Wind's Points of View.

Arkash

I suspect that TWOW will not have both Euron and Victarion die. More likely that one or maybe even both will survive; Euron especially has a good chance of making it to the seventh book. One of them is going to continue trying to pull off major schemes even if he is ultimately brought down through a failed battle or revolution on the Iron Isles. What might happen is that most of the main Greyjoys die but one of them survives and remains an important player.

I consider it unlikely that Jon is permanently gone. Most likely in my opinion is that he survives warged into Ghost, although it is possible that he did not die at all (very badly wounded thouh) or did die without warging but will be revived. However, there very well may be some side effects from bringing him back to life, though not like what happened to Catelyn. Regardless of how he comes back, I think it very probable that Melisandre will establish a closer relationship with him in some fashion. Melisandre is likely to survive this book. Odds are good that Jon will finally check the Winterfell crypts this book after Winterfell is retaken.

It also may be that King's Landing finally does change hands in this book. Aegon is a decent candidate but there are other possibilities as well. Even if Aegon does not take King's Landing I doubt he will die near the beginning of the book (though he very well might later on or in book seven). I rate Cersei's chances of survival in this book as basically being a coin flip. At some point she is going to die whether it be in King's Landing or Casterly Rock.

UnCatelyn is likely to be eliminated in some fashion sooner rather than later. Not sure what would happen if she ends up encountering Stannis in the Riverlands. That could be interesting if it transpires.

Things look pretty decent for Margaery's survival on the surface....but there may be some kind of bloodstained plot twist that leads to her death. Perhaps Varys or someone else will help completely seal the fate of the Lannister claim to the kingship by eliminating her in some manner. If she does die it is likely to be through fairly twisted means.

Mayhaps Doran will be assassinated by Darkstar (I mean come on, he must have SOMETHING to do), which leaves the impulsive Arianne in command and free to side with Team Aegon over Team Dany. This would also give Areo something to do before hopefully dying himself. Just pure speculation.

This sounds plausible.

Most Likely Candidates to Die:

• Asha or Theon for obvious reasons
  • Barristan: he has served his purpose and we have three POV's around Meereen already
  • Brienne or Jaime for obvious reasons, my money's on Brienne
  • Damphair: what else could he possibly do other than pull a Maester Cressen on Euron; we will see the true extent of Euron's power
  • Jon Con or Arianne, probably Jon Con

I think Cersei will somehow manage to survive the book, otherwise we are completely shut off from KL. I'm also going to predict that there will be at least one "shocker" death a la Ned/Robb (though at a smaller scale, we don't have many characters like that left). The most likely POV candidates would be Sam and Davos, although a combination of Theon and Jaime might be sufficient "shockers". I also think that a few important non POVs will bite the dust, with Margaery, Stoneheart, and Doran being my guesses. Mayhaps Doran will be assassinated by Darkstar (I mean come on, he must have SOMETHING to do), which leaves the impulsive Arianne in command and free to side with Team Aegon over Team Dany. This would also give Areo something to do before hopefully dying himself. Just pure speculation.

I agree with most of you said for obvious reasons. I just have a comment about Jaime and Cersei. In Cersei's prophecy it is said that she will lose everything, which I take as seeing the death of Tommen and Myrcella. Then there is the part of the prophecy that states she will be killed by her brother. If Jaime were to die it would ruin the mystery of which of Jaime or Tyrion kill Cersei.

I would like to see Barristan stay alive because it would be nice to hear more insight about the past and for him to inform Dany about it.

I just have a comment about Jaime and Cersei. In Cersei's prophecy it is said that she will lose everything, which I take as seeing the death of Tommen and Myrcella. Then there is the part of the prophecy that states she will be killed by her brother. If Jaime were to die it would ruin the mystery of which of Jaime or Tyrion kill Cersei.

I disagree with you, simply on the grounds that I am not yet certain that the valonqar is actually referring to Cersei's brothers by blood.

It could be just over thinking, but I suspect that it would be too easy if it was Tyrion or Jaime. Having it be Jaime is convenient because it gives people the satisfaction of seeing Cersei fall by the hand of the brother she loves, having turned her other brother against her by assuming the valonqar would be Tyrion, and hating him her entire life. But I think it would pull a fast one on Cersei and readers if Jaime was killed, and the valonqar was NOT Tyrion. As soon as Jaime dies, everyone would assume that Tyrion would be the one to kill her, but to be honest, I don't think Tyrion would have it in him to kill his sister. As much as he hates Cersei, I have this inkling that he pities her (or is on his way to pitying her) more than anything.

On a grander scale, I think that pity for Cersei is something that a number of POV characters are beginning to develop, and I think Martin has done an admirable job in placing a more sympathetic light on her. Her death, if it ever comes to fruition, is not one that I anticipate Martin writing in contempt, but rather as an example of how hated a character can be from the very beginning of a story, with everyone wishing she would just die already, and then when the moment finally comes, we realize that she doesn't really deserve death.

:agree:

Most people expect Jaime to be the valonqar, which would make his death even more shocking. I think the volanqar actually refers to Robert's younger brother, Stannis. If you reread Maggy's prophecy, you will notice that she mentions the king, Robert, several times before mentioning the valonqar. I think that Maggy could very possibly have been referring to the the king's little brother, not Cersei's. It would be somewhat poetic for Cersei to be finally brought down by the brother of the man she married but never wanted and ultimately ended up indirectly murdering. It's slightly far-fetched, but I think Jaime as the valonqar would be too obvious.

