Saddest moment in the books.

Lions-and-Roses

Of course she did not mean only the snow castle scene. Only that it was a scene in "the saddest story by far". Thank gods it at least serves to make me smile. But puzzles nonetheless. Is it because Sansa is the only one who passes for "young and beautiful" heroine? Let's go point by point.

- Quite wonderful life in Winterfell (admittedly, there was an unsettling shortage of singers, but Old Nan had good stories to tell)

- And then the Lady vanishes. True, this was sad. Was it cruel fate or her own fault? Is this where I mention Mycah? Well, his story probably wasn't that sad or important.

- Very nice time at Kings Landing where she enjoyed a prince just exactly suited to her wishes ("I don't want someone brave and strong! I want him!")

- Her father was taken and killed after she decided to prefer her new shiny royal family and not her old one by going to Cersei over Ned's head (pun unintended). I think it is nice that Hound calls her "little bird" just like Varys calls his "little birds". Of course, the girl did not want anybody get hurt, I bet she simply did not think about anybody else except that they are denying her what she wants. Is this that sad part? I think GRRM had Joffrey taking her to see those heads on spikes not only to show that Joffrey is a monster, but for Sansa to see what she has done. You know, like Jaquen taking Arya to carry "Weasel Soup". You spoke the word, you must know what it costs and what youhave caused.

- And then she was held hostage, Joffrey had his men strike her on four separate times. She held herself quite well. Sad? Quite.

- Marriage to Tyrion. The man is not a joy to the eyes and a Lannister. But he was nice to her from A to Z.

Is this the saddest story ever told? I don't know. Snow White was made to endure even seven dwarves. Poor girl. Is this the saddest story in aSoIaF? I hear every villager tickled by the Tickler voting "Yes!".

The thing about her time in Winterfell is that it represents the huge change in her lifestyle, which is what makes it paticulary sad. No one's arguing Mycah's story isn't sad, but we honestly don't know that much about him.

Are you seriously suggesting she went to Cersei because she wanted to get rid of her family? The fuck?

And no, she was struck more than four times. It's mentioned four times speficially in the text, but we see from Arys POV that he hated how he had strucken Sansa each time. (note, that means more than once, and considering Sansa views him in the light, it's safe to say he didn't hit her the most)

No one ever said Tyrion was cruel to her, but do you really think getting forceably married at age 13 isn't disturbing?

And you forgot to mention that she's basically being held captive by a child molestor now.

I don't think Sansa's story is necessarily the saddest, but your indifference to her suffering is frightening

Of course she did not mean only the snow castle scene. Only that it was a scene in "the saddest story by far". Thank gods it at least serves to make me smile. But puzzles nonetheless. Is it because Sansa is the only one who passes for "young and beautiful" heroine? Let's go point by point.

- Quite wonderful life in Winterfell (admittedly, there was an unsettling shortage of singers, but Old Nan had good stories to tell)

- And then the Lady vanishes. True, this was sad. Was it cruel fate or her own fault? Is this where I mention Mycah? Well, his story probably

wasn't that sad or important.

- Very nice time at Kings Landing where she enjoyed a prince just exactly suited to her wishes ("I don't want someone brave and strong!

I want him!")

- Her father was taken and killed after she decided to prefer her new shiny royal family and

not her old one by going to Cersei over Ned's head (pun unintended). I think it is nice that Hound calls her "little bird" just like Varys calls his "little birds". Of course, the girl did not want anybody get hurt, I bet she simply did not think

about anybody else except that they are denying her what she wants. Is this that sad part? I think GRRM had Joffrey taking her to see those heads on spikes not only to show that Joffrey is a monster, but for Sansa to see what she has

done. You know, like Jaquen taking Arya to carry "Weasel Soup". You spoke the word, you must know what it costs and what youhave caused.

- And then she was held hostage, Joffrey had

his men strike her on four separate times. She held herself quite well. Sad? Quite.

- Marriage to Tyrion. The man is not a joy to the

eyes and a Lannister. But he was nice to her from A to Z.

