Wind's Points of View.

Arkash

I want to know what is the point of Areo Hotah's POV?

It must have a purpose, to tell us things we couldn't know absent other POVS. Couldn't Arienne cover everything Hotah needs? Same with Oakheart, I never understood the need for his POV either.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading them. The oranges chapter from AFFC was so cool, but I want to see him in action. Is he really just our only eye on Doran Martell? Is that it?

It is true that Arianne could have covered just about everything, but I think it was necessary to have a few other POVs in Dorne to show that there are conflicting views about what needs to be done, and how to do it. Arianne is a highly biased character, and seeing everything from her perspective is a lot like having only Cersei's eyes in King's Landing. Having Areo Hotah gives us a sense of Doran Martell's stability and calm, but without forfeiting Doran's secret marriage pacts between his children and the Targaryens early on. Oakheart was less necessary plot-wise, but I think it is essential that we saw Arianne through him, because it allows us to understand how influential and manipulative Arianne can be, while with Cersei's POVs, we are highly suspicious of how successful her seduction tactics are.

The main character I'd like to know of the whereabouts is the Blackfish.

Me too! This should also shed light on Jeyne Westerling (others have postulated elsewhere that she may have also escaped along with him). We haven't had a real eye on the Riverlands since Catelyn and Co. left for the Red Wedding (besides Jaime showing up to break the siege). I think he would make an excellent POV character, much like Selmy, he is already incredibly likable in the reader's eyes.

Very good point. He may drop some of those POV's altogether (and a few will die I would think). It'll be interesting to see if GRRM gives 2 chapter to Asha and 2 to Theon or all of them to Theon.. The distribution of chapters amongnst POV's who are near each other could go a lot of different ways.

I also agree with the poster who says a KL POV other than Cersei may be necessary. As we saw from Feast she is very unreliable as a narrator because everyone lies to her (and she's ignorant of this so many readers will miss that).

Very good point. He may drop some of those POV's altogether (and a few will die I would think). It'll be interesting to see if GRRM gives 2 chapter to Asha and 2 to Theon or all of them to Theon.. The distribution of chapters amongnst POV's who are near each other could go a lot of different ways.

I also agree with the poster who says a KL POV other than Cersei may be necessary. As we saw from Feast she is very unreliable as a narrator because everyone lies to her (and she's ignorant of this so many readers will miss that).

Jamie may return to KL perhaps with Sansa. Or more likely Connington will be there with Arianne

Since now many POVs hang out with each other (Theon/Asha; Barristan/Tyrion - and soon enough Victarion and Daenerys; Jaime and Brienne; eventually Arianne and Connington), I'm not that convinced that many have to die. There can be fewer POVs of each character but still the same amount of chapters. Just as the beginning of the story in Winterfell (and later in KL) was told from various POVs.

And it's also quite possible that there are simply no more POVs from some character. Say, like no more Brienne chapters. No more Hotah chapters (since what happens in Sunspear is now no longer important). Although I have to admit I'd like seeing Doran's reaction from Areo's POV when he learns about Quentyn's death.

Am I the only person who wants Aegon to be a PoV character? This guy is supposedly a Targaryen who has appeared out of nowhere, and at this rate will be sitting on the Iron Throne (at least temporarily) very soon. I'd like to see inside his head.

Yes, no other King or Queen than Cersei had PoV, and Cersei didnt get hers as a Queen, but as a Regent. Dany is just a ruler of a city and Khaleesi.

For the rest, nobody had PoV:

Robert Baratheon.

Joffrey Lannistheon.

Stannis Baratheon.

Robb Stark.

Mance Rayder.

Renly Baratheon.

Tommen Lannistheon.

Balon Greyjoy.

Euron Crow's Eye Greyjoy.

Margaery Tyrell.

Jeyne Westerling.

Selyse Florent.

And this is one of the things that makes me wonder about Jon or Dany becoming King or Queen.

Does anybody else think it significant that Martin published Daenerys' chapters as separate novellas as well? I initially took that to mean Dany was supposed to be the eventual queen, but perhaps that changed as the story expanded.

He could, but he literally hasn't killed anybody in twelve years. Well, except for Jon Snow, but it hardly counts if you come back to life. The man needs to commit. To genocide, like.

Oh I'm not saying that. I can't wait for the next slaughter. I'm just saying that there are other ways to get rid of PoV's than kill off half the protagonists in the first 50 pages.

Well even if certain characters are killed off, chances are they are going to have a PoV in Winds of Winter, just not very many (because they'll be dead late in the book).

If he decides to add one, I would say that a Greywater Watch PoV would be most likely. Howland Reed could be a real game changer, and not just because of R+L=J, but also because he's the only known character who's visited the Isle of Faces, perhaps the most sacred site in the Old God faith. Who knows what he learned from the Green Men and how it could be applied to the current situation.

Yeah, you don't have to kill off a POV just to get rid of it, especially since so many are converging now. He just needs to figure out what he needs to show instead of including everything he wants to show. I suspect many of the POVs would have never been published and many of the chapters that did get published in ADwD would never have been included if they had actually tried to publish the time period as one book instead of two. The problem going forward is that all the POVs should be published together if you want a cohesive and complete story, and several just have to go away if they want to do that and keep plot.

Archived