And the Iron Thrones goes to...

Lady Octarina

Martin has said before he sees a "bittersweet" ending for this series, plus the title of the last book was originaly "A Time for Wolves". I think it's likely to be a Stark, I'm guessing Sansa, likely with all the other starks being dead making it pretty bittersweet. I can definitely see Littlefinger getting the throne at the end, marrying Sansa, and then Sansa finally takes him out and as Queen she becomes the ruler.

Could be. I belive that Littlefinger is the giant on the spike the fortune teller saw. I want to see Sansa get her Texas Chainsaw Revenge on Cersie too.

- Daenerys: as far as we know she can't have any more children. I know many people think (or hope) Mirri Maz Duur was lying when she said that, but I don't think so.

My only hesitation with that is, it has never been clear to me that Mirri Maz Duur actually prophesied that Daenerys would never have more children.

If Mirri Maz Duur actually did prophesy, then it was cryptic. Daenerys interpreted the prophecy to mean that she was barren: but as we've seen over and over in these books, the first obvious interpretation of a prophecy is usually wrong. This Citadel page and comments articulate my opinion on this:

http://www.westeros....cies/Entry/1799

If it's a prophecy, then Daenerys could be barren. Or there could be some bizarre events / portents that have to happen before she gets pregnant again.

The other possibility is that Mirri Maz Duur was not prophesying at all. Maybe she was just speaking as a vindictive bitch. When will Drogo return? Never! And then listing a whole bunch of things, each more insulting than the last. That was honestly how I read that speech at the time, and I was surprised that Dany gave it so much credit.

Martin has said before he sees a "bittersweet" ending for this series,

GRRM also said that he will disappoint some of his fans "because they are making theories about who will finally take the throne: who would live, who would die...and they even imagine romantic pairings." Even though he will disappoint some of his fans, he thinks "the great majority of [his] readers would be happy with the ending."

plus the title of the last book was originaly "A Time for Wolves". I think it's likely to be a Stark, I'm guessing Sansa, likely with all the other starks being dead making it pretty bittersweet. I can definitely see Littlefinger getting the throne at the end, marrying Sansa, and then Sansa finally takes him out and as Queen she becomes the ruler.

He said A Time for Wolves was just a "working title" and changed it to A Dream of Spring coz he thinks it's "a better title."

I haven't read all the posts yet..but someone had posted on FB page that GRRM stated the ending of series is bittersweet. so trying to figure out who would make it bittersweet? Stannis? NEVERMIND I JUST READ THE POST ABOVE AFTER POSTING MY POST. AND NOW I'M EVEN MORE FRIGHTENED SINCE GRRM STATED FANS WOULD BE DISAPPOINTED. AND THAT HIS READERS WILL BE HAPPY. I think Im a fan. :bawl:

GRRM told us that many will sit on the Iron Throne (and die/loose it) till the end of the series.

I'm thinking that Tommen, (f)Aegon and Dany will all die after having the throne. It will probably end with Jon Snow having it.

Here is how I see it going, in the next two books. I havent figured out how all of it will end but this is how i see it going.

Kat- I think she finally get her revenge on the Freys. I see her and the BWB managing to put the Twins to seige. I think it would be really cool if they break down the gates. Then Nymeria and her massive pack of wolves storm through the twins. They kill and eat all of the Frey's, and Nymeria slowly tears Walder apart piece by piece.

Sansa- Finally learns to play the game. She manages to trick littlefinger into thinking he has won over the vale lords. Then somehow in a turn of events has him thrown from the moondoor.

Bran- Delves deeper into the caves. He find out that the Others are actually children of the forest. That when the FM originally waged war against the children, the children split into two factions. One that wanted peace and one that wanted war. The Children that wanted peace won over the majority of their brethren, and treated with the FM. The chlidren that wanted war escaped to the frozen north. Their they waited and plotted their revenge on the FM and the Children. Now that men are weak and the children are almost dead they are marching again. His story ends with him finding the truth, but is powerless to stop them.

Benjen- we find out that he is coldhands. He was wounded by the others, but not killed. He stumbled into the cave of the children wounded. They were able to make him not become a wight, but in the process he is still undead.

Littlefinger- he plays his last game thinking that he has won over the vale. Sansa tricks him and the lords declarant toss him out the moondoor.

