Essos

House Balstroko

I was wondering how come none of the kings are interested in controlling the territories outside the seven kingdomd, especially Essos considering most seem to be well aware of the free cities, the Dothraki and even Assai. based on the descriptions the cities in Essos seem to be a lot larger than those of Westeros and wealthier (Great Pyramid of Meereen standing at 800feet making it even taller than the Wall). Why haven't Robert or the Targaryens before tried to conquer parts of it. They had access to a large fleet on Dragonstone and the Iron islands at the very least. So why limit themselves to the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros?

If they can barely keep their grip on the Seven Kingdoms, why would they need to conquer other parts of the world?

That's if you consider the current situation. But remember that when Aegon conquered Westeros, the Targaryens held the realm until Aerys 2 was overthrown, meaning they had about 300 years of relative stabilty. Since all rulers were Targaryen we can assume that there was much less trouble than now. Plus the Targaryens had their origin in Valyria.

I think the Targaryen rule was plagued with to much turmoil, even if one of the kings desired it, which I haven't heard of that. They had several serious events that you can read about in the wiki. There was the dance of dragons, a conquest of Dorne that later did not end well so Dorne was an issue. They had to deal with the Blackfyre rebellions, and then the suffering from the great spring sickness. There was also a time where the were complications in succsesion so they had to convene a great council.

Obviousy before the Targaryens Westeros was seperate kingdoms. So that was probably a constant fluctuation of power struggles. I have wondered if kings like Brandon the Shipwright had that in mind, to conquer Esso or some part of the land. We do have Nymeria, the warrior queen of the Rhoyne, who conquered Dorne, so it is possible. I agree it is strange we have not heard of any attempts of a Westerosi conquest of Essos.

Archived