Saddest moment in the books.

Lions-and-Roses

The battle of blackwater bay. A true tragedy.

Rickard Karstark's death.

Cressen's prologue.

Sansa's snow castle.

Dolan Martell talking about his son.

Davos's sons deaths.

Pretty much every sad Stan moment

When dany didn't die in the pyre, a truly sad moment imo.

Ned Stark's death

Arya's thought on Needle.

Quentyn's death

Belwas's death

Oberyn's death.

This thread makes me sad :-(

-Elia's death and her babies so brutalized

-The Starks are tragic

-Arya stabbing the Tickler, it showed how traumatized she was and it really shattered my heart. Her saying she had a hole in her heart. And "Needle was Jon Snow's smile"

-Sansa sobbing her heart out behind closed doors about the RW :-( she was so alone. Also her snow castle

-Bran saying how he wished all his brothers and sisters were with him and that they could fly and live in the raven rookery together

-Rickon protecting Ned's tomb waiting for him knowing in his 4yr old heart that his father was gone

-Robb saying Grey Wind

-Catelyn just going crazy at the end and her mind unable to take the pain of losing her "last" child and begging Ned to make the pain stop

-Wylla Manderly and her remembering the promise and telling the court how they were always "Stark Men!!!"

-TOJ

-Jon remembering his brother Robb

-Verserys and how he took care of the Dany

-the Targaryens are also tragic

I've always felt genuine sadness every time some small folk or minor simple characters die in this series. That Brienne chapter where a septon explains the reality to her really explains my point.

As for the main characters..

-Master Aemon's wish to go to Dany and the entire scene before his death (how I wish he had been with Dany..would have made that story soo damn interesting)

-I might not be in the majority for this..but after wanting Joff to die ever since the 1st book...I really felt empty and real sad when he actually died,choking,with Cersei screaming.

-Gilly's baby switch for sure.. that girl did something truly heroic

-Ygritte's death and Jon checking if he killed her..( I'm surprised there was no reaction from Jon about the RW..news not reached yet?)

-Theon and everything about his life...right from his childhood...(I watched the first 2 seasons before reading books and his acting was brilliant in S2)

-on my first read,I was confused and overcome with shock at the RW chapter to feel sad..now on re-read yes real sad.

-As some poster above me mentioned, Quentyn's end was very sad indeed. the boy had no choice.

A more ragged band Arya had never seen, but there was nothing ragged about the swords, axes, and bows they carried. One or two gave her curious glances as they entered, but no one said a word. A one-eyed man in a rusty pothelm sniffed the air and grinned, while an archer with a head of stiff yellow hair was shouting for ale. After them came a spearman in a lioncrested helm, an older man with a limp, a Braavosi sellsword, a... “Harwin?” Arya whispered. It was! Under the beard and the tangled hair was the face of Hullen’s son, who used to lead her pony around the yard, ride at quintain with Jon and Robb, and drink too much on feast days. He was thinner, harder somehow, and at Winterfell he had never worn a beard, but it was him - her father’s man. “Harwin!” Squirming, she threw herself forward, trying to wrench free of Lem’s iron grip. “It’s me,” she shouted, “Harwin, it’s me, don’t you know me, don’t you?” The tears came, and she found herself weeping like a baby, just like some stupid little girl. “Harwin, it’s me!” Harwin’s eyes went from her face to the flayed man on her doublet. “How do you know me?” he said, frowning suspiciously. “The flayed man... who are you, some serving boy to Lord Leech?” For a moment she did not know how to answer. She’d had so many names. Had she only dreamed Arya Stark? “I’m a girl,” she sniffed. “I was Lord Bolton’s cupbearer but he was going to leave me for the goat, so I ran off with Gendry and Hot Pie. You have to know me! You used to lead my pony, when I was little.” His eyes went wide. “Gods be good,” he said in a choked voice. “Arya Underfoot? Lem, let go of her.” “She broke my nose.” Lem dumped her unceremoniously to the floor. “Who in seven hells is she supposed to be?” “The Hand’s daughter.” Harwin went to one knee before her. “Arya Stark, of Winterfell"