Jon- I think his will be the one with the most twists. I believe they go to burn his body. Then find that the flames actually heal his wounds. he arrizes out of the flames with his sword flaming, and body replenished. Mel realizes that she has been wrong about stannis all along and throws herself from the top of the wall becoming a wight. Jon then takes the rest of the nights watch and wildlings and begins to march south abandoning the wall. The wall is abandoned because the ships he sent norht were captured by the others and are transporting their army around the wall. His forces engage the boltons, helping stannis defeat them. Howland reed shows up explaining his true parentage, and he is declared king in the north. Stannis is distraught hearing the news of mel, and the fact that nobody ever wants him as king. He snaps and head north to die. Jon then fortifies winterfell and digs in for the major seige by the others.

Stannis- Hearing the news of mel and that nobody wants him as a king he snaps. He heads north were he finds the undead mel. She convinces him to treat with the others, their he becomes the nights king. He then leads the others in their march south

Jaime- Breinne takes him to LS. While there she forces him to fight Brienne to the death. Jaime and brienne deal death blows to each other.........I think this will be the end to his redemption and him paying for all of his broken vows.

Hound- he is the grave digger. He fights his undead brother on the side of the faith. He overcomes his fear of fire casting it aside. He kills his undead brother with a sword dipped in wildfire. He then goes on to live the rest of his life as a pious monk.

Cersei- She loses her head after her champion is defeated. a fitting death for someone who always thought she had the power.

Tyrells- margerry is still found guilty of her crimes. This starts a huge battle in kings landing between the tyrells and lannisters. In the end they pretty much wipe each other out leaving kings landing a smoking pile of ashes.

Tyrion- sails back to westeros with danny. They find kings landing a smoking ruin, and turn north to fight the others. After the others are defeated with dragons and fire, tyrion assumes control of casterly rock.

Jorah- dies at the final battle with the others.

Danny- shows up to a destroyed westeros. She marches north with her army and her dragons to help fight the real threat. At the battle of winterfell she helps defeat the others. She then sails back to slavers bay vowing to restore Valyria and leave the andals and first men to themselves.......I just dont see her fitting in as the quen of westeros after all she has done in essos.

Arya- not really sure about her.....I think she gets revenge, but I really dont like her storyline.

Theon- Captures Ramsey Bolton and flays him alive for all the crimes he has done. He then fights in the final battle and is killed by the others.

It is still a work in progress, and really just fantasies about how I would like it to end. I honestly think nobody can predict what will happen, because GRRM is not very predictable. In the end I think it ends just how it begins. Nobody really wins and nobody really loses.

I honestly have no idea how to answer the "who will sit on the Iron Throne" question. The problem being that I'm just so 50/50 on Aegon and whether or not he's really Aegon. What I'd like to happen is for:

North: Rickon

Vale: Harry the Heir/Sansa

Riverlands: Edmure Tully (after supporting the rightful side, whomever that may be in whatever war for the throne

Iron Islands: Theon with Asha as his heir

Westerlands: Tyrion

Reach: Margaery, since Loras is KG and assuming her brothers die in the inevitable war vs Aegon/Dorne

Dorne: Arianne

Storm's End: Gendry, after legitimization by Stannis

Crownlands: Aegon, I really hope he's the rel deal.

Sansa Stark, it is known. Martin has slowly been grooming her to become a master mind and wisest of them all. Does anyone have an idea which is her prototype from the Wars of the Roses? I know Elizabeth the First is way after it but for some reason I find a connection between her and Sansa hence why Sansa will be Queen for a long time, she will not marry, and rule on her own.

GRRM also said that he will disappoint some of his fans "because they are making theories about who will finally take the throne: who would live, who would die...and they even imagine romantic pairings." Even though he will disappoint some of his fans, he thinks "the great majority of [his] readers would be happy with the ending."

He said A Time for Wolves was just a "working title" and changed it to A Dream of Spring coz he thinks it's "a better title."

Someone the show viewers would hate but the book readers would love to see win the IT? Sounds like Stannis to me.

