who will be the "Regent" in the iron throne

Itai Peer

I think the real tipping point will be whether the Sand Snakes decide to support Margarey in her trial or not. We can assume that Cersei's own trial will result in her victory, and thus her religious absolution, but there is still residual public hatred of her that she cannot disspell just like that. The people will be conflicted over accepting an innocence verdict on Cersei if they don't have another queen to hate instead.

Margarey is the key here. If Tyene manages to infiltrate the religious order in King's Landing and turn them against Margarey, Lady Nym can work her own magic on some of the other judges. Supposing that they actually follow my line of thinking, Margarey will be found guilty against all odds, and she will no longer be perceived by the public as their wonderful queen, but as a scheming girl who, along with her family, is trying to take power from their sovereign king, who is young and unable to defend himself.

Once doubt is cast into the minds of the public, there will need to be countermeasures taken to avoid public rebellion against the Tyrell faction, and the only way I can see them fighting that is by renaming Cersei as Tommen's Regent.

Obviously, a lot of things need to happen for this to come to fruition, but if what I have laid out here is followed, Cersei's return to power is the only option until people become completely disillusioned with Tommen as their rightful king. There are numerous ways in which this whole thing falls apart, not the least being the instability of the Sand Snakes. I find it very difficult to believe that they would support Cersei's rise, but Tyene and Nym are not so rash as Obara, and they might have the foresight to note that Cersei could be a useful pawn for them, given her reputation for being influenced. If they kill off or disgrace the Tyrell faction, they lose one enemy, and then they can raise Cersei (who all players think of as a nutcase), who they can either advise to be an awesome ruler, or give her free reign to wreak havoc, which would reverse the renewed public support of her. Either way, I think this formula looks very good from the Martell perspective, because they manage to neutralize their two major enemies, and help clear the way for Aegon/Dany to return to the Throne.

BUT, this doesn't account for what Cersei herself would do if she came back to power. The Martells and the reader are given every reason to think that she would be just as crazy as she always has been, but there are some (myself included) that think her naked stroll up *Calvary Hill* will have changed her in some way. Personally, I'd like this change to come to the forefront if she resumes the regency, because it would turn every Targaryen restoration plan completely sideways (and open up the necessity for Aegon-Myrcella, I might add ;)).

GODS I love these books. So many possibilities!

Aegon-Myrcella? Are you forgetting Connington and co absolutely detest the Lannisters?

Nope. I just forgot to come up with a plausible scenario for JonCon to die early. XD

But I'm not saying any of this is going to happen, more just listing possibilities of ways that allow for Cersei to return to power, as that seems to be the focal point of this thread's discussion atm, lol

My theory is that if Cersei turned to the faith, they would make her outlaw the brothels in Kings Landing maybe demand that taxes are raised on the wealthy to feed the poor, try to have the throne find a way to rebuild the destroyed Septs, trials for the red Wedding, cersei would want anybody still in open rebellion to Tommen be declared an enemy of the faith. And I think the Myrcella thing is a possibility as well, Arrianne and her friends told her that they were trying to crown her because Tommen was surrounded by corrupt men, when she gets back to Kings Landing with all the stuff that is happening there, she will believe it. Cersei would like the idea of Myrcella marrying Rhaegars son.

Aegon-Myrcella? Are you forgetting Connington and co absolutely detest the Lannisters?

Not only that, but Connington has vowed, to himself at least, to destroy Robert Baratheon's bloodline. If he or his agents reach King's Landing before Aegon (who, being young and having no memories of Rhaegar or Elia or Rhaenys, might be disposed to extend mercy to children), and Myrcella and/or Tommen are there, one or both of the kids will probably be killed. I think Myrcella's being betrothed to Trystane could save her life, but I'm not sure that the Sand Snakes want her saved, it might take Arianne to speak up for her. I very much fear that Tommen will be murdered, though, poor kid; and very likely Shireen as well (she dreamt of dragons coming to eat her).

If Cersei regains power, and she seems very determined to do so, she'll probably institute such a reign of terror in King's Landing that both the High Septon (if still alive) and the smallfolk will welcome Aegon with open arms and cheers, as per Dany's vision.

If Cersei regains power, and she seems very determined to do so, she'll probably institute such a reign of terror in King's Landing that both the High Septon (if still alive) and the smallfolk will welcome Aegon with open arms and cheers, as per Dany's vision.

If Cersei becomes regent she will not have the power to institute a reign of terror, the Faith has its own cadre of knights and poor fellows, Mace and Tarly still have sizable armies near Kings Landing, the Gold Cloaks are under the control of a Tyrell loyalist and they have planted thier own men within the ranks and are notouriously unreliable anyway. Connigton might not be around to much longer and can be overruled by Aegon in any event.

It seems that way doesn't it, I think from what Ser Kevan was saying the Lannister army has kind of gotten bogged down in the Riverlands, their strength melting away.

And you know what that means... HOORAY for future dodgy alliances!

The Hight Septon wants the full powers of the Faith restored. I doubt the regency or the position of Hand are part of his plans. It is more likely that he would want sizable donations of gold (to better arm the faith militant) and a permanent seat for the faith on the small council. I doubt he thinks of rule, but rather of influencing things in the realm.

Its all but certain that Mace will assume the regency and name one of his principal bannerman hand (Mathis Rowan if he has not been captured by Connington). As it stands, the entire small council will be made up of Tyrell loyalists. There is really no one left for the Lannisters to rely on except for Qyburn, the few hundred guardsmen left and Ser Robert Strong. Things look pretty dire for the lions, but expect Cersei to pull something now that Kevan is no longer around to check her.

