**Spoiler Alert** What To Do About Joffrey?

Lady Eireanne Stark

I actually felt a pang of pity when Joffrey was dying. His death was so horrible, and if I recall correctly the way Martin wrote the scene, describing Joffrey reach out to Tyrion (I think?) and Tyrion wasn't sure if he was blaming him or if he was begging for his assistance...it was kind of sad, actually.

He was a horrible person and his death was equally horrible. Not always pretty, no matter how much the person deserves it.

I actually felt a pang of pity when Joffrey was dying. His death was so horrible, and if I recall correctly the way Martin wrote the scene, describing Joffrey reach out to Tyrion (I think?) and Tyrion wasn't sure if he was blaming him or if he was begging for his assistance...it was kind of sad, actually.

He was a horrible person and his death was equally horrible. Not always pretty, no matter how much the person deserves it.

Honestly, after how Robb was killed I literally read Joffreys death scene 5 straight times and laughed my ass off. The little bastard got what he deserved in so many ways. The only thing that would have made it better is if Sansa did it. But oh well can have cake and eat it too but I can damn have some pigeon pie and wine :)

I can't help but think Cersei was responsible for the way Joffrey turned out. As much of an evil bastard as he seemed, I was happy he was dead but I couldn't help get a little chill during that death scene. It's going to be quite amazing on HBO.

The Red Wedding shocked me but I didn't care that much about Catelyn or Robb dying. I knew the idiotic political decisions Robb made would come back to bite him somehow, I just didn't know how. He certainly had it coming almost as much as Joffrey did, to be honest.. I liked Robb as a character, he wasn't a bad dude, but never having a POV of his, I wasn't terribly attached.

And I just plain never liked Catelyn.

I was shocked and disappointed with how Joffrey died. I wanted him to have a more violent and humiliating death, like getting eaten alive by one of the remaining direwolves.

I was not disappointed at all. It was surprising and satisfying. Joffrey didn't deserve to die at the hands of Grey Wind. He was scum and he got a scumbags death, a mouth full of shit and unable to speak.

That would have been dumb. I like how Martin doesn't give in to the reader's desires and cravings.

I agree. I found myself wanting Nymeria to come save Arya so many times. But I realized how stupid that would be. These books aren't folksy or childlike at all. They, in actuality are very real stories of people and how they deal with the hands they are dealt. The book portrays what happens in the real world, life sucks more times than it is awesome. And for people who believe the grass is greener for those who seem to have it all, they are just as miserable in their own right. What RRM manages to capture are the very real emotional conflicts that come with life.

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining anyone (other than Cersei, of course) who would be upset at Joff's death. I wish we could have gotten a better reaction from Sansa at Joff's death though. I'm sure she's the one that wanted him dead, the most.

Joff was a horrible person... and he had no real hope of ever being anything but. That old arguement of nature vs. nurture? Joff was screwed on both ends... His mother (and biological father) are both prone to being bad people, as is his grandfather, Tywin. And he was brought up by Cersei... So that's a strike for nature and for nurture.

I think his death suited him just fine. He had thousands of guests watch him die, just has he had so many people around when he shamed Sansa, amongst others. It was horrific, but I also think it was deserving. How could someone like Robb suffer and not Joff?

Joff was a spoiled sadist with traits of a psychopath - I welcomed his death but it was no consolation after the Red Wedding.

A part of me always wished Arya got to play a part in Joff's death... glad to see her prayer came true... I hope her list foreshadows the people who will eventually die off...

I don't really understand how he died. Is amethyst poisonous? Did Dontos drop it in the pie? I think Sansa was kind of in shock and that's why her reaction was a bit off; everything happened so fast. I can't reread the section because I checked the book out from the library.

I was happy Joff died, but I didn't understand why Cersei blamed Tyrion so vehemently and immediately. It's like she's never concerned with justice, just goes with her gut reaction. If someone killed my Kid I would want to know who did it so I could make them pay...sure I would want someone to pay but I would want it to be the guilty person. :dunno:

Cersei blames Tyrion bc Joff was reaching at him as he died and she interpreted it as pointing/accusing. She has always had it out for Tryion ever since their mother died giving birth to him. Since Joff had just been humiliating him and he is the one who poured the wine it looked like he is the one who poisoned him.

I will explain how he died in this spoiler bc I don't remember which book it was explained so well in:

Sansa was instructed to wear a certain hairpiece to dinner. The hairnet had the purple stones all over it. All or some of these purple stones, that looked like ordinary amethysts, were actually the strangling poison. Lady Olenna Tyrell ( or whichever one is the Queen of Thorns) came by and straightened Sansa's hairpiece, and when she did she took one of the stones, and later dropped it into Joff's wine when no one was looking. This never sat right with me bc it seemed clear in the book that the poison was in the pigeon pie, not the wine. But I digress.

What I noted when reading this and the subsequent escape from KL is that Sansa is still in possession of the hairpiece, which means she could poison someone if she wanted to get them out of her way....

Hey guys,

Firstly I'm new here but am loving everyone's posts' and it's so great to see everyone else's point of view on what is fast becomming my favourite series of books!

Okay so stop reading now if you haven't finished this book as it contains a major spoiler!

Anyone else shout with joy when Joffrey died? i know I did, I HATED HIM! and I could see that he would have been a terrible terrible leader when he was finally able to make all the descisions himself!!

I was sad that Tyrion got blamed but he made so many enemies that it wasn't really suprising, for someone so clever he sure is stupid sometimes haha!

Oh and on a side note, who thinks Jamie is actually just a wimp? I also can't feel sorry for him for losing his hand because everytime i try I think of what he did to poor Bran who was a defensless child!

Okay thanks for reading and my apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes :)

Yeah, I just regretted he didn't suffer more pain, like loosing someone he loved (as his bitch as a mother). But that was good just, even better after this disappointing Red Wedding

And anyway...I thought the pie was poisoned, not the wine. My first guess was that someone was trying to poison Tyrion, and who would have guessed Joff would come over and start shoveling Tyrion's pie into his mouth?

I had the exactly same guess... It would be ironic and much more fun. Even though his death is sweet by any means, it would be better if it came from someone else than Littlefinger, cause there was no explicit hate between them, so it doesn's seem like a real revenge... But still, It was great rsrs.

Cersei blames Tyrion bc Joff was reaching at him as he died and she interpreted it as pointing/accusing. She has always had it out for Tryion ever since their mother died giving birth to him. Since Joff had just been humiliating him and he is the one who poured the wine it looked like he is the one who poisoned him.

I will explain how he died in this spoiler bc I don't remember which book it was explained so well in:

Sansa was instructed to wear a certain hairpiece to dinner. The hairnet had the purple stones all over it. All or some of these purple stones, that looked like ordinary amethysts, were actually the strangling poison. Lady Olenna Tyrell ( or whichever one is the Queen of Thorns) came by and straightened Sansa's hairpiece, and when she did she took one of the stones, and later dropped it into Joff's wine when no one was looking. This never sat right with me bc it seemed clear in the book that the poison was in the pigeon pie, not the wine. But I digress.

What I noted when reading this and the subsequent escape from KL is that Sansa is still in possession of the hairpiece, which means she could poison someone if she wanted to get them out of her way....

Thanks I forgot all about the poison. When I read that part, I honestly thought he was choking on the pie XD

Archived