Honestly, I have no clue anymore. Whoever is left will be inheriting a burnt and decimated Kingdom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I believe one must consider GRRMs personality in this. Look at all the interviews he has given and he makes no bones that Tyrion Lanister is his favorite character. Look at Tyrion as sort of an outcast, looked down upon for more than his lack of physical stature but any who have read the books know changing as the stroy doesand developing more of a moral compass as all the rest selfdestruct. I believe this is GRRMs own persona in a character he sees himself as in many ways. It doesn't take a genius to see GRRM as as being an outcast himself in real life by his mannerisms and demeanor I love the guy but he seems to have introvert and socially challenged wrote all over him and I have worked many years in menatal health profession and seen many individuals with the same characteristics. Remeber Tyrions Quote about "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things" GRRM seems to have built solid stroy lines around what would be percieved as the weakest and meekest characters and what famous book is it says? " the meek will inherit the earth". I believe in the end it could be a Tyrion or a John Snow or Danerys that end up with it all after all the morally flawed and stronger factions have killed off eachother. I personally am hoping for Tyrion because he is my favorite character too.

Jon will remain on the Wall. Dany and Aegon will perish in a war with one another. Stannis will perish in the war with the Others. Edric Storm (Robert's true born son) will take the throne with LF or Varys as his hand. Edric is a bastard, but is Baratheon on one side and Florent on the other. He is highborn enough to take the throne.

This is not the way I want it, but knowing GRRM, I am starting to get this kind of a feeling.

I believe Stannis will be king!

This isn't how I want things to turn out but fits both Martin's bittersweet ending and the theme the prophecy bites you in the butt! I a firm believer that prophecy bites you in the butt through being devastatingly accurate and simply being misread by those who perceive (Mel's vision of Renly winning the battle at King's Landing, the vision came to pass it was the understanding of the situation that was perceived incorrectly!)

Now divining who will be king/queen from visions we have first hand knowledge we simply have to look at Dany' s visions in The House of the Undying, a blue eyed king who casts no shadow which is probably a reference to Stannis and the only instance (other than Cersei being told her children shall be crowned prior to their deaths) where a vision in the books has specifically referred to being a vision of a king and was not given much heed by Dany as is was a collection of one of her fleeting visions and was buried deep within more pronounced visions of her own greatness/great deeds but despite crowning herself Queen of Meereen she has had no visions of herself as a queen!

I believe Stannis will be king!

This isn't how I want things to turn out but fits both Martin's bittersweet ending and the theme the prophecy bites you in the butt! I a firm believer that prophecy bites you in the butt through being devastatingly accurate and simply being misread by those who perceive (Mel's vision of Renly winning the battle at King's Landing, the vision came to pass it was the understanding of the situation that was perceived incorrectly!)

Now divining who will be king/queen from visions we have first hand knowledge we simply have to look at Dany' s visions in The House of the Undying, a blue eyed king who casts no shadow which is probably a reference to Stannis and the only instance (other than Cersei being told her children shall be crowned prior to their deaths) where a vision in the books has specifically referred to being a vision of a king and was not given much heed by Dany as is was a collection of one of her fleeting visions and was buried deep within more pronounced visions of her own greatness/great deeds but despite crowning herself Queen of Meereen she has had no visions of herself as a queen!

The only problem with this is that Stannis is already king in a way. He has claimed it and others acknowledge him as such. Does the vision proclaim him as king on the iron throne? That remains to be seen.

Obviously it's not set in stone but there is another theory that I'm a huge fan of that lends further support to Stannis being king

Martin famously uses historical figures and events for inspiration and as events have unfolded it's been suggested Henry 7th was his inspiration for Daenery's role in the saga however a more apt historical figure has been put forward in that of Queen Zenobia, a supposed descendent of Cleopatra.

The Cleopatra story needs little explanation itself but it's worth noting some points to explain what a good mirror the Cleopatra/Ptolemy dynasty is for the Targaryens.

Most notably the Cleopatra/Ptolemy line originated in Greece and ruled as God like figures in Egypt, their line did so for generations and avoided challenge for their position by marrying incestuously naming their descendants after themselves so they could continue to rule as the same figure. The last and most famous Cleopatra was the first to break from the incestuous tradition, the rule of Egypt and supposedly the Cleopatra/Ptolemy line ended with her death and the death of her son Caesar.

