And the Iron Thrones goes to...

Lady Octarina

Aegon is too easy, and I expect something awful to happen to him, like getting exposed as a fake or something.

A fake what? Blackfyres are Targaryens too, you know, and legitimate heirs to the Iron Throne. See Henry Tudor.

Plus if either of the two remaining dragons takes a liking to him, it won’t matter.

A fake what? Blackfyres are Targaryens too, you know, and legitimate heirs to the Iron Throne. See Henry Tudor.

Plus if either of the two remaining dragons takes a liking to him, it won’t matter.

But then he won't be Rhaegar's son, losing the best claim, and unless a dragon chooses him or something, he has no chance of winning.

Even if Aegon is eventually exposed as being a fake he has some hope of achieving notable political and military successed before that happens and proceeds to take too much of a toll. He is extremely suspicious but it would be difficult to rapidly find a way of proving he is false. Much of the Westerosi aristocracy exhibited a high level of tolerance for the Lannister lies and ineptness so it will take something fairly substantial to completely wreck Aegon's prospects if he scores some kind of major success against the Tyrell/Lannister combination. I think he has a considerable chance of dying some point in the story, though probably not before late TWOW or ADOS. If it happens too early then Varys's plan flops and Varys becomes less important and will appear less competent (even though he can only do so much to protect Aegon). I wonder whether the first non-Lannister monarch in King's Landing will actually be the series's final ruler. There is the possibility that the city will change hands again for whatever reason. The Faith Militant will be a serious problem for any king (even if the person follows the Seven) considering the way that it wants to exercise such enormous political clout. It may be disarmed again but the cost is going to be very high before that happens. It is even possible, though unlikely, that it could exercise political control over King's Landing for a time.

There is some possibility that Sansa might end up as the queen of Westeros at the series's conclusion.

Sansa yes, but not if Jon becomes king. The only way Sansa ends up queen is if Tyrion becomes king, or if she marries Aegon or Stannis. The Aegon pairing seems most likely, but there's a small thought in the recesses of my mind that is shouting for an Arya - Aegon marriage as the second coming of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

Sansa might be a candidate, but not for the Iron throne, I believe. Maybe, if Westeros is divided like many seem to believe (myself included, most of the times), I think Sansa could be queen to the Eyrie and the Riverlands (because, really, I can't take Edmure or the Frey married to Genna seriously), but not of the North - unless Rickon dies or proves to be too impredictable to have as a ruler.

There is no such prophesy. The only prophesy is that gold shall be their crowns and gold shall be their shrouds.

Gold shall be their crowns, and gold their shrouds. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

It's heavily implied that she will die after mourning her three children.

But then he won't be Rhaegar's son, losing the best claim, and unless a dragon chooses him or something, he has no chance of winning.

Exactly, Aegon's significance is that he's a direct line from the last Targeryan king. If he's a Blackfyre, while he would have some claim to the throne, it wouldn't be very significant and be substantially outranked by Dany's.

Personally I think he's going to either be exposed as a fraud (which there is some evidence to support) or be killed well before he can take the Iron Throne. I seriously doubt GRRM would of waited until the 5th book to introduce what would ultimately become the most significant character in Westeros.

You know what would make even more sense, and is right in line with GRRM's storytelling philosophy? That all this political maneavering and painstaking detail to building alliances and mustering forces, will ultimately be rendered pointless once the Others are unleashed onto Westeros. Maybe what GRRM is trying to show is how self-obsessed all of these kingdoms have become, that they are completely oblivious to the darkness gathering at their gates. You think people remember who were the lord and kingdoms of Westeros before the Long Night? No, but they remembered who survived, and rebuilt - The Stark's.

If I had to pick a King, it would be Stannis, since he's proven himself strong-willed and just-minded (to a fault). But I can't see that happening, since he has no heir, and very little support south of the Neck. Dany might have the numbers, but she's proven herself a poor and indescisive leader. I reckon we'll see the Seven Kingdoms break apart again, to where they were before Aegon's Landing.

You know what would make even more sense, and is right in line with GRRM's storytelling philosophy? That all this political maneavering and painstaking detail to building alliances and mustering forces, will ultimately be rendered pointless once the Others are unleashed onto Westeros. Maybe what GRRM is trying to show is how self-obsessed all of these kingdoms have become, that they are completely oblivious to the darkness gathering at their gates. You think people remember who were the lord and kingdoms of Westeros before the Long Night? No, but they remembered who survived, and rebuilt - The Stark's.

If I had to pick a King, it would be Stannis, since he's proven himself strong-willed and just-minded (to a fault). But I can't see that happening, since he has no heir, and very little support south of the Neck. Dany might have the numbers, but she's proven herself a poor and indescisive leader. I reckon we'll see the Seven Kingdoms break apart again, to where they were before Aegon's Landing.

Actually, that sounds pretty likely. It goes with the whole nihilism theme that GRRM's been building up.

Well if the R+L=J theroy is right, then Jon Snow (or should I say Jon Targaryen) would be a logical choice. He doesn't have any children yet, but he's still plenty young enough.

