The Tourney of Harrenhall : A Tale of Starks and Daynes.

Arkash

If you ask me, any consideration of Aegon being anyone other than Aegon is dismissed once reading Jon Connington's chapters.

Jon didn't meet Aegon until Aegon was about 5 years old. That is a huge gap in the chain of custody of Aegon. He was under the care and responsibility of Illyrio and Varys - two very untrustworthy souls. That kid could be anybody.

Plus JonCon is somewhat blinded by his own feelings: his love of Rhaegar, his shame in letting Rhaegar down, his guilt in letting Rhaegar die. Aegon is Jon's ticket to redemption. He needs Aegon to be Rhaegar's son.

In my opinion Jon Connington is neither an objective nor a reliable witness in verifying Aegon's authenticity.

If you ask me, any consideration of Aegon being anyone other than Aegon is dismissed once reading Jon Connington's chapters.

You think that the people who think Aegon's fake haven't read Connington's chapters?

Connington didn't even meet this child until he was like 5 years old. Connington is also in the sad position of being in denial and wanting Aegon to be real.

Well, I would like to keep options open. I don't know if Aegon is real and claim no absolute truth her. The evidence for the one or the other is not conclusive, in my opinion.

And it is a happy safe option in this particular thread, because R+L=J can still be true if YG=A. :-)

Maybe the mummer's dragon was a reference to Jon.

GRRM directly answering the R+L=J theories in the books! ^^

Nah, I think the mummer is Varys. The dragon could be real (dragon = Targaryen) - I'm not sure about it, it could be.

That just proves Connington believes...

If you ask me, the fact that it would be an awful plot development to have him thrown in there 5 books in, indicates it's not really Aegon.

That just proves Connington believes... If you ask me, the fact that it would be an awful plot development to have him thrown in there 5 books in, indicates it's not really Aegon.

But there are hints from book 1.

[/thread derailment]

RE Ned and Tourneys: there are certain things in the books that are made more clear on the show, prime example: Loras+Renley. Two others I noticed are Ned and Tourneys as well as Ned not liking to discuss his sister or Jon with Robert.

RE Howland Reed being great in combat because of the ToL: Howland is probably a very small man. He probably carries a frog spear, not a sword. Whatever he did to help Ned defeat the KG, probably did not involve something physical on his part.

... or so you speculate.

Its not speculation that he was small, and at least at the time of Harrenhal, didn't ride much or use a lance.

Assuming HR is the little crannogman of course.

But a year of war at Ned's side could well have seen him learn new skills.

Its not speculation that he was small, and at least at the time of Harrenhal, didn't ride much or use a lance.

Assuming HR is the little crannogman of course.

But a year of war at Ned's side could well have seen him learn new skills.

A year at Ned's side would not give him ample skill to kill Arthur Dayne. Ned was no match for Arthur Dayne. He was f@cking Arthur Dayne. Meera is very good with her frog spear. She's a small girl. Skilled in what she does. But her against, say, Asha and her throwing ax? No match. The crannogmen aren't warriors, they may have a special set of powers, but are not warriors. Unless the frog spear was on some Oberyn Martell shizz and hit some exposed skin, he's not taking out Arthur Dayne or any of the other KG with fighting skills. They are either still alive, or Howland did some Jedi mind trick stuff on them.

A year at Ned's side would not give him ample skill to kill Arthur Dayne. Ned was no match for Arthur Dayne. He was f@cking Arthur Dayne. Meera is very good with her frog spear. She's a small girl. Skilled in what she does. But her against, say, Asha and her throwing ax? No match. The crannogmen aren't warriors, they may have a special set of powers, but are not warriors. Unless the frog spear was on some Oberyn Martell shizz and hit some exposed skin, he's not taking out Arthur Dayne or any of the other KG with fighting skills. They are either still alive, or Howland did some Jedi mind trick stuff on them.

No match one on one, but combat against competent multiples is always dicey, no matter how good you are. Don't believe the standard Hero vs extras bullshit.

You think Biter had any chance at all one on one vs Brienne? No, but he blindsided her while she was fighting (killing) Rorge.

• 5 months later...

I find the Tourny at Harrenhall fascinating not just in the detail but how this tournament really defined this series in a sense it created this series.

Rhaegar and Lyanna

Eddard and Ashara Dayne

Brandon and his hot headedness

The Red Viper

Ser Selmy and Ashara Dayne

Think about it, the love, the passion, the competition the people there, this was an epic meeeting. This is like the founding fathers of "A Song of Ice and Fire."

Should do a prequel movie with this as the central focus.

Archived