Is this the saddest story ever told? I don't know. Snow White was made to endure even seven

dwarves. Poor girl. Is this the saddest story in aSoIaF? I hear every villager tickled by the Tickler voting "Yes!".

Dont feed the SanSan fans,they are madly in love with her..

red wedding, ned's beheading, cersei's walk of shame (towards its end), theon chapters as reek, lysa's last moments before she flys out the moon door, lady's death, bechamber scene with sansa and sandor, sandor's deathbed conefessions to arya, visery's death, what danny paid for with her son's life, jon's backstabbing, bran thinking of how he wants to tell meera he loves her, old nan seeing the dead corpses of the boys who are supposed to be bran and rickon, and oh so many many more... :frown5:

saddest eh.... Somehow wasn't as attached to most anything to be too upset by first 3 books. Or sure I've yelled at the pages and all.. but it was after someone moved to Braavos that things really started gettin to me

-- "It’s just a sword. If she needed a sword, there were a hundred under the temple. Needle was too small to be a proper sword, it was hardly more than a toy. She’d been a stupid little girl when Jon had it made for her. “It’s just a sword,” she said, aloud this time. but it wasn’t"

-- "Egg, I dreamed that I was old"

manly tears :crying:

-- Sansa building a little snow-castle Winterfell scene

-- "Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy’s loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

dammit Theon, this is why..just... *keyboard smash*

-- "There are ghosts in Winterfell, he thought, and I am one of them."

Pretty much the whole scene and most of that chapter killed me

red wedding, ned's beheading, cersei's walk of shame (towards its end) theon chapters as reek, lysa's last moments before she flys out the moon door, lady's death, bechamber scene with sansa and sandor, sandor's deathbed

conefessions to arya, visery's death, what danny paid for with her son's life, jon's backstabbing, bran thinking of how he wants to tell meera he loves her, old nan seeing the dead corpses of

the boys who are supposed to be bran and rickon, and oh so many many more... :frown5:

Happiest moment for me in the series...especially towards its end

The thing about her time in Winterfell is that it represents the huge change in her lifestyle, which is what makes it paticulary sad. No one's arguing Mycah's story isn't sad, but we honestly don't know that much about him.

Are you seriously suggesting she went to Cersei because she wanted to get rid of her family? The fuck?

And no, she was struck more than four times. It's mentioned four times speficially in the text, but we see from Arys POV that he hated how he had strucken Sansa each time. (note, that means more than once, and considering Sansa views him in the light, it's safe to say he didn't hit her the most)

No one ever said Tyrion was cruel to her, but do you really think getting forceably married at age 13 isn't disturbing?

And you forgot to mention that she's basically being held captive by a child molestor now.

I don't think Sansa's story is necessarily the saddest, but your indifference to her suffering is frightening

*Huge chage in lifestyle makes it particulary sad. Grin :D . So in general kids who are born in the gutter and die abused in the gutter have it better than highborn kids. Oh how lucky those little weasels are.

*Are you seriously suggesting that I am seriously suggesting? Good grief, I say "egg" and you hatch ten thousand crippled chickens out of it. I said that she made an effort to sneak out and tell on her father to the good queen who was already proven to be so very kind. She chose to be queens pet rather than her fathers daughter. And without caring what will happen (I allow that she could have hardly imagined what will happen).

*I honestly admit not knowing how many times she was struck as I remember only two. Still nice the Hound didn't run her down.

*Marriage at 13 (even when you eagerly demanded it from the age of 11) is bad. However it was only words. And while I'm sorry for her I think getting her a divorce would be pretty far in Santa's "to do" list in Westeros.

*We will see what will happen with Littlefinger.

*I'm really quite idifferent. Boo! Not entirely indifferent though. Just hate fuss.

I'm sorry i'm one of those who thinks Cersei deserved that walk of shame :dunno:

Right on sister...and all she gets. So my saddest are:

Ned's death

Ned remembering how Lyanna died and her last words echoing in his head and dreams...even in the end.

