who will be the "Regent" in the iron throne

Itai Peer

By what right did Cersei have the regency in the first place? Ser Kevan believed it was her right in AFFC, all though he felt she should have appointed him. Does her walk and trial forfiet this right? This will somewhat depend on whether Robert Strong wins or not. Perhaps the faith will insist that she remarries? Name her husband regent, but who? Wilas Tyrell maybe, I don't know, I don't see peole standing in line for that.

The only right Cersei had was that she was most recently the queen of the realm, her son was now king but not old enough to rule (must be 16), and... she controlled the goldcloaks when Ned thought they'd have his back. :P I certainly can't see her ever ruling as Regent again. Aside from the "been there done that" angle, her walk of shame completely stripped her of all the power she ever had. At least, that's what GRRM wants us to believe with all the narrative surrounding Tytos' paramour who was basically the ruler of Casterly rock until Tywin sent her on a very similar naked parade after Tytos died.

Mace Tyrell. He is the Hand of the King and is the father of Tommen's wife. I think Varys planned this to push Dorne into rebellion on the side of Aegon. Then again, I believe Varys is "the good guy" in the story and is trying to end the Blackfyre Rebellions (real Blackfyres or not) by getting Aegon Blackfyre and Daenerys Targaryen to wed and rule together. In the end, he will serve the realm and give it security it has not had in over 100 years.

Sansa will become regent. She is Tommen's aunt.

A joke, right? Because she is a huge fugitive, wanted under suspicion of conspiring with Tyrion in the murder of Joffrey. Not to mention her appearance would kill Ramsay's claim to Winterfell.

Mace Tyrell. He is the Hand of the King and is the father of Tommen's wife. I think Varys planned this to push Dorne into rebellion on the side of Aegon. Then again, I believe Varys is "the good guy" in the story and is trying to end the Blackfyre Rebellions (real Blackfyres or not) by getting Aegon Blackfyre and Daenerys Targaryen to wed and rule together. In the end, he will serve the realm and give it security it has not had in over 100 years.

One of the biggest mysteries left in the series is true intentions of Varys. Is he doing all of this for the children (as he says)? Is he a secret Blackfyre/Targaryen? Does he want power? The answers to these questions and others are anyone's guess.

I for one have no clue what side he is on. Ser Barristan says he fed Aerys paranoia, but he also counseled Aerys to not open his gates for Tywin. He secretly has Aegon raised in safety but left Dany and Viserys to the dogs. I really hope we find out his true end game.

The obvious choice is Tyrell. But Martin rarely goes for obvious things.

So what are the possible options?

- Tyrell

- Cersei

- Jaime

- Martyn

- The High Septon

I can almost see GRRM going for the Faith ruling the kingdom. There is logic in this. Let's asume Cersei wins her court, then she is the rightful regent, but wait, The Faith took it all from here with the nude walking and all the other things, so because of this we may assume that the High Septon might want the spot of regent for himself. This is the scenario i can see, however Tyrell being the regent and Tarly being the hand is the most obvious choice.

The obvious choice is Tyrell. But Martin rarely goes for obvious things.

So what are the possible options?

I don't think it's supposed to be some big mystery. I think we just have to think of the consequences of it, and how that connects to Varys' actions with Pycelle and Kevan. I stated in an earlier post how Mace Tyrell as regent would strengthen Aegon's force.

Yeah, I can see this, but even Varys can't predict what will happen. The mistake Cersei made by allowing The Faith to have their own army is something I think is going to be key to everything happening in KL. That's why I stick to my opinion and I think the High Septon will play even bigger role. /i just dont like Tyrell prolly/

I think Mace Tyrell will win the fight for regency, for Margaery. Margaery is old enough to claim the regency for her husband.

i think this sounds the most likely, it it will coincide with the bottoming out that Cersi is experiencing. her arch enemy winning becoming regnant will make her have an even more extreme breakdown, because she will think the prophesy is coming true....

I nominate Genna Lannister.

More likely to be Margaery though, IMO. I wouldn't make the mistake of counting Cersei out though, she's a fighter and resorceful as heck when her back is against the wall, but she doesn't have enough (any) allies. My money is definately on Marg. Tommen and the realm could do a lot worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Varys wants Cersei as regent. I guess he made it clear when he killed Kevan Lannister with a crosbow. it will be thrill to read Cersei's paranoia in tWoW.

However i don't think her "ruling" will be long one. I really think The Hound will champion the Faith in Cersei's trial by combat. And her head will be rolling on Baelor's steps

Cersei will be Regent. She may take actions against the Tyrells swiftly as Varys might suspect. Cersei and some Lannister supporters will most likely blame the Tyrells for Kevan and Pycelle's murders. I think Ser Robert Strong will be doing some hunting soon.

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at the lannister section of the appendix there are many choices from casterly rock that could be summoned to kings landing to serve as regent including tygett, his great uncle, but there are also people like Little finger who served on the council for many years and is now lord of harrenhall.

Personally i think some of you are correct to assume that the faith will take control

If you look at the lannister section of the appendix there are many choices from casterly rock that could be summoned to kings landing to serve as regent including tygett, his great uncle, but there are also people like Little finger who served on the council for many years and is now lord of harrenhall.

Personally i think some of you are correct to assume that the faith will take control

Tygett Lannister is dead.

Whoever ends up as the Hand, I have ym money on a Tyrell. Lannisters are immediately the *tsk tsk* branch of Westeros after Cersei's mistakes, so I can definitely see Tyrell's, especially with Olenna being...well...Olenna.

I actually think we might see more of Martyn Lannister in Winds... I hope so !

Were I member of a lesser branch of Lannisters, I'd be trying to avoid getting saddled with a decidedly risky regency that's at best only going to last until Tommen is grown. I'd be angling for control over Casterly Rock. One big problem Tywin always had was that his firstborn son had been pulled into the Kingsguard by Aerys II, and Tyrion was Tyrion.

Archived