POV characters are beginning to develop, and I think Martin has done an admirable job in placing a more sympathetic light on her. Her death, if it ever comes to fruition, is not one that I anticipate Martin writing in contempt, but rather as an example of how hated a character can be from the very beginning of a story, with everyone wishing she would just die already, and then when the moment finally comes, we realize that she doesn't really deserve death.

No she deserves death, IMO. LOL. The way GRRM writes his characters is brilliant to me. The way I read his books is that for some people death is too good for them. I mean Cersei was ready to be beheaded during the blackwater battle just to prevent Stannis or the Starks from having the last laugh. Cersei doesn't really fear death, she fears losing her power. Death is too good for her. Having her to suffer the lost of Joffrey, the loss of her father, the loss of her lover, the loss of her other two kids who will be killed in front of her, and being forced to walk through kings landing naked is a much worse case then simply being killed. Shes getting everything she deserved. Of course we're led to feel sorry for her, but that doesnt mean she doesn't deserve it. This is just my opining though

:agree:

Most people expect Jaime to be the valonqar, which would make his death even more shocking. I think the volanqar actually refers to Robert's younger brother, Stannis. If you reread Maggy's prophecy, you will notice that she mentions the king, Robert, several times before mentioning the valonqar. I think that Maggy could very possibly have been referring to the the king's little brother, not Cersei's. It would be somewhat poetic for Cersei to be finally brought down by the brother of the man she married but never wanted and ultimately ended up indirectly murdering. It's slightly far-fetched, but I think Jaime as the valonqar would be too obvious.

God I hope it is Stannis. 'My brothers send there regards.'

I really hope Barristan isn't the POV to die... If he went all the way to Meereen just to die with Dany I would be so pissed.

At least let him die in battle, not by getting double crossed by the shavepate.

I would also love to see Barristan's reaction of Tyrion and Jorah Mormont showing up... I love Barristan, but he is a pretty damn self righteous and we know how much he hates Mormont... I can only imagine how pissed he'd be to see Tyrion joining with Dany

That being said... I see a major character dying in this next book. Perhaps Davos, unfortunately, i just have a bad feeling about him

Everyone thinks Davos is going to die. Davos has almost died at least 87 times in this series. I think he will make it to the end.

Everyone thinks Davos is going to die. Davos has almost died at least 87 times in this series. I think he will make it to the end.

Haha, nicely said, of course, he's one of the greatest survivor of the story, but I really dont think he'll make it through.

When exactly has Davos "almost died" besides the Blackwater? Sure, we were led to believe that he might be dead from a passing mention in Cersei's POV, but in my opinion that doesn't really count as almost dying. Maybe I'm forgetting something but outside the battle I can't recall any near death experiences.

Anyway, I don't think there's any chance of Tyrion dying in this book unless Dany gets her ass over to Westeros near the halfway mark at least, which is very unlikely. Tyrion will not die before meeting Dany, and he will not die after meeting Dany until he can actually be of use to her. Otherwise, why not just kill him at the end of ASoS?

I think as Cersei leaves KL for Casterly Rock, Aegon, Jon Connington and Arianne will enter KL. Thus no need for a new POV.

Is there a need if Cersei stays? She seemed to cover things just fine in AFfC as Tyrion did in ACoK.

When exactly has Davos "almost died" besides the Blackwater? Sure, we were led to believe that he might be dead from a passing mention in Cersei's POV, but in my opinion that doesn't really count as almost dying. Maybe I'm forgetting something but outside the battle I can't recall any near death experiences.

Well, hanging on a piece of rock AFTER the Blackwater, without water and food, IMO counts as near death experience as well. So does accusation of treason by Stannis, like Brucolac said. And Manderly explicitly told him he would really execute him, if Freys started suspect anything, so that also should count.

Well, hanging on a piece of rock AFTER the Blackwater, without water and food, IMO counts as near death experience as well. So does accusation of treason by Stannis, like Brucolac said. And Manderly explicitly told him he would really execute him, if Freys started suspect anything, so that also should count.

lol exactly right. Seems like every Davos chapter he is either in prison, before a lord who doesn't know what to do with him, dying or fearing death.

1.) Battle of Blackwater - survives

2.) Dying on rock after Blackwater

3.) Imprisoned on Dragonstone when Mel sees him trying to kill her

4.) Threatened to be beheaded by Stannis when he sends off Edric Storm

5.) Almost dies on his way to the Three sisters islands

6.) Gets captured and brought before the lord of the three sisters who can potentially ransom/kill him

7.) Imprisoned at white harbour - death is faked

8.) On his way to Skagos - will probably 'almost' get killed by unicorns, cannibals or giant wolves.

I really want Theon to survive the 7 books and for his brothers to forgive him and make him an official Stark, but thats just a fools wish.

I think as Cersei leaves KL for Casterly Rock, Aegon, Jon Connington and Arianne will enter KL. Thus no need for a new POV.

I'm not that sure the GC will take KL in a near future, they first have to conquer and ally with the whole south: Dorne, the Reach, the Stormlands (guess this one is well advanced seing they probably take Storm's Ends)... they wont be able to have a secure army and backgrounds before the end of the book... and that is if everything goes alright (dont forget what story we're talking about, so that strongly unlikely to happen either).... so I dont see'em taking KL now...