Red wedding: Cat dying thinking she had lost all her sons and the last thing she sees as she is scratching her eyes out is her oldest being stabbed to death.

Red Wedding: what they did to Robb and defiled him and Greywind

Ice: being disfigured into a tool of the Lannisters

Jon: realization that he was all alone as Lord Commander with no one but the Crow and Ghost, who was part of him, as friends.

Jon: tortured by guilt over so many things....

Dany: losing Drogo she has been lost without him

Jorah: lost without Dany and now branded

Davos: the pain of losing all of his older sons at Blackwater, and the talisman of his fingers, also lost. They meant more than luck, but also the trust Stannis puts him in. Yeah Liam Cunningham!

Tyrion: as witty and brilliant as he is, his emotional, physical pain due to his being so small, has always pained me, and made him difficult to read sometimes. It is why I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, because you really are able to see Tyrion and all his majesty without the physical pain.

Arya: seeing the Red Wedding outside and knowing her brother and mother gone.

Arya: seeing her father die and knowing she had to be gone and fast. But awesome and sad to see how ruthless she has become when she slit the NW deserter's throat without a second thought.

That is all I can think of for now....

Sansa betrayed her own sister for a pretty boy - and lost her Direwolf in the process. Then she got her father killed by choosing the pretty boy and his scheming mother over her own father.

No big sympathy for her, other than loving The Hound refusing to hither.

- Marriage to Tyrion. The man is not a joy to the eyes and a Lannister. But he was nice to her from A to Z.

He was ready to marry a captive child of 12 in order to steal her inheritance, which would be hers when his family finished killing off her brothers, and not tell her until the day of the wedding. He almost went through with her rape. Before that, he'd made no active effort to get her exchanged (because having her in his family's hands was more useful, even though it left her in a situation where she was physically abused at his nephew's orders and later threatened with rape by Joffrey). And being a Lannister, when trusting that family had led to her situation and they had shown over and over again how ready they were to find new ways to abuse her, is somehow irrelevant?

Yeah, I'm never getting over how Tyrion is seen as having been nice to Sansa. Just because he wasn't a monster like Joffrey it doesn't mean he wasn't a participant in her abuse - passively in the time before he actually bothered to stop Joffrey, but actively when he chose to marry her to get Winterfell and wanted to have sex with his child bride on the wedding night because she's pretty. I don't know whether I'd call the wedding a sad moment, but it was a horrifying one - the "good" Lannister getting ready to rape a child forced into marriage, as seen from the child's POV. That Tyrion didn't go all the way through with the rape isn't a sign that he treated Sansa in a praiseworthy manner - as Chris Rock said, what do you want, a cookie? You're not supposed to rape children, not even in Westeros! The people who advocate that are those portrayed as the scum of the series, not its upstanding men and women.

Sansa betrayed her own sister for a pretty boy - and lost her Direwolf in the process. Then she got her father killed by choosing the pretty boy and his scheming mother over her own father.

No big sympathy for her, other than loving The Hound refusing to hither.

No Sansa "betrayed" her own sister for the man she was betrothed to, aka the man who'd later have the power of life and death over her (both because he'd be her husband and the King). Also I can never understand why Sansa gets all the blame for Lady's death : first it was Joffrey who lied about what happened, then Cersei who asked for her execution and finally Robert who acted like a wet blanket and decided not to stop it. But you know who else knew about what really happened and didn't say anything ? NED. Sansa told him what happened between Arya, Mycah and Joffrey, he knew the truth. He didn't say anything either. So you blame the scared 11-year-old for not saying anything in front of the King, the Queen, half the court and her future husband, but not the grown-ass man who's also Hand of the King when he does the same thing ? Sorry but that's bullshit.

And Sansa had nothing to do with Ned's death. He dug his own grave.

The heaviest moment for me was when Lady died but except for that there haven't been alot of stressing stuff. Reading about poor old Theon was a bit sad, but whole and not, but in general I didn't really have the same emotional respons to that as with Lady. Poor wolf.

Archived