:agree:

Most people expect Jaime to be the valonqar, which would make his death even more shocking. I think the volanqar actually refers to Robert's younger brother, Stannis. If you reread Maggy's prophecy, you will notice that she mentions the king, Robert, several times before mentioning the valonqar. I think that Maggy could very possibly have been referring to the the king's little brother, not Cersei's. It would be somewhat poetic for Cersei to be finally brought down by the brother of the man she married but never wanted and ultimately ended up indirectly murdering. It's slightly far-fetched, but I think Jaime as the valonqar would be too obvious.

That's a very interesting way to think of it. I never thought of it being Stannis that was the Valonqar.

As POVs merge, you would hope he only keeps one. Barristan emerged as a POV because Dany left, but you have to hope only one of the threads continues when they meet up again, that being Dany as much as I like the guy-even more likely to disappear because Tyrion seems about to join them as well.

There is no reason to have Jaime and Brienne when they are traveling together.

Melisandre was probably only a one time view, but might be an interlude again.

Asha and Theon are about to separate it seems so don't see how those can be combined. As for the other Iron Men, it seems like Victarion will have to take up a couple chapters, but Damphair really isn't in what I consider a key location, and I hope he is gone for good.

Jon Connington won't need additional POVs once Arianne is with him. I guess Hotah will get a few chapters, like when they recieve news of Quentynn's death and possibly something to do with Darkstar and Swann.

But, it still looks like a cumbersome list, and you have to wonder how much plot can actually progress when you are using so many POVs and you have a page limit.

I really hope Barristan isn't the POV to die... If he went all the way to Meereen just to die with Dany I would be so pissed.

At least let him die in battle, not by getting double crossed by the shavepate.

I would also love to see Barristan's reaction of Tyrion and Jorah Mormont showing up... I love Barristan, but he is a pretty damn self righteous and we know how much he hates Mormont... I can only imagine how pissed he'd be to see Tyrion joining with Dany

That being said... I see a major character dying in this next book. Perhaps Davos, unfortunately, i just have a bad feeling about him

I would hate if Barristan died in tWoW too, especially if it was from political movements. We already saw that he politics isn't something that he is too good at and it would really suck if he was betrayed by someone. I also would like to see his reaction to Tyrion and Mormont. It will be interesting to see which major character(s) die.

Mayhaps Doran will be assassinated by Darkstar (I mean come on, he must have SOMETHING to do), which leaves the impulsive Arianne in command and free to side with Team Aegon over Team Dany. This would also give Areo something to do before hopefully dying himself. Just pure speculation.

I'd like Doran to die naturally, there are not enough natural deaths in the story.

I fully expect Jaime and/or Brienne, at least one Greyjoy, at least one Meereenese POV and at least one other major player to be on the block in the next book. I don't think, however, that the POVs list has to be bloated. Characters like Areo might not have a chapter, or have only one. Depending on how compact the plots are, it's possible to have a decent arc in only a handful of chapters (think Davos in Dance).

ETA: Oh and yes we will be hearing from Jon, I'd be shocked otherwise.

I'd like Doran to die naturally, there are not enough natural deaths in the story.

Hoster is the only one that comes to mind. Hmmm.. I agree Doran should die a natural death.

I think Jon will have a POV, but late in the book. I expect he'll be warged for quite some time, though I have no idea what will happen to get unwarged. I too expect a lot of "major" deaths this book. Brienne, maybe Barristan, a Greyjoy or two, I doubt Cersei but it would not surprise me.

That's the fun of her POVs. We readers have to pay attention to what is real and subtext, not only what Cersei thinks.

Usually in the series, the POVs have one arc inside the book, except the ones that are called by their title. So, which characters will have full arcs in this book and which will only describe what's happening around them? Will Damphair and Arienne become major POVs?

And the only Sand Snake I'm interested as a POV is Obara, since there is no one near her at the moment.

One of the things I enjoyed much with Cersei's POV in Feast for Crows is how her washerwomen were shrinking her old gowns. The obvious truth is that she is getting fat and will not admit it to herself, due to her ego blindness. I laughed when I read that the first time.

I am not sure, but I think there are three references in that book alone to her getting fat, or there may be more in the DwD book I am counting.

I wonder...if we do loose a King's Landing POV with Cersie finally meeting her overdue and well deserved end....might it be a captain or other officer within the holy army which she helped resurrect?

I also think Lyanna Mormont may become an important character soon...she did after all reply to Stannis while he wrote several other northmen.

I've got a feeling Cersei will not go away for quite some time yet. I also don't think Jaime will die in TWOW, though I wouldn't bet my money on Brienne. We'll be hearing from Jon for sure, but I can't tell if it would be a POV again. One of Greyjoys may die, I wouldn't mind if it was Victariion trying to tame the dragon.

Theon will not die though, at least not immediately after what we read in a gift chapter, it would be too obvious. Davos still has an important role to play as well, but after that? It's possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw completely unexpected death of a major character as well. Another of Stark children, perhaps? Varys? Littlefinger?

Theon might get executed in front of the weirwood to heal/revive Jon and he might accept it as well. There is no place for him after escaping from Winterfell, and it would bring some redemption/closure to his arc.

I expect Tyrion to die for shock value.

I expect Tyrion to die for shock value.

Yes, that would be a shock indeed, provided Tyrion has the biggest number of chapters so far and GRRM admited he's one of his favourite characters. But I'm not saying it's completely out of question, there's no such thing in ASOIAF I guess. The question is: what could be the point of potential Tyrion's death? Cos I don't believe a "shock value" would be enough. But it's worth discussing.

Archived