So, Cersei will have to stay there if we want to have first-handed informations about what happens there.... and if she really has to go to CR, we'll have to get new PoV (a Sand Snake or a Tyrell).

And I dont think Cersei will leave KL yet... even if she wins her trial, something will keep her to the Red Keep, dont know why but I think she's stuck there for quite a time, imo.

I really want Theon to survive the 7 books and for his brothers to forgive him and make him an official Stark, but thats just a fools wish.

Theon is not a Stark, he's a Greyjoy, what would be really good for him is to accept he is a Kraken, be proud of it and be accepted by the Iron-Born as one of them. That'd be good.

Although he's been raised alongside Starks, so yeah, since we are more what we are raised to be than what we are born to be, he's more Stark than Greyjoy, so, yeah, why not too ?

I don't agree with those who think it is unlikely we get another Bran PoV for a couple of reasons. GRRM has said before that the story is about the children - not just the Starks, of course, but about the Lannisters, the Targaryens, etc. Bran is now in a position of increasing power in terms of gathering information, both past and future - and let's face it: there is just no way in hell this series is finished in another two books in ANY satisfying way unless GRRM starts answering questions and revealing mysteries fast and furious. As someone noted above, this series, much as I love it, IS bloated with PoVs, and while I haven't invested a huge amount in all of them, there are so many I HAVE invested in that simply to let them drop or leave them hanging WILL disappoint me greatly. Frankly, I really don't see how two books are going to do it - but IF they do, I think using Bran's increasingly powerful farsight and communication abilities is going to be crucial. Not to mention that Bran's own perspective on his changing into this figure will be fascinating in its own right. I think we will get MORE of him in the next two books, and as peripheral characters are inevitably killed off in the coming confrontation, the entire narrative will return to the focal characters from early in the series. A suppose a few of them could be surprise deaths...but I actually doubt it, at this point.

And by the way, I've been predicting this for quite a while. Bran will be a witness to Jaime and Cersei killing each other - they exit as they entered. In fact, I think Bran will witness many things, as foreshadowed by his predilection for climbing walls to see out over the world beyond Winterfell. He's pretty much above everything now, and I think he will become less and less limited as we close in on the endgame.

I also think that a lot of questions will be answered with Bran's POV. It will have to be done well though because it would be weird if Bran just started seeing random things to answer questions. As for Bran warging a dragon, I find it doubtful. I feel like a dragon would be extremely difficult to warg and control. Bran is one of the characters that I'm very interested in how his story goes from this point. It could go many different ways and it will interesting to see where GRRM takes it.

If I had to bet money on eventual PoV deaths, I'd, myself, go for :

- Davos.

- Brienne.

- Areoh.

- Barristan.

- Sam.

- Connington.

Quite a lot.

I don't think Sam or Davos (there have to be a few happy endings!) but would agree with the rest. Also I think Jaime is a goner, plus Victarion & Theon.

Is there a need if Cersei stays? She seemed to cover things just fine in AFfC as Tyrion did in ACoK.

As long as Cersei stays in Kings Landing there is no need for a new POV

I'm not that sure the GC will take KL in a near future, they first have to conquer and ally with the whole south: Dorne, the Reach, the Stormlands (guess this one is well advanced seing they probably take Storm's Ends)... they wont be able to have a secure army and backgrounds before the end of the book... and that is if everything goes alright (dont forget what story we're talking about, so that strongly unlikely to happen either).... so I dont see'em taking KL now...

So, Cersei will have to stay there if we want to have first-handed informations about what happens there.... and if she really has to go to CR, we'll have to get new PoV (a Sand Snake or a Tyrell).

And I dont think Cersei will leave KL yet... even if she wins her trial, something will keep her to the Red Keep, dont know why but I think she's stuck there for quite a time, imo.

I think Cersei will remain in Kings Landing until Aegon and Jon Connington take Kings Landing (in a reversal of the Lannister sack of KL), probably accompanied by Arianne Martell. Which will be most of TWOW.

Therefore it is not necessary for GRRM to add any new POVs.

When I read this post, I thought you were pontificating that that the titular Wind would have a POV.

I would like to see a prologue/epilogue POV from Jojen, since his death seem pretty inevitable at this point. It would be nice to know what the hell is going on with Bran, outside of his own head. He seems to have grown powerful beyond measure, but because he's a humble little boy, he doesn't realise it yet.

Are there any characters from previous books whose fate was not certain (ala Theon)?

Jaime and Brienne in a way, we dont know what happens of them.

And to a lesser point: Davos.

That's for Dance.

Then, from previous books, no, I think all the PoV have a known fate, there are no other "Theons".

Are there any prominent non-PoV characters that could crop up? There are some loose end deaths/disappearances out there: this has been discussed elsewhere, but we don't KNOW that Syrio is dead... also, there's Benjen (although there are strong signs that he is Coldhands). Also, there are strong indications that Sandor Clegane lives. Anyone think we'll have someone established step into a PoV role (much as Barristan Selmy did)?

Archived