Wind's Points of View.

Arkash

Yes, it's been noticed, but that is because her story takes some real time to happen and it can be quickly tell, so GRRM spreads it through the books !

She would have been one of the really few characters to benefit of the 5 years gap initially planned !

Some of those characters do have to start a new story arc, we let them on twists last time we saw them:

1. Jon/Melisandre

4. Davos

5. Sansa

6. Jaime/Brienne

10. Sam

12. Arya

Those characters are the ones left on a cliffhanger !

I'm not sure if I follow, but start a new arc and being left with a cliffhanger seems to be the opposite. Arya, Sansa, Sam and Davos will begin a new storyline, but Jon/Mel and Brienne/Jaime will continue what happened to theirs.

This is true of course, and Martin has said that he's trying now to reconverge all the plot lines. But that still doesn't change the fact that apart from a few areas (KL, Slaver's Bay) we don't really need more than one POV per area. It would still make the story feel a bit more bloated IMO.

I don't think having more than one POV for every location is a bad literary decision. It really adds to the story to have different POVs about any one event. Also, it gives us the opportunity to see characters from outside themselves. So we get Daenerys reflecting on Tyrion and vise versa.

More than that though, it doesn't lengthen the story so long as the POVs rotate. Meaning, we might get 6 Asha/Theon chapters but instead of it being 6 Theon POVs it will be 3 Theon POVs and 3 Asha POVs or something like that (i.e., it doesn't have to be an exact split).

Also, just a little nitpick but you've grouped the plotlines rather roughly. The Iron Isle for instance have yet to really connect to what's going on in the North overmuch. Yes they're present, but the plot on the isles in TWOW seems to be Aeron's struggle against Euron's reign, whereas The North at the moment is focused on finding a Stark heir and ousting the Boltons.

I was rather rough with my grouping of POVs but I do think the Iron Islands should still be grouped with the North given Asha and Theon's presence there, along with Asha's plans. I thoroughly expect Aeron to either join with their stories or eventually disappear after accomplishing something grand -- say, killing Euron or overthrowing his rule.

Actually, while we're here, I think the Northern POVs will eventually become one story in TWoW. So it will be Jon/Melisandre/Theon/Asha/Aeron/Davos. I don't think all of those POVs will survive the next book and/or continue on as POVs but I do think all that's happening in the North will become one story.

My guess is that Jon/Melisandre will come south, in retreat, probably with Davos and Rickon who will have gone to Castle Black, and join up with Manderlay and Asha/Theon in or around Winterfell.

@Faint: Well It's a matter of personal preference but I just feel that unless the location is particularly complex, like KL or Slaver's Bay, having multiple POV's in one place for an extended period of time makes the story feel fragmented. It also allows for extra character development of the more important characters. I like Asha, but ultimately Theon is more important, so I want as much time in his head as possible to get to know his thought processes and such. I don't for example think that Tyrion and Dany will be in the same place for a long time.

I do agree that we're gearing towards a lot of the northern plotlines coming together, but I don't know when the Iron Isles will come into it. Clearly they've got to join up to the main story at some point or else that sideplot would be useless, but I see Aeron linking more with Samwell's plot (though not directly.), what with Euron attacking Oldtown. I can see Asha dying in Winds, and Theon rejecting his Ironborn heritage to become a Stark. However I think that Jon/Melsandre/Theon/Bran/Davos/Jaime (yes him too.) are converging.

Alright, let's discuss the PoV we'll have in Winds...

And during this whole post I havent mentionned Jon Snow, and the guy could up the number of PoV to 20...

I understand GRRM when he says he wont add PoV, but I think he'll have to add one or two...

Any thoughts ?

This whole series is about Jon Snow and he surely is NOT dead!

I do agree that we're gearing towards a lot of the northern plotlines coming together, but I don't know when the Iron Isles will come into it.

Somehow the Iron Islands are already in this plotline with Theon and Asha.

But I agree, there is a hell lot more to come from them !

I think Winds will really see the rise of Euron, and that is why the Damphair might be one of the most important characters of the book !:

I think Winds will really see the rise of Euron, and that is why the Damphair might be one of the most important characters of the book !:

Maybe Euron's rise and fall. I get the feeling TWoW will see Asha taking a important role in the matters of Ironborn, maybe even killing Euron. :)

Somehow the Iron Islands are already in this plotline with Theon and Asha.

But I agree, there is a hell lot more to come from them !

Yes Theon and Asha are Ironborn, but they're not really interacting with the Ironborn side plot, which is Euron's plan to take over Westeros and Aeron opposing him. Asha has specifically run away from all this and Theon was never apart of Euron's side story. But yeah I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Euron and Aeron. I did have a thought that Aeron might try and raise a Kraken to fight Euron. Now that would make me like him.

I did have a thought that Aeron might try and raise a Kraken to fight Euron. Now that would make me like him.

It's been widely discussed on my topic of the "Under the Water", and I must admit, I'd like to see Aeron trying to summon Krakens to fight his brothers, even if he was to fail like Quentyn.