GOD DAMN IT STOP SAYING THAT!!

If Jon Snow is the son of Rhagaer, it won't make a damn difference. Rhagaer was never married to Lyanna, and therefore Jon Snow is still a bastard and will remain so. The only difference this theory of R+L=J will make is that Jon Snow will be called Jon Waters, which is pretty lame.

Jon considers himself a Stark, although he doesn't have the name. His father will always be Ned Stark. And hey if Jon accepts the legitimization from King Stannis he will be Lord Jon of House Stark, Warden of the North. Or maybe King in the North.

The only difference this theory of R+L=J will make is that Jon Snow will be called Jon Waters, which is pretty lame.

Haha, that is true... the only way Jon can get the throne (and I sure as hell dont want this to happen) is by conquest !

GOD DAMN IT STOP SAYING THAT!!

If Jon Snow is the son of Rhagaer, it won't make a damn difference. Rhagaer was never married to Lyanna, and therefore Jon Snow is still a bastard and will remain so. The only difference this theory of R+L=J will make is that Jon Snow will be called Jon Waters, which is pretty lame.

Jon considers himself a Stark, although he doesn't have the name. His father will always be Ned Stark. And hey if Jon accepts the legitimization from King Stannis he will be Lord Jon of House Stark, Warden of the North. Or maybe King in the North.

Why from Stannis? Why not from Ned himself? Don't forget that Ned was for a very brief time regent of Joffrey, he was a rightful ruler of seven kingdoms. He could've legitimized Jon right there and parchment may still see daylight.

Many think that Rhaegar did actually marry Lyanna. The main argument is that the Kinsguard wouldn't have stayed at the Tower of Joy otherwise.

The problem is that all the political menoeuvring and painstaking detail to building alliances and mustering forces are what makes this series interesting, while the Others stuff is just by the rote evil race invasion which appears in every other fantasy novel off the shelf. If all of the stuff that makes the series unique and interesting is window dressing to the basic fantasy fare, the series may well dive off a cliff.

Many think that Rhaegar did actually marry Lyanna. The main argument is that the Kinsguard wouldn't have stayed at the Tower of Joy otherwise.

This, times twelve. I would speculate that it may not matter if they were married or not though. After the Dance of the Dragons, the Targaryens made a practice of excluding all female claimants until the source of potential male heirs has been exhausted. This INCLUDES collateral relations. So Rhaegar's son Aegon is first in line, followed by any other sons he has (i.e., Jon). Then Viserys, followed by Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys, and THEN Daenerys. I am of the camp that believes Rhaegar DID marry Lyanna, but I'm not sure if Jon being a bastard would make a difference.

We might also think back to ACOK, when Dany sees Rhaegar speaking with Elia about his son's name and destiny... He says in that conversation that the dragon has three heads and needs one more (i.e., it has two when the conversation is taking place). I reckon Elia was unable to become pregnant after the birth of Aegon (probably for health reasons, as we know she was very frail), and this was Rhaegar impressing on her the importance of having a third child. The three heads were to be Rhaenys, Aegon, and the third, presumably Jon. During the Battle of the Trident, Rhaegar's other two children were assumed safe in King's Landing, but Jon would have been vulnerable had he and Lyanna been left alone at the Tower of Joy. Where Jon would have been second in line when his father died, this would be a serious risk to the continuation of Rhaegar's dynasty, as well as to the three-headed dragon idea, and the notion of Jon being the Prince that was Promised. Thus, the Kingsguard stays behind, while Rhaegar goes to fight Robert.

Sidebar... Imagine how pissed Daenerys will be when she finds out about Aegon and Jon. And god forbid Rhaenys pops up somewhere, pushing her to fourth in the line of succession. Assuming that Aegon is really Aegon, anyway.

This, times twelve. I would speculate that it may not matter if they were married or not though. After the Dance of the Dragons, the Targaryens made a practice of excluding all female claimants until the source of potential male heirs has been exhausted. This INCLUDES collateral relations. So Rhaegar's son Aegon is first in line, followed by any other sons he has (i.e., Jon). Then Viserys, followed by Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys, and THEN Daenerys. I am of the camp that believes Rhaegar DID marry Lyanna, but I'm not sure if Jon being a bastard would make a difference.

It would make a difference if Aegon is fake or if he dies, or something...

It would make a difference if Aegon is fake or if he dies, or something...

Aegon beds 'The Dragonslut' or 'The Mother of STD:s', gets aids and dies.

Also, I've thought about the dragons; I think that Viserion will choose Aegon, because he will try to do what Viserys failed: to retake the iron throne. Aegon will fail at this as well. Drogon has already chosen Daenarys: Drogon is wild.....well...so is Dany. Rhaegal will choose Jon: simply because he really is his fathers son (If R+L=J) and also because he KICKS ASS!

And is Theon really...cockless? Poor Theon, being called Theon Turncloak and Theon Cockless......Boltons blades really are sharp....

Archived