Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

Even if Cardiff don't win this, huge props to them for never giving up even when they were down a goal.

And now we're into penalties!

(seriously, I expected a better showing from Liverpool. Very surprised at the scoreline.)

cardiff players should be proud. scoring an equaliser in the last minutes of extra time while majority of them can barely stand is a testament to their determination, and their fans should recognize and appreciate that. it's understandable cardiff fans didn't want to see liverpool players waving the trophy around but they should have stayed a while longer, for their players' sake.

liverpool were terrible - they had 15+ corner kicks, almost 40 shots on goal (if the commentator kept his records straight) but only a handful of those on target, and most of those weren't really dangerous, were they? the same goes for this match as for their entire season - they are woefully ineffective and their strikers need to find their form, and be quick about it.

EDIT:

and penalties were... i have no words...

It's hard to be excited as a Liverpool fan when you struggle to beat a lower division team and it's just the Carling Cup. I know some fans love to keep score on trophies but I really wish we could play some decent football for a change.

Having spent so much money on Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam I feel like we've doomed ourselves to several years of bad football and no CL. I hope I'm wrong.

Surprising win by Arsenal. They've looked a shambles just lately and then they pull that off.

United win with a goal from Scholes and a 90th minute winner from Giggs. Somehow they pick up points where others would have dropped them.

Indeed. It's a two-horse race now, but then I guess most agreed it always was. Still, Spurs play United next week, if they win, they're back in, somewhat. And that is not an impossible feat against this United side.

I have my doubts about Danny Welbeck. When I first saw him he reminded me of nothing so much of a young Patrick Kluivert, and Kluivert turned out to be a superb player ( until he came to England, but we know that story). But there is something weird about Welbeck, he seems to create chances quite well, is quite threatening, but on the other hand he's hardly a prolific scorer, and his touch also lacks technical polish, looks a bit clumsy.

I hope he gets better the next few years. United needs a strong partner for Rooney. Still, Ferguson likes him better than Berbatov, and even prefers him to Hernandez, who performed remarkably last year.

Not sure who's been watching the games in Spain today, but what a goal by Messi. What a genius moment, and once again singlehandedly take 3 points for Barca. And Ronaldo did the same earlier in the day for Madrid. Both of these guys are true legends.

The only thing similar about Kluivert and Welbeck is their appearance, and that's stretching it.

I never imagined he'd actually get this close to a United first team and stay. He'll struggle to score to score get more than 10 in a season, even at United, and as soon as he gets a serious injury and his pace/acceleration is hit, he'll drop out of the picture.

But I guess players like him will do the job, until the debts are paid off.

The only thing similar about Kluivert and Welbeck is their appearance, and that's stretching it.

I never imagined he'd actually get this close to a United first team and stay. He'll struggle to score to score get more than 10 in a season, even at United, and as soon as he gets a serious injury and his pace/acceleration is hit, he'll drop out of the picture.

But I guess players like him will do the job, until the debts are paid off.

Welbeck's place in the team has very little to do with his pace and a lot to do with his positioning and ability to hold the ball up, and the fact that he's a lot better technically than Hernandez, which means he can link in better when we are playing short passes in the box, while being a lot braver with the ball than Berbatov. We play better when he's playing, he's a good focal point. He never looks very convincing in his manner but he's very good at it nonetheless.

Yeah, I'm being a little over-critical. He's just appeared more an athlete than a footballer, any time I've seen him. To be fair, the last time I saw him was the Liverpool game and he had a decent performance.

Anyway, actually surprised that today was Kuyt's first medal at Liverpool. Seems like he has been at the club long enough to have won a couple more...hope for him that they add another trophy this season. He's a great pro.

He's just appeared more an athlete than a footballer, any time I've seen him.

This is a bit the case, but he's pretty good technically (awkward, but useful) and clever. And it's more about his all-round athleticism than just his pace.

He's a bit like Adebayor, except better at not going offside, and not quite as strong. And a better finisher, though he gets less chances at the moment.

Dangerous Dirk is a class act for Pool. Mucks in with whatever he's asked to do and pops up with crucial goals at regular intervals.

Archived