And the Iron Thrones goes to...

Lady Octarina

After Tommen the throne rightfully passes to: Stannis. (If you follow the Baratheon line.) Tommen is a usurper, and the rightful heir would be Rhaegar's eldest surviving male child, then Aerys' eldest surviving male child. We seem to keep forgetting that the Iron Throne is a male position and cannot pass to a female, including Danaerys. Surprisingly, Stannis is somewhere in that line, too. I don't think that Stannis' inheritance rights will be the lie that Danaerys slays, but perhaps something sinister about Stannis, himself. (Casts no shadow.)

No it passes to the woman if all of her brothers have died .

After Tommen the throne rightfully passes to: Stannis. (If you follow the Baratheon line.) Tommen is a usurper, and the rightful heir would be Rhaegar's eldest surviving male child, then Aerys' eldest surviving male child. We seem to keep forgetting that the Iron Throne is a male position and cannot pass to a female, including Danaerys. Surprisingly, Stannis is somewhere in that line, too. I don't think that Stannis' inheritance rights will be the lie that Danaerys slays, but perhaps something sinister about Stannis, himself. (Casts no shadow.)

It never even occurred to me to doubt that it would be the lie about Stannis being AA. With GRRM that means I'm most probably wrong :)

Without the firepower to simultaneously control both the north and south of Westeros, the Iron Throne is worthless and there is no unified kingdom of Westeros. The Targaryens had the firepower originally through their dragons and later through powerful alliances, which were a legacy of the power they obtained through the dragons.

Stannis has none of those things, unfortunately. And I do mean unfortunately - he's clearly the best qualified to rule over a united kingdom, but lacks the power. Danaerys has the power in her dragons, but lacks the sense and self-control. She seems incapable of learning from experience and even determined not to. Her rule will be a mess, full of caprice and melodrama - fun for the story-tellers of Westeros, but the small-folk who do most of the living and dying there (to cop a phrase from George Bailey) would do a lot better under Stannis.

No it passes to the woman if all of her brothers have died .
No, the king is always male, and they may have to go through all of the branches to exhaust the males, not just a local branch. If Rhaegar only fathered two children, Rhaenys and Aegon Aegon is the heir (over Viserys and Rhaegar if he is of age). If Aegon dies then Rhaegar would be the heir, and if Rhaegar dies Viserys would be the heir. If Viserys dies, Aerys' brother's male offspring become heirs.

But, in no case would Rhaenys or Danaerys come before Stannis. Now, the truly legitimate heir is Jon "Snow" because it is known that he is the true-born son of Rhaegar, and Aegon is dead. :P

No, the king is always male, and they may have to go through all of the branches to exhaust the males, not just a local branch. If Rhaegar only fathered two children, Rhaenys and Aegon Aegon is the heir (over Viserys and Rhaegar if he is of age). If Aegon dies then Rhaegar would be the heir, and if Rhaegar dies Viserys would be the heir. If Viserys dies, Aerys' brother's male offspring become heirs.

But, in no case would Rhaenys or Danaerys come before Stannis. Now, the truly legitimate heir is Jon "Snow" because it is known that he is the true-born son of Rhaegar, and Aegon is dead. :P

Where do you get that theory? Stannis isn't a Targaryen, and the postponing of female rule until the supply of potential male heirs has been exhausted is a Targ thing, not a Westeros one. If it is a question of succession, Aegon is first (if he's real), then Jon (if he's real), then it would have fallen to Viserys, then Rhaego, then Rhaenys, and the Daenerys. Stannis doesn't figure.

Where do you get that theory? Stannis isn't a Targaryen, and the postponing of female rule until the supply of potential male heirs has been exhausted is a Targ thing, not a Westeros one. If it is a question of succession, Aegon is first (if he's real), then Jon (if he's real), then it would have fallen to Viserys, then Rhaego, then Rhaenys, and the Daenerys. Stannis doesn't figure.
Heh, it is interesting, but is the sensible reason for why Robert won the throne. AegonV fathered Rhaelle who married a Baratheon, who fathered Steffon who fathered Robert, Stannis and Renly. So, as you can see Robert was a Targaryen heir, and there was no better claim that his catspaws could reach.

the few drops of Targaryen blood Robert has are just an exuse to put him in the throne. If he was not cousin of the mad king - it would not have matter . Do you think that after the war , Robert would go to some Martell and give him the throne ?

the few drops of Targaryen blood Robert has are just an exuse to put him in the throne. If he was not cousin of the mad king - it would not have matter . Do you think that after the war , Robert would go to some Martell and give him the throne ?
The point being? My original line was explaining that the Iron Throne was the seat of the male line, and that Stannis had a greater right to it than Danaerys. Do you dispute this?

The point being? My original line was explaining that the Iron Throne was the seat of the male line, and that Stannis had a greater right to it than Danaerys. Do you dispute this?

Even So Jon is still a basterd and would not be in the line of succesion

The Iron Throne will go to whoever can take and hold it. No one's going to hold an election or have the Maesters sit down and examine all the claimants' pedigrees.

Of course, there may not be any Iron Throne left to hold. If Tommen and Myrcella are killed, and Cersei is still at liberty within King's Landing, I could see her blowing up the Red Keep and possibly half the city if there's still enough wildfire, out of rage and grief and spite.

Or the story could end with Aegon and Dany staggering in after a battle in which they were barely victorious, the dragons killed, only to meet Jaime Lannister sitting on the Iron Throne with Lannister and mercenary forces and Tyrion backing him up.

And then again, Tyrion might have the last laugh and the Iron Throne again, and possibly Sansa as his queen.

Flip a coin? The Iron Throne will be up for grabs if/when Tommen is killed (and possibly if he is not killed). I don't think that Dany will end up holding it, even if she takes it, for long, though...

Or the story could end with Aegon and Dany staggering in after a battle in which they were barely victorious, the dragons killed, only to meet Jaime Lannister sitting on the Iron Throne with Lannister and mercenary forces

That would be hilarious and awesome.

That is quite incorrect, the only explanation for the King's Guard's actions at the Tower of Joy is that Jon is legitimate and the true heir to the Iron Throne. There is further confirmation that Jon is Lyanna's son in Danaerys' visions at the House of the Undying.

And ETA: back on point (thanks Val) All male descendants will be exhausted before they will think about seating a female. That means that Stannis trumps Danaerys, sorry if that breaks your heart, but that is how it works.

I'm not sure what Jon has to do with Stannis and Daenerys claim to the throne, but anyway, we don't know if Jon is a bastard, the presence of the Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy seems to point at Jon being legitimate. After all ,if Jon was not legitimate, they should have been in Dragonstone protecting Viserys and they weren't.

ETA: @MtnLion, we posted almost the same at the same time :D

That is quite incorrect, the only explanation for the King's Guard's actions at the Tower of Joy is that Jon is legitimate and the true heir to the Iron Throne. There is further confirmation that Jon is Lyanna's son in Danaerys' visions at the House of the Undying.

And ETA: back on point (thanks Val) All male descendants will be exhausted before they will think about seating a female. That means that Stannis trumps Danaerys, sorry if that breaks your heart, but that is how it works.

If so , no one would know he was legit. HE does not even know. I know he is R and L's son .

If so , no one would know he was legit. HE does not even know. I know he is R and L's son .

You're forgetting Howland Reed, who was also at the Tower of Joy and would of learned whatever Ned learned that day. If there was any sort of proof of Jon's legitimacy there (perhaps a letter written by Rhaegar), Howland Reed might of taken it back to Greywater Watch with him for safekeeping.

Archived