Several generations later Zenobia rose up up in the East of the Roman Empire claiming to be a blood descendent of Cleopatra and used this great name to rally great support and eventually came to rule much of the East! SOUND FAMILIAR?

From here she eventually challenged Rome itself but subsequently lost and was captured and (one bittersweet scenario purports) was brought before the Emporer in golden chains who enamoured by her charm, intellect and beauty disbanded her empire yet allowed her to live out her days within Rome's city walls as a socialite, philosopher and political advisor.

How would a similar scenario work for Daenerys?

Well she has foreseen her role in her fight against the others and is in all likelihood TPTWP or Azor Ahai reborn so will likely make to Westeros and win this war first before turning her attention towards the iron throne. I believe she will be lose this subsequent battle and be brought before the victor as a captive. I believe that victor will be Stannis as only her can deliver that bittersweet justice (his reward of Davos's knighthood/punishment of removing his fingers is a particular case in point!) He will pardon Daenerys for having almost singlehandedly saving the realm from the Others but will disband or even slaughter armies and her dragons and keep her under his leadership for the rest of her days!

.....Just sayin'

Obviously it's not set in stone but there is another theory that I'm a huge fan of that lends further support to Stannis being king

Martin famously uses historical figures and events for inspiration and as events have unfolded it's been suggested Henry 7th was his inspiration for Daenery's role in the saga however a more apt historical figure has been put forward in that of Queen Zenobia, a supposed descendent of Cleopatra.

The Cleopatra story needs little explanation itself but it's worth noting some points to explain what a good mirror the Cleopatra/Ptolemy dynasty is for the Targaryens.

Most notably the Cleopatra/Ptolemy line originated in Greece and ruled as God like figures in Egypt, their line did so for generations and avoided challenge for their position by marrying incestuously naming their descendants after themselves so they could continue to rule as the same figure. The last and most famous Cleopatra was the first to break from the incestuous tradition, the rule of Egypt and supposedly the Cleopatra/Ptolemy line ended with her death and the death of her son Caesar.

Several generations later Zenobia rose up up in the East of the Roman Empire claiming to be a blood descendent of Cleopatra and used this great name to rally great support and eventually came to rule much of the East! SOUND FAMILIAR?

From here she eventually challenged Rome itself but subsequently lost and was captured and (one bittersweet scenario purports) was brought before the Emporer in golden chains who enamoured by her charm, intellect and beauty disbanded her empire yet allowed her to live out her days within Rome's city walls as a socialite, philosopher and political advisor.

How would a similar scenario work for Daenerys?

Well she has foreseen her role in her fight against the others and is in all likelihood TPTWP or Azor Ahai reborn so will likely make to Westeros and win this war first before turning her attention towards the iron throne. I believe she will be lose this subsequent battle and be brought before the victor as a captive. I believe that victor will be Stannis as only her can deliver that bittersweet justice (his reward of Davos's knighthood/punishment of removing his fingers is a particular case in point!) He will pardon Daenerys for having almost singlehandedly saving the realm from the Others but will disband or even slaughter armies and her dragons and keep her under his leadership for the rest of her days!

.....Just sayin'

And how would Stannis do this? His army is weak right now compared to Dany's, it's made almost exclusively out of Northmen, they would drop him for a King in the North, he is the first king in the line of the Others. He is not going to march a host of Northmen down south to fight for someone not a Stark while a horde of undead kills everything up north only to have Dany beat them all and lose her dragons to him.

We all know Martin is fond of twists and turns and drastic changes in fortune, the facts as they stand don't make this outcome seem likely (and as I've mentioned it's not my personal desire to see Stannis as king I'm personally team Dany!) but it's reasonable to use foreshadowing from hprophecies within the book and from historical events that Martin has likely drawn inspiration from. All of Dany's prophecies and those surrounding her suggest she will be a great figure and she has gone a long way into proving this true however none of those prophecies place her on the iron throne. The clever thing about the red wedding was it destroyed the obvious hero of the story and the reader is then, as many characters in the book are, lost and left with nought but prophecy and Dany to turn to for hope, Martin has cleverly set us up for his bittersweet ending. Dany will be great but she will not sit the throne, through visions she has already seen the king but didn't dwell on the image enough to take any significance from it!

Archived