Why is'nt Football the biggest sport in the world? Or at least in the olympics?

Gingerly Grumkin

Honestly I was a bit surprised to find that American football is even on the radar in some parts of the world. There actually is a noticeable international following, but I still wouldn't call it an 'international' sport and therefore its not a really good candidate for the Olympics.

The US doesn't need a free gold anyway. We kinda pwn at the Olympics as it is.

EDIT: Just decided to look this up. According to The Guardian Wayne Rooney makes about 26,000 pounds a day, which is equivalent to roughly $71,452,205 (US) a year if my math is right, will double check in a minute. Compared to the NFL's highest paid player (Mark Sanchez) who made $17,250,000 last year.

Rooney allegedly makes about £250,000 a week, which is £13 million a year. about $19-20 million dollars.

You could probably make a better case for them bringing back Tug-of-War as an Olympic sport. Or adding Paintball as an Olympic Sport (which would be awesome - you might see countries loading up their Olympic Teams with military/ex-military people).

Rooney allegedly makes about £250,000 a week, which is £13 million a year. about $19-20 million dollars.

Yeah I just fixed my math. I don't know how the hell I screwed that up so badly.

Not sure which it is then, it makes sense to me that he would earn more than an NFL player, perhaps that Guardian article I was looking at was outdated.

women's softball is out of the olympics for the same reason american football is not in it: not enough other countries play it. not real sure how that is so hard to understand. for the olympics to truly be a competition of the globe it is best they are playing games and sports that other countries actually play. not enough play softball or american football.

and concerning curling, it is winter olympics. the winter olympics let all kinds of things in that few countries play.

Mark Sanchez makes over 17 mil a year? Jesus Christ, what are they paying him for?

Edit: I'd say America's success at the Olympics derives from the huge population and broad mix of nationalities that are found here.

idk soccor players make bank

Sorry. Likely I wasn't being clear. I meant the costs of running an Olympic (American style football) national team would be cost prohibitive. I don't think the equipment costs compare to a Soccer team's. And isn't the team itself much larger? I think an American Football squad fields around 40 players...?

Curling isn't exactly prohibitive either, if you've got ice, some brooms, and a few smooth rocks you could piece a team together.

Anyway, the only Olympic sport where I get pissed when America loses is basketball.

um, that first piece of equipment mentioned does make it prohibitive. no matter how many smooth rocks the tunisian curling team finds they are still fucked.

um, that first piece of equipment mentioned does make it prohibitive. no matter how many smooth rocks the tunisian curling team finds they are still fucked.

Didn't stop us from starting a bobsled team :P

(Not saying it was a good idea but still)

Well, I mean, as a Winter Olympic sport I had already ruled out all those perpetually hot places. And they have an indoor ski resort in Dubai, surely the UAE could put together a curling squad!

Archived