I just have a feeling that something will go terribly wrong during the trials. Ser Robert might not work as expected. I think the High Septon is a big wild card and probably one f the most dangerous threats to the kingdom, and if the Tyrells eat everything he says in order to have more power in the council, enven the regency itself and save the young queen, well things wont be so good, and i would imagine him not caring for the results of Cerceis trial by battle.

I just have a feeling that something will go terribly wrong during the trials. Ser Robert might not work as expected. I think the High Septon is a big wild card and probably one f the most dangerous threats to the kingdom, and if the Tyrells eat everything he says in order to have more power in the council, enven the regency itself and save the young queen, well things wont be so good, and i would imagine him not caring for the results of Cerceis trial by battle.

The High Septon is certainly a major threat as he is poised to turn the people of Kings Landing (all 500,000 of them) against the Tyrells and Lannisters. It will be a delicate balance to keep him happy but not empower him too much.

Seems likely that Mace will try to take the regency as the Tyrells by far predominate now. However, it is possible that some violent turns of events might end up impacting who gains it. I expect that at some point the High Septon is going to totally turn against the Tyrells-Lannisters, perhaps upon seeing the nature and identity of the undead Kingsguard member. Varys has a strong interest in causing this to happen as it would immediately send overwhelming shockwaves of doubt about Tommen's legitimacy throughout the Seven Kingdoms. Aegon is an extremely attractive option for the High Septon, especially is one of the "queens" is convicted.

If somehow Cersei regains the regency the capital will be soaked in blood with major internal warfare. That would distract most of the forces that might otherwise face Aegon on the battlefield.

The only thing we have to go on here is Lisa Arryn, the fact that she was Robert Arryns Mother allowed to act as his regent or to name one. By what right did Cersei have the regency in the first place? Ser Kevan believed it was her right in AFFC, all though he felt she should have appointed him. Does her walk and trial forfiet this right? This will somewhat depend on whether Robert Strong wins or not. Perhaps the faith will insist that she remarries? Name her husband regent, but who? Wilas Tyrell maybe, I don't know, I don't see peole standing in line for that.

• 3 weeks later...

There will be blood between Tyrells and what remains of Lannisters. Loras and Margaery were betrayed by Cersei.

Probably Garlan will die or get lamed trying to get revenge and fighting Robert Strong. Garlan is good with the sword (he fights three guys when he trains, and Loras admit his older brother is a better swordman), so he may want to avenge his younger brothers.

Lord Tyrell held a grudge for years with Oberyn for laming Willas. If Loras and Garlan are both collaterals of Cersei plots, things will get very interesting.

And I for one would love to see UnGregor and Garlan cross swords (more interesting that UnGregor vs a random Ser Please-beat-me-to-a-pulp).

Cersei is going to be regent until Aegon/Dany arrives, if the Tyrells give any problem (Which I doubt, because they will be busy enough fighting Euron&Aegon) Varys will make sure to erase that problem.

Cersei will probably turn KL in to a bloodbath fighting the High Septon, eventually will spend more Lannister gold in sellswords, Call LF, The few Lannister army left at Riverlands, Roose Bolton for help and they will just ignore her.

The faith had around 400 knights ( I think?) and they were increasing the number every day, as jarl the climber said, they will receive Aegon/Dany with open arms.

By the time of the Trial, I believe Aegon/Dany will be already on KL. The Riverlands in control of Tully, North probably at war or back to Stark.

I, like many others, think Cersei is the leading candidate but if I had to pick one other person to be named Regent I could see Willas getting the nod. Everyone is saying he will be a better Lord than his father, why not have him mentor his brother in law?

I also feel like Willas is due an arrival in King's Landing.

Might as well throw my guess into the pot! :)

I think Mace Tyrell will become the regent and he will promote Randyll Tarly to Hand.

I feel like Mace is the obvious pick because he's father of the queen (Marg), has plenty of lordly experience (Lord of Highgarden), and has been the most recent Hand (consider how quickly Eddard went from Hand to Regent to prisoner). Cersei has the second best claim, having been a past Regent, but it's just not going to happen after her walk of shame (Kevan thought it, and she even thought so herself).

There have been three Regents in this series. Here's how they came to be: Ned was named Regent by Robert but the title was only as strong as the paper it was written on. Cercei declared herself Regent to Joff after Ned's arrest and then declared herself Regent again to Tommen after Joff died. After the fall of Cercei, the Faith of the Seven named Kevan as Regent.

If the mother of a king can declare herself Regent, why not the father of a queen? And if Mace became Regent, I think the most likely candidate for Hand would be Randyll Tarly, his most fierce and loyal bannerman. The Hand has to be a hard ass dispenser of justice... and who better exemplifies that than Tarly?

Now aside from using logic, I feel this makes the best sense for the story as well. Varys claims he killed Kevan only because he was undoing all of Cersei's "good work" (read: screw ups). If Mace becomes Regent, the Lannister/Tyrell alliance is put on even thinner ice. The Lannisters will fall even further and it will really put the survival of their house on the shoulders of Tywin's three children. Dorne and Highgarden hate each other and this will beautifully set up a climax for their conflict (methinks Dorne will certainly back Aegon if a Tyrell becomes Regent and Nymeria and Tyene can do all sorts of wicked things from inside King's Landing).

Even though there won't be any new viewpoints in The Winds of Winter (according to what I've heard), there's still Cersei who could be named to the small council should she survive her trial. Barring that, if Jaime survives his little trip with Brienne, he'd eventually come back to King's Landing as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and still have his seat on the small council as well.

But hey, my words could be full of wind! It's fun to guess anyway! :)

Archived