NFL Championship Games

Stego

Are there Jets fans who wish Belichick coached their team? I know the answer, I just want to get some of you fuckers on record. ;)

Im a G-man fan, but the Jets are def my 2nd fav. I most def hate/want Belichick. However Brady can go fuck himself (I want Peyton)

The only charge left is that he has created Belichick speak in where nothing of interest or even human sounding is ever conveyed by him or his players, but even that is mollified by the fact that I don't think anyone thinks he's dull anymore after Bill Belichick: A Football Life.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but this special bored the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but the guy is not personally compelling on any level. Worst Head Coach interview in the game today. I don't know why the media even bothers showing up at his pressers. He's dry white toast personified.

I don't get all the Pats respect here, either. This team hasn't beaten anybody. The three playoff caliber defenses they faced during the regular season all held them to 20 pts or under. I see no reason why Baltimore shouldn't win this game.

I hope your right, but I doubt that the Baltimore D can stop Brady, hey anybody noticed how bad GB cheated! like 10 fucking times! I got no idea how we still won

I agree with everything else you wrote, but this special bored the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but the guy is not personally compelling on any level. Worst Head Coach interview in the game today. I don't know why the media even bothers showing up at his pressers. He's dry white toast personified.

I don't care if he is personally compelling or entertaining as an interview. I want my coach to out coach the other team - be entertaining by providing a great game plan and preparing your players so that they can execute it. Being entertaining or letting leak out a foot fetish video isn't what gets the job done. If Harbaugh never said another entertaining thing but the team kept on winning - that's fine.

I don't care if he is personally compelling or entertaining as an interview. I want my coach to out coach the other team - be entertaining by providing a great game plan and preparing your players so that they can execute it. Being entertaining or letting leak out a foot fetish video isn't what gets the job done. If Harbaugh never said another entertaining thing but the team kept on winning - that's fine.

Agreed, I'm just disagreeing with Jaime L's assertion that "A Football Life" made Belichick seem interesting or entertaining. I use that special like Ambien.

I actually like the interviews he does on the local Patriots tv shows and the sports radio here. All of the Patriot press conferences are pretty dry - players and coach ones. If it wasn't for Welker livening it up now and then and Matt Light's radio stuff, it would be fairly boring.

I am a life long Pats fan and I remember the 3-13 seasons and the blackouts and never want to go back.

That's fair. Different strokes for different folks.

For me, I've come to find the guy endlessly interesting and part of it is you need that bit of controversy to make a guy an interesting figure. For him, between Spygate, the FU Pats running up the score, the Kremlin like secrecy surrounding the team, there's that second side to the consistent greatness. And part of what makes him even more interesting, ironically is the failure of all his lieutenants when they go elsewhere, the pocket dictators that got set up in Cleveland, New York and Denver that tried to bring their version of the Pats way to other organization and flamed out brilliantly. Look now at that story in KC alledging Pioli has set up sound recording devices to spy on his own employees. That's some cold war shit right there, but it also makes the Chiefs more interesting than they've been all year.

There's a brilliance there in so many areas: in-game strategy, drafting, inspiring loyalty, the way he's evolved his entire approach to offense to fit all the rule changes. Genius gets tossed around way too frequently in the NFL, but he's the one guy I have to say "yeah, he pretty much is".

And that's what made "A Football Life" so interesting to me because you see him interacting with players and the genuine respect he has for some guys, affection he has for his own, and the shit he gives others, I think back to the Freddy Mitchell anecdote from the Eagles-Pats superbowl. It also gives a window into the emotion he never shows during pressers, like being pissed off at Randy Moss for dogging it or admitting where he's been outcoached. A guy who shows nothing is interesting when you know there's so much going on underneath the surface.

I don't want Belichick to coach my team, whatever that team is these days. I think he cheats and is a disgrace to the game.

It's not the Chargers anymore?

I don't get all the Pats respect here, either. This team hasn't beaten anybody. The three playoff caliber defenses they faced during the regular season all held them to 20 pts or under. I see no reason why Baltimore shouldn't win this game.

Denver was a playoff caliber defense. They were the only reason the team was actually in games late enough for Tebow to remember how to complete a pass. And they were massacred.

The Pats defense sucks, but the offense is phenomenal. The only negative (and it's barely a negative) there is that so were Green Bay and New Orleans. And they were both slowed/stopped by a dominant defense.

On the other hand, the Patriots have shown that unless you give them new looks on defense, they have your old ones figured out and will destroy you for insulting them with that old bullshit.

Has word on Ed Reed's injury come out yet?

Funnily enough, I want Peyton for the Jets too.

Eli too:

It would be fun,” Eli tells WEPN-AM, via NFL.com. “We could probably commute to work maybe, and, you know, come home, eat dinner together and have the kids be playing.”

Eli then continued to have fun with the possibility of sharing a city with his sibling: “Twin beds . . . we could share notes on opponents and watch some film together.”

The Ravens have won a lot of ugly games. But none of those ugly games have been against great quarterbacks - look at the regular season and I guess the best one they faced was Rivers, a game the Ravens lost because they laid fat eggs on the road at times. It's really been a feast or famine pass rush, going from sacking Roethlisberger like a billion times in the season opener to getting not much pressure in some of the games they have lost.

When it comes down to picking the game, I think that the Patriots will have an easier time stopping the Ravens' lone offensive weapon - Ray Rice - than the Ravens will have stopping the plethora of weapons that the Pats have to bring. Pats D did not play well, but can Flacco take advantage for a whole game? If Brady's slinging the ball all across the field, can the Ravens offense keep up in the shootout? I just don't see it happening. I see Brady getting the TEs in the middle of the field pretty much all day, and I don't see the Cam Cameron boring offense making necessary adaptations to turn up the juice, and once this situation plays out there'll be an offseason of angst in Baltimore about whether it's Cameron or Flacco who's the problem.

Wait, didn't you pick the Ravens to beat the Pats in the AFC title game?

Not that I disagree or anything, but I want to tress in the last two weeks all the Pats did was beat, potentially, the second-worse playoff team ever. The Pats secondary is still so bad that it could not cover a bed with twelve sheets.

I just want to keep this all in perspective as I start sticking needles in my Joe Flacco doll.

Yes, I absolutely thought the Pats were done. And then I watched those games last weekend. Baltimore is bad. And Spikes, Chung, Arrington, and the offensive line are all healthy. Different team.

As a fan of a team whose defense regularly forgets about legit pass-catching threats at TE, I know how easy it can be.

He had the best season a TE has ever had in the NFL. A season that Gates and Gonzalez in their prime would die for.

ETA: I don't think he's as good as his numbers suggest he is, btw. I think Brady just doesn't spread the ball around enough anymore.

The Pats defense sucks, but the offense is phenomenal. The only negative (and it's barely a negative) there is that so were Green Bay and New Orleans. And they were both slowed/stopped by a dominant defense.

That's barely a negative? All of the other teams remaining have some balance between offense and defense. I'd say that's a fairly important distinction.

They're offense is looking better than it had and they beat a better than average Denver defense easily. The Defense has improved - it doesn't have to be "good", it just has to be better than it had been midseason and it is. Baltimore can slow down the Pats offense, but the Pats defense can do the same to the Baltimore offense. Reducing their effectiveness still means they can put up mid 20s, which against the Baltimore offense is enough.

Archived