Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

Torres' miss today wasn't quite as catastrophically bad as the one at Old Trafford, but he's still playing shit though. A year ago he was getting back to his best and scored two goals against Chelsea as Liverpool beat them fairly comfortably. Then he submitted a transfer request and has been complete shit ever since. The whole Torres debacle can be summed up nicely with this.

Surely with the form he's been in for the last year he won't have a hope in hell of making Spain's Euro 2012 squad? Dave Villa broke his leg a couple of months ago and I don't know if he'll be available in time, so who does that leave Spain? Llorente, Negredo and Pedro I think?

I was at the Olympic qualifying games yesterday for women's soccer and watched the U.S. completely demolish the Dominicans 14-0. I never imagined a 14 goal game could be so uninteresting. After proving early that the Dominicans were impossibly weak through the centre, the U.S. simply worked on their attacking movement--unnecessarily moving the ball into wide positions presumably to practice for the Mexico game. They still managed to hit DR for 14, though. I can't imagine anyone beating them, so I am quite glad Canada is on the other side of the draw.

*takes a small bow*

I happened to be looking up St.James' Park on Wikipedia and got annoyed all over again regarding that sponsorship bullshit. I was fine when the blight was contained to the U.S. (the United States being a country full of crass, money-blinkered assholes), but now I dread the day that I'll be hearing of "The Kop at Anfield, brought to you by Kronenbourg 1664" or "come see the Red Devils play at Old Tesco." :ack:

st. james park will always only be st. james park to me.

wow. the toon were awful today. though, i have to applaud clint's hat trick. the boy is pure class and skill. i just wish his first epl hat trick happened against someone else. why couldn't it have been sunderland?

speaking of. one of the chefs i work with is a gunners fan. he and i talk footy a lot. another fellow chef likes to make fun of our 'third world sport.' this chef deciding he wanted to be part of our fun and games did some research and adopted himself a team. the prick waltzed into our kitchen this week wearing a sunderland scarf. what a dick.

st. james park will always only be st. james park to me.

speaking of. one of the chefs i work with is a gunners fan. he and i talk footy a lot. another fellow chef likes to make fun of our 'third world sport.' this chef deciding he wanted to be part of our fun and games did some research and adopted himself a team. the prick waltzed into our kitchen this week wearing a sunderland scarf. what a dick.

mike ashley is the living embodiment that disproves the theory that 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'.

and regarding this doofus you work with, you have big sharp knives at work. use them. or buy him the DVD of the 5-1 mauling. or the worst punishment of all, buy him a ticket to a Sunderland game, Sunderand is a sordid little grief hole.

Liverpool. Conceded to Nigel Reo-Coker.

the only thing that made that worse is the fact i have him on the bench for my fantasy team.

i couldn't even get that to reduce my frustration just a bit.

EDIT:

all hail the new topic title!

I thought Dirk Kuijt had fallen from grace as well?

mike ashley is the living embodiment that disproves the theory that 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'.

and regarding this doofus you work with, you have big sharp knives at work. use them. or buy him the DVD of the 5-1 mauling. or the worst punishment of all, buy him a ticket to a Sunderland game, Sunderand is a sordid little grief hole.

QFT.

Surely with the form he's been in for the last year he won't have a hope in hell of making Spain's Euro 2012 squad? Dave Villa broke his leg a couple of months ago and I don't know if he'll be available in time, so who does that leave Spain? Llorente, Negredo and Pedro I think?

Plus Soldado, and (in the not-really-strikers-but-forwards division) Jesus Navas, Silva and Fabregas. Given that Spain will almost certainly play with only one central striker, they don't really need more than three of those in the squad. Llorente, Negredo and Soldado would be more than enough. I'd be tempted to just take two of those and use Fabregas as an emergency striker if necessary (he's done that before, I think). Spain's issue is that they need to break down opponents, so they need variety more than depth in the squad when it comes to attacking players.

I thought Dirk Kuijt had fallen from grace as well?

He definitely doesn't get picked as much as he used to these days, which I find odd considering his (and Rodriguez's) form at the end of last season. I remember back in the good old Rafa days when Kuyt would start every match.

Fabregas as an emergency striker if necessary (he's done that before, I think).

I didn't know this. He definitely played just off Torres in Euro 2008 when Dave Villa was injured if that's what you are alluding to?

Spain's issue is that they need to break down opponents, so they need variety more than depth in the squad when it comes to attacking players.

As shown during the World Cup. They kept on persisting with Fernando Torres even when he was half-fit. Against Portugal they replaced him with Llorente in the second half and he immediately started terrorizing the Portuguese defence. Spain do grind teams down though, they most of their matches in the World Cup 1-0 but I hope that watching Spain this summer won't be quite as boring.

i want the scarf commemorating the game. i looked all over the internet last night and failed in finding it. i should get the dvd and have my coworker over to watch it.

for my gunners fan at work i have the 4-4 draw from last season on the dvr. what a comeback! it still gives me a fit of the maniacal joys when i think about it.

what a bunch of shit.

balotelli should not have even been on the pitch. the cunt should have been red carded minutes earlier. and instead he is still out there and gets taken down in the box by a poorly timed tackle by king. then the conceded italian fuck converts the penalty.

fuck off. fuck off.

Archived