That night, after the plates had been cleared, Robb carried Bran up to bed himself. Grey Wind led the way, and Summer came close behind. His brother was strong for his age, and Bran was as light as a bundle of rags, but the stairs were steep and dark, and Robb was breathing hard by the time they reached the top. He put Bran into bed, covered him with blankets, and blew out the candle. For a time Robb sat beside him in the dark. Bran wanted to talk to him, but he did not know what to say. “We’ll find a horse for you, I promise,” Robb whispered at last. “Are they ever coming back?” Bran asked him. “Yes,” Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. “Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you ahorse?” Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. “And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming, we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure.” “An adventure,” Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

"It's just a stupid sword," she said, aloud this time... ... but it wasn't. Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.”

This thread makes me sad :-(

-Elia's death and her babies so brutalized

-The Starks are tragic

-Arya stabbing the Tickler, it showed how traumatized she was and it really shattered my heart. Her saying she had a hole in her heart. And "Needle was Jon Snow's smile"

-Sansa sobbing her heart out behind closed doors about the RW :-( she was so alone. Also her snow castle

-Bran saying how he wished all his brothers and sisters were with him and that they could fly and live in the raven rookery together

-Rickon protecting Ned's tomb waiting for him knowing in his 4yr old heart that his father was gone

-Robb saying Grey Wind

-Catelyn just going crazy at the end and her mind unable to take the pain of losing her "last" child and begging Ned to make the pain stop

-Wylla Manderly and her remembering the promise and telling the court how they were always "Stark Men!!!"

-TOJ

-Jon remembering his brother Robb

-Verserys and how he took care of the Dany

-the Targaryens are also tragic

:crying:

Hands down, it's the part of the book that you think Arya is dead. Robb is stabbed the chapter before, Catelyn killed, and the next chapter is Arya. She gets hit the head by Sandor, and for a short while I just think: dead. GRRM is a fantastic writer because of his willingness to break the rules and I thought he had done it again. Admist all my anger I trudged forward to learn I had not been paying attention. I have to say that the Red Wedding plays a huge role on the effect this chapter had on me. Robb was my favorite character because his choices reflect what mine would have been in his situation, so I was already downtrodden because of those events. Ned's death was an absolute necessity.. There was almost no way around it, to the wall seemed too easy. You want to write a dramatic fantasy series? Kill the seemingly main character. Robb was necessary for the story he is trying to tell, but there was no reason to think he was going to kill him off right then.

Ned's Death, Red Wedding

I don't know why this gets me but when Mya is talking about how she and the Redfort guy are gonna get married just Lisa makes me sad that she is so naive that she can't see he is just lying to her

Also that Arthur Dayne is probably dead

When we see Jeyne Westerling after the RW

Jeyne Poole

No lady is good she didn't bite any one

You know nothing Jon snow as she cupped his cheek dying

Don't cut my hair Ned loves my hair

Sansa/ Tyrions wedding with no bedding

If Edmure and Roslin's child would be born, Jaime would send the child to him in a catapult funny and sad poor old edmure

Leave me as many arrows as you can spare Jon realizes his is staying to die

Red Wedding (especially "Don't cut my hair")

Oberyn

Maester Cressen

When Arya dreams of finding Cat's body

Anything to do with Doran. He's not a happy person. :frown5:

Baelor Breakspear (does Dunk & Egg count?)

I get really upset thinking about Brandon and Rickard Stark dying... Brandon choking himself to death trying to save his daddy...

The thing that gets me most is Rhaenys, though, hiding under her papa's bed, hoping he'll come save her. :crying:

Some of the sad moments in here is quite a surprise to me.

Anyway for myself I can't really point any 1 part out. Mostly whenever you read or hear about the small folk and what they suffer through during this war. So brutal and pointless.

If it had to be about a named character...hmm maybe Jeyne Poole.

Archived