Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

Only a four match ban for Mario? Bizarre. He could have blinded Scott Parker, but Suarez gets eight matches for calling Patrice Evra name. I'm sorry, but kicking someone in the face deserves a longer ban than calling someone a name, racist or otherwise.

The rules for violent conduct are pretty well established - three matches for the red card offence, and a fourth because it's his second of the season (assuming he gets convicted, of course). Cases like Suarez are rare enough that there's not much precedent to go by.

I reckon the gouge is worse than the stamp- coz the stamp was a reflex whereas Crouch clearly approached the player in order to gouge his eye. It should be a minimum eight-game ban, as pre-meditated attempts to injure usually get. The fact that it was tame and didn't do anything shouldn't change that, coz there's no middle ground with a gouge- it's either fuck all or a career-threatening injury.

Lescott's forearm smash on Kaboul is also equally worthy of punishment with Mario's stamp, and just as dangerous if not more - some of the worst injuries in football have come from that sort of move, including Chris Morgan a few years ago nearly becoming a murderer.

I reckon the gouge is worse than the stamp- coz the stamp was a reflex whereas Crouch clearly approached the player in order to gouge his eye. It should be a minimum eight-game ban, as pre-meditated attempts to injure usually get. The fact that it was tame and didn't do anything shouldn't change that, coz there's no middle ground with a gouge- it's either fuck all or a career-threatening injury.

Lescott's forearm smash on Kaboul is also equally worthy of punishment with Mario's stamp, and just as dangerous if not more - some of the worst injuries in football have come from that sort of move, including Chris Morgan a few years ago nearly becoming a murderer.

how on earth was the stamp a reflex?

what possible reason could a player have for stamping backwards while falling forwards?

and what possible reason could balloteli have for falling forwards like he did?

while i can see no reason why he'd want to intentionally hurt parker, that backwards leg extension could not have been accidental and it could not be considered a reflex under any circumstances.

EDIT:

i agree that lescott's hit on kaboul should be punished as well.

What a joke: http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/16711526.stm

Worse comes to worse, he goes elsewhere. No big deal. Not really a player I'd miss.

i'd like to see him try to get anywhere near the amount of money he gets from city elsewhere.

adebayor has tried two seasons in a row now and has failed, and i find adebayor a better player at the moment though ballotelli has more potential for improvement.

how on earth was the stamp a reflex?

what possible reason could a player have for stamping backwards while falling forwards?

and what possible reason could balloteli have for falling forwards like he did?

while i can see no reason why he'd want to intentionally hurt parker, that backwards leg extension could not have been accidental and it could not be considered a reflex under any circumstances.

Reflex may be the wrong word, but he wasn't deliberately aiming a kick at Parker. He felt something under his feet (Parker's hand) and kicked out at the obstruction - he wasn't looking and I don't think he knew Parker had fallen that way. It was a bad, thoughtless and dangerous reaction, but it wasn't done with malice or forethought like the other two were.

I have a hard time seeing how what Balotelli did can be construed as deliberate. Even severely slowed down it's about 3 seconds between his first colliding with Parker and the "stamp". It took place in a whole lot less time in reality, so unless he planned it when he saw Parker trying to get to him before he could clear the ball (making him some kind of Dûnyain), I simply can't see that as anything other than an unfortunate accident/reflexive motion.

It really doesn't take a long time to decide whether to kick out or not.

No, but I'd say it takes a bit more time than he had.

It surprises me how many people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, given that the movement seems so unnatural to the situation.

He stumbles coming out of a 360° rotation after kicking the ball away with quite a lot of force. Dunno how natural a motion that can be called to begin with.

And frankly, a lot of very deliberate fouls don't get punished properly (as Calibandar said, Pepe stamping on Messi's hand is a very good example), so punishment is always going to be perceived as inconsistent.

He steps on Parkers hand, accidentally hits him with one knee then swings his other foot back with more force. there is no grey area there, he knows he's there, he knows that Parkers body is there, perhaps not the head, by the impact on his other knee and flings his foot back with considerably more force. I like that people are saying you only spot in slow mo. It was obvious at real time that "something iffy" had happened, the only slight doubt comes from the original picture it only being in the corner rather then centre screen, even then the whole pub let out an "ooooh".

At full speed, and from the angle originally shown on TV, I thought it was an accident - he tripped over Parker and his leg went flailing, and unfortunately it went into Parker's face. The motion looked well within the bounds of what is natural during that kind of fall at that kind of speed.

However, I also think he should have been sent off (and given that he wasn't sent off, the four-match ban should apply). Just because an incident like that is accidental doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished: c.f the Italian player getting sent off in WC 2006 for accidentally smashing Brian McBride in the face: Taylor accidentally breaking Eduardo's leg. (FWIW I wouldn't include Stephen Hunt for accidentally kicking Petr Cech in the head because he was actively attempting to avoid a collision at the time.) Certainly not an eight-match ban, but the standard three-plus-one seems fine to me.

Remember Wayne Rooney's elbow to the face of one of Wigan's players last season? Even that went unpunished, but if I did that to someone in the street I'd be put in prison. It's called assault. Mario Balotelli definitely deserves his ban, but the FA need to be more consistent. This is the organization who appealed the length of Wayne Rooney's ban after he kicked one of Montenegro's players yet rejected Manchester City's appeal against Vincent Kompany's red card. Madness.

This leads on to the next problem that we have, Rooney, Crouch and Lescott. All three have got one thing in common, England internationals. This is another issue in that, like referees, the FA give a "big English player" bias and don't deal with them accordingly. That's clearly a load of crap, I don't care who you are, you do something wrong you should be punished. It's not a new thing to the league either and it's a joke. It doesn't matter if you're Ledley King, Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez or Michael Bostwick. If a player does something wrong and especially one that puts a players health in danger, you should be called up on it and have whatever book needed thrown at you.

Reflex may be the wrong word, but he wasn't deliberately aiming a kick at Parker. He felt something under his feet (Parker's hand) and kicked out at the obstruction - he wasn't looking and I don't think he knew Parker had fallen that way. It was a bad, thoughtless and dangerous reaction, but it wasn't done with malice or forethought like the other two were.

balotelli must have known parker was down there at the moment of stamping since he's hit him once already. that particular movement of his leg can not be counted as reflexive since one never kicks back when falling forward. also, the way balotelli tumbled doesn't really look that natural either, at least not to me.

balotelli must have known parker was down there at the moment of stamping since he's hit him once already. that particular movement of his leg can not be counted as reflexive since one never kicks back when falling forward. also, the way balotelli tumbled doesn't really look that natural either, at least not to me.

I'm not saying it was a reflex to falling over. I'm saying it was a reflexive action to finding something under his feet (Parker's hand). And he hit him once already but he didn't know it was him. That's the point. He felt something in his way and kicked out at it, whether out of annoyance or to clear his ground I don't know but he certainly wasn't aiming to stamp on Parker.

I'm not saying Balotelli's not in the wrong, I'm just saying he's less in the wrong than Lescott and Crouch. His reaction was stupid, theirs was actively spiteful.

And Liverpool have sealed their place in the league cup final, marking their first appearance at Wembley since 1996.

Should feel confident to win the competition now, as well. Adding to their good record in the tournament.

Ive found myself watching a lot of Fulham games...and I find feeling quite badly for Dempsey. That team around him is both really bad and really confused. Johnson is a horrible forward, Zamora is in the doghouse, Brian is useless, and the center midfield of Murphy and Duff have no imagination.

I've been sort of rooting for them because of Dempsey's place on the team, but god watching them is not a whole lot of fun.

Archived