Well It's a matter of personal preference but I just feel that unless the location is particularly complex, like KL or Slaver's Bay, having multiple POV's in one place for an extended period of time makes the story feel fragmented. It also allows for extra character development of the more important characters. I like Asha, but ultimately Theon is more important, so I want as much time in his head as possible to get to know his thought processes and such. I don't for example think that Tyrion and Dany will be in the same place for a long time.

How did you feel about the interplay between CATELYN and TYRION during 'A Game of Thrones'? I thought the character development during this small section of the novel was exceptional. Tyrion had very interesting thoughts regarding Cat and vice versa.

My biggest criticism of 'A Dance With Dragons' was that we still did not get a viewpoint of a character reflected on Dany's actions as they happened. When we finally got THE QUEENSGUARD and THE SPURNED SUITOR, Dany had already left Meereen.

This was really disappointing for me because I wanted to see a response to the Silver Queen in someone else's viewpoint. Hopefully it will finally happen in the next novel!

I would feel very disappointed if Brienne and Jaime didn't get a chance to reflect on what was going on at the end of 'Dance'. It was a massive step for both of these characters.

ASOIAF isn't just about this intricately woven plot, it is about the characters!

How did you feel about the interplay between CATELYN and TYRION during 'A Game of Thrones'? I thought the character development during this small section of the novel was exceptional. Tyrion had very interesting thoughts regarding Cat and vice versa.

My biggest criticism of 'A Dance With Dragons' was that we still did not get a viewpoint of a character reflected on Dany's actions as they happened. When we finally got THE QUEENSGUARD and THE SPURNED SUITOR, Dany had already left Meereen.

This was really disappointing for me because I wanted to see a response to the Silver Queen in someone else's viewpoint. Hopefully it will finally happen in the next novel!

I would feel very disappointed if Brienne and Jaime didn't get a chance to reflect on what was going on at the end of 'Dance'. It was a massive step for both of these characters.

ASOIAF isn't just about this intricately woven plot, it is about the characters!

Well actually I didn't really enjoy the vale stuff in GOT that much compared to the rest of the story. :P And in any case, I have no problem with there being multiple POV's in one area for small sections of the story. However I don't for example want Theon and Asha both having a POV and staying in the same place the entire book as I don't think it's neccessary. And neither does Martin apparently because as you'll see the only area where there is consistently POV overlap is KL and now Slaver's Bay. Apart from that POV overlap is generally saved for important events. And that is what makes them special.

Well actually I didn't really enjoy the vale stuff in GOT that much compared to the rest of the story.

The Vale, along with the Westerlands is the place we know the less of Westeros...

I really enjoy what happens there too !

Think of where we need POVs:

Storm's End

King's Landing

Sunspear

The Wall

Winterfell

Stannis' Camp

Meereen

The Iron Islands

So far the confirmed POVs are:

Arya (Braavos)

Sansa (The Vale)

Theon (Stannis' Camp)

Arianne (Sunspear)

Aeron Damphair (The Iron Islands)

There are no new POVs coming (except for maybe the prologue and the epilogue, which are never main characters and always die anyway).

All we have in King's Landing is Cersei, so she is definitely getting a chapter, at least till someone else shows up!

Melisandre is most likely the POV at the Wall, unless Jon has somehow survived/been resurrected/has a POV as Ghost.

We have Theon and Asha in Stannis' Camp.

Meereen has Barristan and Tyrion, with Victarion on the way. I'm guessing if Dany has a chapter it'll be with the Dothraki.

As far as I can remember there will be no-one at Storm's End, unless Connington joins Aegon there, but he was just settling back into Griffin's Roost, am I right?

There aren't any POVs in Winterfell now either, though Stannis is nearby. They could send Theon back, I guess?

We haven't heard from Osha and Rickon in quite a while and sending Davos to Skagos is a good indicator that he'll have a chapter so that we can see what's going on.

So, remaining possibles are Jaime and Brienne (who are both in the Riverlands somewhere with Lady Stoneheart), Catelyn herself (though there haven't been any resurrected POVs, and most likely we wouldn't want to read one), Bran (who is well-placed to see what's going on all over the North), Samwell Tarly (in the Citadel in Oldtown), and Areo Hotah (in Sunspear).

I'm just trying to organise it all in my head here!

I want someone in Highgarden ... please? At least a prologue or epilogue ... It would not feel right to never have made a stop there on my sightseeing tour of the Seven Kingdoms :frown5:

I really hope he doesn't introduce any new PoVs. Especially not in some place like KL where we already have Cersei.

i just don't know if Cersi is going to be enough. the comments about one of the sand snakes makes sense. maybe Tyene? she is the one representing Dorne on the small council right? we need to hear whats going on there, and we no longer have Varys, Littlefinger, Kevan, Pycelle, or anyone else to talk about it, so another POV might make sense.

I want someone in Highgarden ... please? At least a prologue or epilogue ... It would not feel right to never have made a stop there on my sightseeing tour of the Seven Kingdoms :frown5:

that would be awesome too. I've always ben curious why we haven't gotten a real look at Highgarden or Casterly Rock. they are both talked about so much, yet we never have anyone visiting Willas in Highgarden, or anyone stopping in The Rock either.

Archived